Is this allowed?
damooster Wrote:Some examples include the head pastor's dog sleeping on the altar during Mass and another pastor having us sit on the altar during daily Mass because there's only 3 or 4 people there (I only attended daily Mass once there because of this...it didn't feel right).

Do you mean on the altar or in the sanctuary? Sounds like the priest really resents his vocation, either way.
WilfredLeblanc Wrote:Do you mean on the altar or in the sanctuary? Sounds like the priest really resents his vocation, either way.

I meant under the altar. Or the dog will sit next to the band.
RUN!!!
Your faith is at stake.  Get to a Traditional Latin Mass even if you have to drive an hour.  This is just nonsense.  I would call it silly but that is being disengenuous.  This Mass is illicit not to mention a total disregard for the sanctity of Christ.  Do you want to be a part of that? 
Be glad you at least got the scrutinies - when I converted they didn't do them because "there are only 2 of you, and I don't see the point" - priests words.

The dog thing is extremely concerning... I mean it would be one thing if you were doing an outdoor mass or something or even a Franciscan mass for animals, but generally?  Yea... that's bad... something should be said about that one.... find an older member of the congregation that would object too... they typically have the standing to complain.

As for sitting on the altar for mass...  I'd say a lot depends upon how the parish is designed.  There is nothing explicitly wrong according to the cannons about sitting on the altar.  For many, the intimacy of it all becomes a high point in their devotion.  You can also view it as a reminder, theologically, that God came down to man to prove that we should would never be alone - nunc sola.  If you or anyone else feels extremely disturbed by it, go sit in the pews, there's nothing particularly wrong with that either.

What I would caution against is one of the common traps of trads - that of confining God.  We tend to elevate Him so much and enforce so much reverence that sometimes the point is lost: God chose to tear the veil.  He incarnated in order that we might be close to Him and His Heart. 

Finally, use these occasions of discomfort to reflect inward.  Few things are entirely good or entirely bad, liturgy included.  God uses these times of discomfort to remind us where we might be lacking ourselves.  If something such as coming close to the altar makes you uncomfortable, ask yourself why.  Is there a middle way, that like JPII, manages to convey holiness and reverence all the while being completely open and loving?
To the previous post, all I have to say is GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!

'Confining God' indeed.
I have a question about the line "sitting on the altar".

Do you mean "sitting on the altar steps" or on the actual altar?

I am flabbergasted that anyone would sit on the actual altar. 
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:I have a question about the line "sitting on the altar".

Do you mean "sitting on the altar steps" or on the actual altar?

I am flabbergasted that anyone would sit on the actual altar. 

Sorry for the confusion. I'm trying to use the right terminology so as not to offend anyone. I've been told conflicting things, so I'll just come out with it: we sat on the stage, and our chairs surrounded the altar. I was told that calling the stage a stage is incorrect and offensive, and was told that the whole area up front is considered the altar. Is this correct?
Gie2me Wrote:Does he sip on coffee while saying the opening prayers of Mass too?

Why do you attend where there is deliberate abuse?

Because I'm still trying to determine what is acceptable/allowed and what is not. I know that seeing a dog sleeping under the altar is personally offensive to me, but I don't know if it breaks any rules. Besides, I'm just hanging on until baptism and then I'll start going somewhere else. The parochial vicar at my home parish did tell me that I could get baptized with his RCIA class at Easter if I provided a note from my current RCIA director showing that I've been attending RCIA, but I started two months late and don't want the home parish to rethink me getting baptized on Easter and make me start RCIA over again.
damooster Wrote:Sorry for the confusion. I'm trying to use the right terminology so as not to offend anyone. I've been told conflicting things, so I'll just come out with it: we sat on the stage, and our chairs surrounded the altar. I was told that calling the stage a stage is incorrect and offensive, and was told that the whole area up front is considered the altar. Is this correct?

I understand.  The area that is the "stage" is more properly called the "chancel".  It's also generally referred to as the "sanctuary" (since most chancels don't also include a choir area).  The main FE website has a good general floor-plan here: http://www.fisheaters.com/churchbuilding.html.  If your parish is a round spaceship or a rectangle-church-in-the-round, you'll just have to make the layout fit your particular reinvented-wheel.  :)

I think you meant to say that you sat on chairs in the sanctuary-- and it's less reprehensable to hear that.  In a traditional understanding of the Mass, you wouldn't be doing that.  You'd be in the pews like everyone else.  In the ordinary 21st-Century understanding of the Mass, you're lucky to not have been suspended from the ceiling like a Cirque de Soleil production.

So there's that.

This thread has good advice.  You've done too much time in RCIA to bother backing out this close to the end.  But your parish and its pastor appear to have... problems.  You should start looking for a new Traditional parish the week after Easter.