Getting family to church...without acrimony
Every Sunday I have to act like a drill Sargent to get the kids and sometimes even the mrs. Up and ready for church. I hate it because I rarely get to church calm.... Any loving thoughts will be appreciated.

Ps it's been like this, for 15 years almost.
I don't really have much advice to give...just to say, my Mum always used to drag me out of bed to go to Mass when I was younger because I hated going but now it's my favourite thing to do and I'm usually the one dragging her to more Masses.

So, keep at it and live in hope. :)

Prayers for you!

JD

Since going to Sunday Mass is pretty much my favourite thing to do in the week, I can't say I suffer from this problem. My kid brother and sister don't feel the same way, though, so I'm keen to read any good responses.
When I was younger my parents had to drag us out of bed to get ready for Mass. I think that only stops (or never starts) if kids are really made to understand why they need to go, and just how important it is in their lives.
I feel for you.  I once made one of my sons go to church barefoot because he couldn't find his shoes when it was time to leave.  (I didn't want to be late, because I was the cantor.)

Fortunately, the ones who are still at home are altar boys, so they don't want to be late, either.  Maybe that's the answer.  If they have jobs to do at church, maybe they will take more responsibility for getting there on time.  Is your parish looking for altar boys or choir members?
Spasi...all four of my sons serve and have served altar...didnt seem to motivate them in the least.(They are very good on altar once they get there though)
What hurts is that I feel as a father like such a hypocrit, yelling and cajoling and then praying and listening to Love Incarnate through the Liturgy. (Also I am afraid of them all rebelling against Church because of me)I am a sinner, I have a hot temper, and I know I am unworthy of the name Christian, but I am Christian none the less. And I am about ready to throw up my hands and leave them all behind and let them go to Church if they want to.....and I know that is WRONG...but that is what is brewing in me. Pray4ME
Johndigger Wrote:I don't really have much advice to give...just to say, my Mum always used to drag me out of bed to go to Mass when I was younger because I hated going but now it's my favourite thing to do and I'm usually the one dragging her to more Masses.

So, keep at it and live in hope. :)

Prayers for you!

JD

Thank you JD this is very encouraging. GBU
Voxpop,

It seems that your situation is more serious than it seems.  I will pray for you and your children.

When I was a kid, I was the same way, though.  BUT, I was raised Southern Baptist and going to my church equated to a 3 hour screaming session where the preacher yelled at us all and called us hypocrites, and then made us feel guilty for not giving enough of our money to his church.  So, I feel that I was right for not wanting to go there...

...But, your kids are a part of the one true religion that saves, so the importance of getting them to Mass is extreme.  The only thing I can think of in your case is a lot of prayer (which I am sure you are already doing) and perhaps a long talk about the utter importance of Mass and the consequences of disloyalty to God.  You may even have to be a bit harsh in this talk, but whatever it takes to get the point across due to the utter importance of such an issue.

I will sincerely pray for you, and may God Bless you and your family.
[Image: bfskinneratharvardcircax.jpg]

I imagined how BF Skinner would get his family out of bed for church Sunday morning:  I linked the desired behavior (on time at Mass) with a reward (breakfast).  We take turns choosing where to go - nothing elaborate;  sometimes it's smoothies or bagels, other times it's hash browns at the cowboy diner.  It works pretty well.  When my daughter is older and can cook her own breakfast this might not work anymore, though.   And it's cheap because there's only two of us, I'm aware that this would be disastrously expensive for someone with more mouths to feed.