Easter dinner ideas.....
frerejacques,

I like the way you think! :w2go:

But after working so many years waiting tables, I hate to make people work holidays. I usually bamboozled my way out of it but I wasn't lucky every time.
Vegetarian Mexican food. It's what I've done every year since I was in college and didn't have anything to celebrate Easter except enough money for taco shells, refried beans, and an avocado. Only this year I might make something pork to go with it. 
Paloma Wrote:frerejacques,

I like the way you think! :w2go:

But after working so many years waiting tables, I hate to make people work holidays. I usually bamboozled my way out of it but I wasn't lucky every time.

I used to be a night manager of one of those weird little neighborhood joints that was open from 8 to 11 every day except Christmas and Thanksgiving, so as someone who has been there I know what you mean.  Normally I'd cook, but I feel too sensitive and delicate this year. My friend who's a chef says the restaurants in our area are cutting hours and staff,  and so I have decided that it's my patriotic duty as an American to break my fast at a place where I won't be doing any dishes.  And as much as Satori's Mexican idea has me craving some fresh tortillas, I'll doubtlessly end up at the Sushi Thai where they won't be celebrating Easter.  Or maybe eating pagan food is even worse?!!? 

Now I'm confused.  I need to be told what to do.  Since this is Fisheaters, I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to do that.   Where'd all the sedes go, anyhow?
Quote:Where'd all the sedes go, anyhow?
Shhh! You'll wake them up, and then they'll all post here again.
My husband's part Russian, so I'm going to try the ukrainian easter bread this year. Not sure if anyone will go for the ukrainian sausage for dinner, I may need to just do the ham.

Tradition in my family was we'd have rabbit or lamb for Easter dinner... Please don't tell the kids!

Lamb is always a nice, traditional option. Once, I ate two whole lamb shanks in one sitting (another member of the family was a bit squeamish about lamb, and I know well that things are better appreciated before they turn to leftovers).
Yeah, lamb; it's got to be lamb for dinner. Ham and eggs--and Easter basket candy for breakfast.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Dear Paloma, can you please spell out in detail how to make potato tacos? I made them a while back but was not floored. Clearly the problem was with my technique. How do you get the tortillas crispy? I hope I don't have to use a LOT of oil because I am averse to deep frying and can hardly bear the smell of vegetable oil anyway. What's the best way to prepare the potatoes before using them in the tacos? I ask because I want to serve these for Easter dinner with my more usual offerings -- I know they must be fantastic when done PROPERLY. Also I wonder -- you are my official Latina, after all -- if you have a special recipe for guacamole. I absolutely love the stuff -- LOVE IT. Usually I make it just by mashing up the avocado with lime juice, minced garlic, chopped green onion, and diced fresh tomato if I have any. And a pinch of salt. I worked at a restaurant where we made it with lots of mayonnaise and jalopeno peppers and it was delish, but I think I prefer the fresher taste of the mayo-free variety.

Have any of you women ever made a cake in a lamb-shaped mold? I'm going to try to do this again this year, but last time I did it, I couldn't get the cake out without a lot of damage. Is there a technique to this? I did grease the pan up quite a bit, but that didn't help enough in the end.
I am not cooking this year however, I believe they will be serving pork roast with gravy where I am going.
Honey baked ham is the only have I will eat anymore.
The turkey dinner always sounds good. 
For Easter dinner less is best in my book.  I am the one who always has to clean up. 
Daniel

Satori,

Potato tacos...

....hmmm. Okay. Potato tacos usually happen because I made waaaaay too much mashed potatoes the night before. When I make mashed potatoes, I often leave chunks in it because I'm lazy and I never peel them, also because I'm lazy but I say it is for the fiber and vitamin C.

So the next day, I'm left with a tupperware container filled with chunky, sad, cold mashed potatoes. To this I'll add a LOT of grated cheese. I like colby jack. At some point, when I think I've added enough, I'll test a dollop in the microwave. The whole thing should melt. To this I'll add a whole lot of ground cumin. I like cumin so I tend to put like 2-3 heaping spoonfulls. I also test it for saltiness and add more if it needs it, as well as ground garlic and pepper. It also usually needs something else like chunky salsa or canned green chilis. Walberg added sauteed peppers and onions which sounds good. I usually trust my taste buds and I sometimes leave it as is.

So on to filling...I have to cook the corn tortillas before I fold them. Sometimes I can get away with warming them in the microwave but lately I've been having to cook them over a comal or on the stove. I don't know if it is the weather. Don't overcook them, they just have to be able to easily fold without breaking. My new favorite way to do them is to fill them on one side, fold them over and use three toothpicks to pin them closed (You'll still get leakage.) I then fry them in some oil in a pan large enough to fit 2 or 3. I don't use a ton of oil. Just enough so that they crisp up (a visual would be, enough oil to completely submerge one side but not so much that they are swimming.) I cook them for a couple minutes on each side. They come out the same as if I deep fried them but this way uses less oil. Yes, it is still oil and yes it is still fried but it is the only way to get maximum crispness. The last time I made them, the tortillas came out super crispy but when you broke it open, it was soft and gooey on the inside. They aren't exactly dietetic but eh, every once in a while doesn't hurt.

Remove the toothpicks before serving (duh, but it is a pain in the butt.) I'll usually top them with shredded lettuce, salsa (OR, I make a sauce out of a little can of tomato JUICE, a ton of minced white onion and a ton of dried oregano - mix it together and let it marry in the fridge for at least an hour. It will then be suitable for drizzling over anything Mexican and fried,) and sour cream. Guacamole if I have it.

The OTHER way, which I haven't made in a while (because it has to be deliberate,) is to dice potatoes small, and cook them in a little oil with diced onions, peppers, tomatoes, cumin, salt, garlic, and pepper until everything is nice and caramelized and cooked through. Sometimes I'll cheat and just add a cup of salsa to the potatoes and cook them that way. I'll then put them in soft corn tortillas or crispy shells. It's like regular tacos without the meat.

As for guacamole - Your recipe is good. You are just missing an entire bunch of cilantro. If you don't like cilantro, I don't know what to tell you. ;) There is a percentage of the population (almost 20%) that lacks an enzyme for eating cilantro. They invariably say it tastes like soap. I thought this was weird until I tried a sprig of very immature cilantro from my garden and it tasted like I filled my mouth with Irish Spring. Anyway...

Fork mash the avocados, (I try not to over pulverize them at this point because by the time I mix everything in - it is going to be borderline over mixed anyway)

Add lime or lemon juice, (enough to flavor, thin, and preserve it but not so much that it makes it watery.)

Lots of thinly sliced green onions (never use regular onions.) I usually use 3-4 stalks.

Garlic and salt - You can use fresh minced garlic and salt but us Mexicans cheat and use prepared garlic salt. (I find if I use fresh I have to let it sit for a while and that just isn't going to happen ;) )

An entire bunch of cilantro, de-stemmed and coarsely chopped (this is arguably the most important part)

A whole tomato or two, diced. This stretches the guacamole and gives it a fresh texture.

We usually don't bother adding heat to it because we make pretty spicy salsas and we prefer our guacamole to be an oasis amongst the tierra del fuego