New Missal of Benedict XVI
Gee....

From Here

According to leaks from sources close to Archbishop Burke, the Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura, Pope Benedict XVI is set to abolish the Novus Ordo by introducing a New Missal of Benedict XVI. It is reported that the proceedings are being carred out behind closed doors but some leaks have come through of what it will entail:

The Liturgy of the Eucharist will more closely reflect the Mass of the Faithful in the Missal of Pius V.

The expanded lectionary will remain intact for the Liturgy of the Word.

The "peace" will be moved away from the eucharistic prayers and more toward the beginning of the mass, or just after the creed.

Various eucharistic prayers from the Missal of Paul VI (Novus Ordo) will be entirely suppressed. The calendars for both the Novus Ordo and Tridentine will be reconciled

It is also being said that the new 'Benedictine' Missal will contain rubrics for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Mass, presumably in an attempt to mould the Ordinary Form into the dignified liturgy VII had intended.
[-]
  •
It doesn't suprise me. Before he was even elected people were predicting a 'hybrid' mass. I welcome it as long as the Latin Mass is kept along.
didishroom Wrote:It doesn't suprise me. Before he was even elected people were predicting a 'hybrid' mass. I welcome it as long as the Latin Mass is kept along.

Yeah apparently it will be.
If it didn't his MP would all been a lie.
Hegelian Dialectic anyone?!
This will come to pass. It won't happen in our lifetimes. It would be an absolute disaster.

The Latin Rite would be divided into sharper camps than is already the case. A large chunk of people would refuse this hypothetical Missal, and they would stay with the NO as we're used to it. A substantial amount of people will not give up the 1962 Missal. Some will go along with it. Some will loose all faith in liturgical prayer. A synthesis like this would not work.

The liturgical situation right now is miserable as it is. Try saying the new Office and attending the old Mass (obviously with different calendars). It's such a headache! Now imagine a third form of Mass and a third edition of the Office.

The NO "has issues," but at this point it's best to hold the line and make lemonade with the NO lemons God has given us.

I hope we aren't just being teased by a rumor. There have been a lot of liberties taken "in the spirit of Vatican II". Worst of all has been the music. My parish hardly uses any music written before the 60's. The Church needs to celebrate the liturgy in a way that hasn't been watered down to be accessable to everyone, but meaningful to no one.
The author of the story has his story sideways, it's just the new English translation of the Missal when you track down the sources of his story.

Move along, nothing happening here.
The old bait-and-switch? I pray not.
The pope is trying to reform the reformed Mass? Is not that like trying to cut out the poisoned part of the cake? Throw out the whole cake!

It would be so much easier to just go back to Tradition since everything is already prepared. We have the Tridentine Latin Mass, The St. Pius V Missal, The Catechism of Trent, and The 1917 Code of Canon Law.
If only Benedict was only doing just the first part of this thread's title...