SaraLucille's Sugar Cookies
A while back, SaraLucille posted her grandmother's recipe for very special sugar cookies. I made them, then opined that although the icing was very good, the cookies themselves were just standard. I am now revising that opinion. I made the cookies for a meeting today, and the result was extraordinarily delicate -- feather-light, melt-in-your-mouth cookies that didn't even need icing. I wasn't the only one who noticed, either. SaraLucille, this is another reason you and your people are awesome. I'm such a clodhopper when it comes to cookies that probably the reason my first batch was only so-so is that I rolled them out too thick (as I tend to do) and took them out of the oven either burnt or half-raw (which I also tend to do, being an inexperienced cookie maker). This wonderful recipe is going permanently into my personal file; I need look no further for a good sugar cookie recipe.
Satori, dear, I would appreciate it if you, your husband and your daughter would move to Kansas City and make the WRC family dinner and cookies all the time.

Thank you in advance.
Satori Wrote:A while back, SaraLucille posted her grandmother's recipe for very special sugar cookies. I made them, then opined that although the icing was very good, the cookies themselves were just standard. I am now revising that opinion. I made the cookies for a meeting today, and the result was extraordinarily delicate -- feather-light, melt-in-your-mouth cookies that didn't even need icing. I wasn't the only one who noticed, either. SaraLucille, this is another reason you and your people are awesome. I'm such a clodhopper when it comes to cookies that probably the reason my first batch was only so-so is that I rolled them out too thick (as I tend to do) and took them out of the oven either burnt or half-raw (which I also tend to do, being an inexperienced cookie maker). This wonderful recipe is going permanently into my personal file; I need look no further for a good sugar cookie recipe.

I can't find it. It's not fair! It's like I'm condemned to live the lyrics of MacArthur Park without the icing and the rain or the bronze man or ....

Hey, what are you doing eating cookies? [Image: rules.gif]Don't you know it's Lent?
Here it is, DarkKnight: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/apologia/vpost?id=3152271&trail=14
Oh, and don't leave these cookies out in the rain, for I'll never find the recipe again, o no.

If it makes you feel better, I made the cookies for little kids, all under the age of 4, and they aren't required to fast or abstain. Well, yeah, I ate some, too, but as the mother of a clingy toddler who wants to nurse at the drop of a hat, I feel as though my life is pretty penitential already.

WRC, you're too kind but you probably make better cookies than I do. I'm only starting to make acceptable cookies because I think it's one of those things that mothers ought to be able to do and so I've been working hard at it.

Satori Wrote:WRC, you're too kind but you probably make better cookies than I do. I'm only starting to make acceptable cookies because I think it's one of those things that mothers ought to be able to do and so I've been working hard at it.

We'll be the judge of that! 

You now need to make several batches, send some to all FE members (lurkers are officially excluded- you want cookies, you need to join! ) and we'll let you know if you make better cookies than WRC. 

Of coarse, to be fair, WRC will have to do the same. 

Well, I'm waiting...  

Gettin' hungrier by the minute, and I don't smell any cookies, yet!
Texican Wrote:
Satori Wrote:WRC, you're too kind but you probably make better cookies than I do. I'm only starting to make acceptable cookies because I think it's one of those things that mothers ought to be able to do and so I've been working hard at it.

We'll be the judge of that! 

You now need to make several batches, send some to all FE members (lurkers are officially excluded- you want cookies, you need to join! ) and we'll let you know if you make better cookies than WRC. 

Well, I'm waiting...  

You're a military man, right? Give me your mailing address. I'd be happy to send you a care package of cookies, especially as you call yourself Texican (I'm from TX originally). After all, feeding the hungry (for cookies) is a corporal work of mercy, and I need to work off some Purgatory time.
Satori Wrote:You're a military man, right? Give me your mailing address. I'd be happy to send you a care package of cookies, especially as you call yourself Texican (I'm from TX originally). After all, feeding the hungry (for cookies) is a corporal work of mercy, and I need to work off some Purgatory time.

Thanks, Satori, but no, I'm not in the military anymore.  Been awhile since I was, but I appreciate it just the same.
Texican Wrote:
Satori Wrote:You're a military man, right? Give me your mailing address. I'd be happy to send you a care package of cookies, especially as you call yourself Texican (I'm from TX originally). After all, feeding the hungry (for cookies) is a corporal work of mercy, and I need to work off some Purgatory time.

Thanks, Satori, but no, I'm not in the military anymore.  Been awhile since I was, but I appreciate it just the same.

Your loss ... you'll just have to wait till I have a cookie stand outside Home Depot or something.
Texican Wrote:We'll be the judge of that! 

Well, I'm waiting...  

I'll take the Pepsi challenge.

But Mrs. WRC is really the baker in our household.  I'm more of a cook than a baker; my lovely wife is the opposite.  We're teaching each other, but it's a slow process.

BUT.  If you're going to be in beautiful Kansas City anytime soon, I'll make you cookies.  And if you wait a couple weeks, I'll fire up the smoker and teach you Texas boys what barbeque is really all about.

Aside: I was listening to a Spring Training game yesterday and noticed that my Royals have picked up a new sponsor: Gates Bar-B.-Q. (http://www.gatesbbq.com/)  Oh, its such cruel torture... I want to pick up a handful of beef and eat it like an apple.  I'm always so eager for Lent to start and so sick of it by week 5.  So it goes, so it goes...

BUT.  If you're going to be in beautiful Kansas City anytime soon, I'll make you cookies.  And if you wait a couple weeks, I'll fire up the smoker and teach you Texas boys what barbeque is really all about.

Oh, WRC, thank you.
It's so funny that people don't understand that the best barbeque is from GA.

Bout time someone gave Texas what for. Now, just a few more states to go, and my work here will be done.