Easter dinner ideas.....
It's funny, I gave up meat for lent and now I don't crave it much.  I gave up bread and Coke and I am comfortable without out that as well.
I just don't want to get fat after lent.  I lost about 15 pounds.
Daniel

Depends on the situation that I'll find myself in. More than likely, it'll be lamb, roasted over a fire, with some rice, asparragus, and I've been thinking, some sweet potatoes, too.

Maybe it's time to bring out me cheesecake pans, too.

I can't believe that it took me this long to post on thread about food... Maybe I'm coming down with something?
Paloma Wrote:As for guacamole - Your recipe is good. You are just missing an entire bunch of cilantro. If you don't like cilantro, I don't know what to tell you. ;) There is a percentage of the population (almost 20%) that lacks an enzyme for eating cilantro. They invariably say it tastes like soap. I thought this was weird until I tried a sprig of very immature cilantro from my garden and it tasted like I filled my mouth with Irish Spring. Anyway...

Fork mash the avocados, (I try not to over pulverize them at this point because by the time I mix everything in - it is going to be borderline over mixed anyway)

Add lime or lemon juice, (enough to flavor, thin, and preserve it but not so much that it makes it watery.)

Lots of thinly sliced green onions (never use regular onions.) I usually use 3-4 stalks.

Garlic and salt - You can use fresh minced garlic and salt but us Mexicans cheat and use prepared garlic salt. (I find if I use fresh I have to let it sit for a while and that just isn't going to happen ;) )

An entire bunch of cilantro, de-stemmed and coarsely chopped (this is arguably the most important part)

A whole tomato or two, diced. This stretches the guacamole and gives it a fresh texture.

We usually don't bother adding heat to it because we make pretty spicy salsas and we prefer our guacamole to be an oasis amongst the tierra del fuego

This portion of Paloma's post is subliminally making me go to Cilantro for a burrito tonight.  No, I realize it's not real Mexican food, but it is very conveniently located.  No, it's not feasting during the fast because I'll only eat half - junior will eat the other half.  And because it's Holy Week we won't get chips.  And there will be no levity during the meal, none, and we might even walk there and back to make it seem less like a gorge-fest.
Doh! I forgot about the cilantro. I want that stuff growing on my grave, it is so good. Makes everything taste fresh and spring-like, you know? How unfortunate that there are people to whom it tastes like soap.

*goes to scribble on grocery list*

Yes, of course I put cilantro in my guacamole, and chili pepper or a dash of hot sauce, too.

Do I have to use vegetable oil to fry the tacos? Can I use melted lard or something like that? Hot vegetable oil seriously gives me a headache.

This year I'm really going to be adventuresome and try to make candies for Easter baskets.
Paloma Wrote:Weather permitting, we will probably just rub it with kosher salt, garlic, and pepper and cook it over the outdoor rotisserie with a branch of rosemary thrown into the fire (that rosemary scented smoke permeates meat really well.)

We make lamb quite often throughout the year and we usually just season it very simply and roast it in the oven until it is cooked medium.

Lamb does have a different taste but we actually like that taste. If you want lamb that tastes less lamby - try a rack of new zealand lamb. That "gamey" taste is almost non-existent.

you don't marinate it beforehand?

I don't mind gaminess - I love venison, and sometimes cabrito if it's been soaked in milk.

I don't know what it is about lamb....my kids even like it.
Satori,

I don't see why you can't use lard. My mexican grandmother fried everything in lard until a few years ago (I'm still nostalgic for that red box of manteca.) Any fat with a high smoke-point should do.

This portion of Paloma's post is subliminally making me go to Cilantro for a burrito tonight.  No, I realize it's not real Mexican food, but it is very conveniently located.  No, it's not feasting during the fast because I'll only eat half - junior will eat the other half.  And because it's Holy Week we won't get chips.  And there will be no levity during the meal, none, and we might even walk there and back to make it seem less like a gorge-fest.
[/QUOTE]

and maybe you can put rocks in your shoes on the way there, and glass on the way back...

[Image: wink.gif]
Satori Wrote:Doh! I forgot about the cilantro. I want that stuff growing on my grave, it is so good. Makes everything taste fresh and spring-like, you know? How unfortunate that there are people to whom it tastes like soap.

*goes to scribble on grocery list*

Cilantro, culantro -

GROSS.

SOAP.

blech.

It's like lamb - I really, really want to eat it - but it just tastes bad - and believe me, I'll eat anything.

You remember those nestea commercials when we were little of the people falling backwards into the swimming pool??

That looked SO good, and SO refreshing - and every year I tried to drink tea - and I just couldn't.

Took pregnancy #3 to fall in love with tea.

:)
Libby,

Leg of lamb is actually one cut I don't have to marinate. It doesn't need tenderizing or flavoring other than what I season it with.

Other cuts of lamb, like shoulder chops, I'll marinate in olive oil, white wine, minced garlic, and chopped rosemary for about a day.

If you want to try lamb, but bypass the lamb flavor, try new zealand lamb. I wouldn't know it was lamb if somebody didn't tell me. Very, very light flavor.

I'm sorry you can't eat cilantro. You have my condolences. ;)
Satori Wrote:Dear Paloma, can you please spell out in detail how to make potato tacos? I made them a while back but was not floored. Clearly the problem was with my technique. How do you get the tortillas crispy? I hope I don't have to use a LOT of oil because I am averse to deep frying and can hardly bear the smell of vegetable oil anyway.

The first time I made the potato tacos, they came out awesome.  The second time was an unmitigated disaster.  The big difference was the type of corn tortillas that I used-- my advice is to use the thinnest, most delicate tortillas that you can find.  The thicker ones will make you give up.

I don't usually end up with too many mashed potatoes, but I often end up with a few extra baked potatoes in the fridge.  Next time I make tater-tacos, I'm going to finely dice a baked potato and saute it with peppers and onions (I cook everything with peppers and onions) like I was going to make hashed browns.  That will be my taco filling.  It sounds awesome.  I'm so excited about it.

HOWEVER.  I will not make tacos again until I can fill them with delicious, delicious beef.  Oh!  How I have missed beef.  You know that part in Mt 6 about not complaining when we do penance?  I suck at that.

Our Easter dinner will have ham.  I loves me some ham.