New Missal of Benedict XVI
That's not abolishing the Novus Ordo, that's just retooling it like they do every two years or so.  The only difference is B16 is retooling it in a different direction than previously (i.e., he is retooling it towards orthodoxy instead of towards heterdoxy).

Ditto what Quis said.

I think this is however a good move. No, it isn't a total return of the tridentine, but I think we may be headed step by stwp toward what is basically just an englist Tridentine. Not ideal, but better than what we have now.

As much asI woulf love to have the Tridentine back in full force as the ordinary form of the Mass, I know that it woukd not be accepted by a great number of those in the Church. Sudden changes with little warning would only make people who are attached to the NO resist. Perhaps eventually the change will occur, but I think that if it does it will be due to a gradual shift in Mass attendance toward the Tridentine. IF PEOPLE IN FUTURE GENERATIONS DECIDE THEY DON'T WANT THE NO, IT MAY BE PHASED OUT! I don't think that will happen overnight, but I do hope I live to see it.
The title is mis-leading, I'll change it.
Quote:It is also being said that the new 'Benedictine' Missal will contain rubrics for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Mass, presumably in an attempt to mould the Ordinary Form into the dignified liturgy VII had intended.

It will definitely be a hybrid -- a composition of the holy and the not-so-holy.  Sorry for being blunt about the distinction.

The conciliarists are now so inured to abuse that they believe they have ecclesiastical license to do what they want with the Mass, including exploiting it for their use.  Do we think that irreverent Fr. Joe is now going to be reverent Fr. Joe? 

Bring the NOM as it was intended by the Council and keep the Immemorial Mass alone. 
I believe that you misunderstood the message. The 1962 Missal will remain intact except the calendar, only printed together with the reformed Novus Ordo, representing the unity of the Church

http://ulstertaig.blogspot.com/2009/03/p...issal.html

The kalendar was constantly changing throughout the centuries, only those who want to break the unity will consider it unchangeable.

My guess is that the SSPX, FSSP, Institute of Christ the King and similar groups will welcome it, and those 'to the right' from them, who are divided between themselves too, will go on the road of the 'Old Catholics' from after Vatican I : married priests, charismatics, so worldly instead of representing the true Church.

laszlo

Credo Wrote:Hegelian Dialectic anyone?!
This will come to pass. It won't happen in our lifetimes. It would be an absolute disaster.

The Latin Rite would be divided into sharper camps than is already the case. A large chunk of people would refuse this hypothetical Missal, and they would stay with the NO as we're used to it. A substantial amount of people will not give up the 1962 Missal. Some will go along with it. Some will loose all faith in liturgical prayer. A synthesis like this would not work.

The liturgical situation right now is miserable as it is. Try saying the new Office and attending the old Mass (obviously with different calendars). It's such a headache! Now imagine a third form of Mass and a third edition of the Office.

The NO "has issues," but at this point it's best to hold the line and make lemonade with the NO lemons God has given us.
QuisUtDeus Wrote:That's not abolishing the Novus Ordo, that's just retooling it like they do every two years or so.  The only difference is B16 is retooling it in a different direction than previously (i.e., he is retooling it towards orthodoxy instead of towards heterdoxy).

Imho this is the only way back to the normalcy: the unity of the liturgy. Any abrupt change would result in the second Western schism.

We all have to pray for the long life of our Pope, and for the cardinals, that after his death a pope with similar qualities would be elected.

laszlo

I'm waiting for someone to jump in here and call the Holy Father a Hegalian idiot. So far no one has (seriously). Maybe they fixed their ideas.

I seriously hope this is true.
Quote: Any abrupt change would result in the second Western schism.

I beg your pardon, perhaps you weren't around in 69-71 but rest assured the implementation of the Novus Ordo was a VIOLENTLY ABRUPT CHANGE that knocked people for a complete loop. It did me and all of my contemporaries, our parent's and grandparent's generations too.

Why no handwringing about 'schism' back then?? The changes post VII turned the Church on it's head, and not one peep that any of it was an act of schism. In the blink of an eye the TLM was unceremoniously tossed into the dumpster, along with the tabernacle, altar rails, the organ, the choir, 1900 years of Catholic dogma, Luther's table was installed and dyke nuns and hippies started banging Kumbaya on their crappy guitars. 

Now, after 40 years of wandering in the Novus Ordo desert, gazing at the devastation wrought by the Modernists - one of it's shining stars now occupying Peter's throne - people are worried that taking anything more than minor, microscopic, cosmetic  steps towards something resembling 'orthodoxy' could provoke the 'Second Western Schism'?!?!? Good grief, Heaven help us.

From where I've been sitting these last 50+ years, it already happened.    
I understood that there would be no mingling of the Tridentine with anyother rite.  Isn't that part of Quo Primum.
Daniel
Quo Primum is irrelevant.