Easter dinner ideas.....

well?

Alaric was talking about his Sicilian Mom on another thread, and besides smiling at the description of his mom ( she sounds like some of the ladies in my family [Image: smile.gif] ), just the word "Sicilian" makes me hungry.

What is everybody planning?
In my family we have Turkey dinner for all three of the BIG holidays: Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving.

But for Easter we've recently added ham as well. This comes with the usual: potatoes, corn, carrots, stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, sparkling wine etcc.

Before any of these three dinners we always have a fruit sald. This has one slice of pineapple on a dish, surrounded by slices of canned madarin oranges, peaches, pears, bananas with whipped cream on top.

Not terribly original, but it's familiar.

Not terribly original, but it's familiar.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, but that's what I meant!!

:)

Tradition - what's familiar, for you and your family.

We do the same in that we do a repeat of Christmas and Thanksgiving...

roast pork, black beans, salad, etc. In the last few years we've started making mamoul ( Lebanese Easter cookies) that are a lot of fun to make and really delicious ( for grownups, anyway).

For the little kids, we make the resurrection cookies on Saturday night, so they find them on Easter morning.

And we dye as many psychedelic Easter eggs as possible on Saturday.
"Resurrection cookies?"
didishroom Wrote:"Resurrection cookies?"

some of the other Moms on here are probably better at describing these, but they're little meringues with nuts in them.

They symbolize Christ's Passion -

You get eggs, sugar, nuts, and as many children as you can find -

you explain as you're making them.... you whip the egg whites ( Jesus scourged)

you break the nuts( Jesus beaten and broken)

you add some sugar ( Jesus' love for us for dying for us)

you add a tiny bit of vinegar ( what they forced on Him on the Cross)

whip this all together - put on a baking sheet in little mounds...

put in a very low oven .

This is the tomb. Shut the heat off, and put tape on the oven door - the tomb is sealed.

Next morning, EASTER!

Open the oven - the meringues are there..... but if you've ever made meringues, you know that they come out hollow.

So, the tomb is empty...Jesus rose from the dead!!

Then you eat em all up.

:)
Leg of lamb. Wild rice. Greens. Croissants. Fruit tart for dessert.

My mom always tries (and succeeds) to cook a ham and I balk. I hate ham. Unless it is in a croque-monsieur. I'm hoping for a ham-less Easter.
Wild game.
Paloma Wrote:Leg of lamb. Wild rice. Greens. Croissants. Fruit tart for dessert.

My mom always tries (and succeeds) to cook a ham and I balk. I hate ham. Unless it is in a croque-monsieur. I'm hoping for a ham-less Easter.

How do you make lamb?

I know lamb is supposed to be fantastic, but everytime I've tried it I get the impression that I'm eating a dead animal.

yes, yes, I know.

but seriously, how does she make it?
Weather permitting, we will probably just rub it with kosher salt, garlic, and pepper and cook it over the outdoor rotisserie with a branch of rosemary thrown into the fire (that rosemary scented smoke permeates meat really well.)

We make lamb quite often throughout the year and we usually just season it very simply and roast it in the oven until it is cooked medium.

Lamb does have a different taste but we actually like that taste. If you want lamb that tastes less lamby - try a rack of new zealand lamb. That "gamey" taste is almost non-existent.
This year, reservations.