What's your confirmation name? (newest thread)
moneil Wrote:Was there a Mass with your Confirmation?  It very well may have been pretty much the old rite, with perhaps a few ancillary rituals removed because of their being a Mass also.

One thing I remember, when we rehearsed for the origional form (outside of Mass), there was one altar server who carried a small silver tray with a crucifix on it, covered by a white linen cloth.  We processed from the sacristy around the church to the vestibule (out of sight and sound of everybody) and stoped.  Everybody knelt down (except the Bishop, I think).  The crucifix was uncovered, sprinkled with Holy Water, and censed.  The Bishop said some prayers in Latin, then the crucifix was covered up (not to be used again, I don't believe), we all got up, and the procession continued on to the sanctuary.  To this day I have no clue what the ritual was all about, or what it's connection to Confirmation might be.  If Father Cekada should peek in on this thread, perhaps he knows [Image: smile.gif].  That was one ritual that was absent when we re-rehearsed for the Confirmation ceremony held with a Mass.

Otherwise, I don't really remember how much different the Confirmation with a Mass in 1965 was from my Confirmation in 1964.  After all, that was 44 years ago, and you can imagine how well 8th. graders paid attention to those details.

But, if your Confirmation had been at St. Patrick's in Pasco, WA (Diocese of Spokane) I would have been one of the altar servers!

Funny the things we remember and don't remember. I was only 9. I wasn't paying attention to if it was a Mass or not.. I just assumed it was.

What I DO remember is that it was a beautiful breezy March evening, very much like tonight. We wore our navy blue school uniforms and had red capes and red birettas. I felt like a Cardinal.. or Little Red Riding Hood! I took my great-grandmother's name (Philomena). I chose my Aunt Mary to be my sponsor. Her gift to me was a heart-shaped pendant with the Holy Face of Jesus. In school we had learned about Sts. Agnes and Tarcisius; how they gave their lives for the Faith and how we might be called on to do the same some day. Archbishop Alter officiated. As we all processed down the aisle in our little red capes and birettas, I'm sure we looked like tongues of fire LOL  Beautiful memories. :)

- Lisa
piabee Wrote:
DeiMateralma Wrote:Rose

I was 9.

Ditto!

To Rose or being nine (both?)

piabee Wrote:
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Wenceslaus.

Seriously.

I was a strange 13-year-old.
Awesome.

I was and still am strange. :P

Joseph.  I was 12.  My son just had his confirmation last week.  His name is Jude.
Reading these stories reminded me of my own, this is a nice thread.

I was 11 or 12 and I chose Elizabeth.  The Archbishop confirmed our class and after the ceremony, which was packed and took about two hours, there was a reception in the parish hall with even more people.  Everybody's entire extended family was there and you could barely move. It was getting pretty warm.  Lots of people were kissing the Archbishop's ring, and he was starting to look a little green around the gills.  While this was happening most of our fathers were imbibing adult beverages and most of our mothers were chattering and taking pictures.  At one point some little kids formed a mob and chased each other around the room, nearly toppling the cakes (It should be noted that this was a school night).  My family had another party at the weekend.  The festivities had little or nothing to do with my spiritual development and aside from the priests and nuns at school, nobody mentioned that part of it to me at all.  It was kind of confusing.
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:Thomas More. I was 18. I sometimes use "Thomas More" as two middle names when writing.

Since we're adding stories now, I'll say that my Confirmation was administered by my pastor immediately after my Baptism in a corner of the church (the baptistery was still under construction at that time, but looks great now), after having received approval for it by the Archbishop via email. It was on Christmas Eve of 2005 around noon. The only ones present were myself, my godfather (my stepfather), my best friend taking the picture, and of course, the pastor and the deacon assisting him. Ah, yes, there I am.
I was confirmed age 17 and my confirmation name is Benedict (same as my maternal grandmother). There was no slap!

After I started attending the SSPX chapel, the priests urged me to be conditionally confirmed when Bishop Williamson came in 1999 (I was 21 then) and I agreed - and definitely got a slap from him!

In retrospect, I am not so sure it was correct of me to be conditionally confirmed. I was new to the traditionalist scene and was pushed to it by our priest, not that that lessens the responsibility on my side I admit.

God bless.
Honesty I don't remember if We got the Slap or not, but it was 2003 at St Mary's University with Archbishop Flores. They did all the college students being confirmed at once.

They didn't rehearse or anything with us - just told us to show up and wear red.

I remember thinking how ugly the church {it's really mobern} was as compared to the one at UIW.

dakotamidnight Wrote:Honesty I don't remember if We got the Slap or not, but it was 2003 at St Mary's University with Archbishop Flores. They did all the college students being confirmed at once.

They didn't rehearse or anything with us - just told us to show up and wear red.

I remember thinking how ugly the church {it's really mobern} was as compared to the one at UIW.

It's cool that you wore red. We were told to wear white or pale colors (girls) and the guys just wore suits. But the symbolism of the red makes the idea very cool.
libby Wrote:
oremus Wrote:Joyce. I was 8. Can someone tell me what saint that name refers to? The names had to be approved, and that's the one mom wrote on the paper. (Mom wasn't a churchgoer.)

I've never heard of St. Joyce.

Joyce = Joy

Your saint would be St. Gaudentia or Saint Felicitas ( my aunt!)

Cool! Thanks so much.
I was confirmed in November 1964, old rite, one month after my First Communion. Got the slap. Us 2nd grade girls got to wear our First Communion dress (without veil) for Confirmation also. Two parties only a month apart with a fancy decorated cake at each one! God bless my grandmother for insisting we receive the sacraments.