Easter dinner ideas.....
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:The first time I made the potato tacos, they came out awesome.  The second time was an unmitigated disaster.  The big difference was the type of corn tortillas that I used-- my advice is to use the thinnest, most delicate tortillas that you can find.  The thicker ones will make you give up.

You can warm them on a griddle, so that they don't break when you try to fold them.  If you're lucky, you can get them fresh, from the tortilla factory.  Those are the best kind.

Quote:
HOWEVER.  I will not make tacos again until I can fill them with delicious, delicious beef.  Oh!  How I have missed beef.  You know that part in Mt 6 about not complaining when we do penance?  I suck at that.

Our Easter dinner will have ham.  I loves me some ham.

Beef is GOOD!  Pig is GOOD! 
Texican Wrote:
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:The first time I made the potato tacos, they came out awesome.  The second time was an unmitigated disaster.  The big difference was the type of corn tortillas that I used-- my advice is to use the thinnest, most delicate tortillas that you can find.  The thicker ones will make you give up.

You can warm them on a griddle, so that they don't break when you try to fold them.

Tried it.  Tried microwaving.  Tried wetting them gently before heating.  I may just have a bad batch of torts-- but they're seriously just too thick.  I decided to buy the cheapest torts at the store rather than the best.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Tried it.  Tried microwaving.  Tried wetting them gently before heating.  I may just have a bad batch of torts-- but they're seriously just too thick.  I decided to buy the cheapest torts at the store rather than the best.

It sounds like you do have a bad batch.  I've only ever had that problem if they were a little too old.  I've used home-made tortillas, and they're not exactly paper-thin, and I've not seen that problem, unless they were cold, or not exactly fresh.

You could also try putting them in the hot oil for just a second, or two, kinda like when making entomatadas (now, I'm getting hungry), and fold them while in the pan, then take them out while folded, and let them drain until you fill them.  Then, you put them back in the oil, and fry them as you would normally.

Oh, I've found that microwaving can be counterproductive.

And Satori, lard works great, when making tacos.  Gives them better flavor, too.

Mmmm... entomatadas.... [Image: gimmefood.gif]
Paloma Wrote:Libby,

Leg of lamb is actually one cut I don't have to marinate. It doesn't need tenderizing or flavoring other than what I season it with.

Other cuts of lamb, like shoulder chops, I'll marinate in olive oil, white wine, minced garlic, and chopped rosemary for about a day.

If you want to try lamb, but bypass the lamb flavor, try new zealand lamb. I wouldn't know it was lamb if somebody didn't tell me. Very, very light flavor.

I'm sorry you can't eat cilantro. You have my condolences. ;)

No marinating?

Boy, it sounds good - and it looks like a lot of people have that.

We just usually have pork and arguments.

OK.

Oh, I'm sorry about the cilantro too.... it's on everything that looks fantastic, dadblastit...

;)
Texican Wrote:
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Tried it.  Tried microwaving.  Tried wetting them gently before heating.  I may just have a bad batch of torts-- but they're seriously just too thick.  I decided to buy the cheapest torts at the store rather than the best.

It sounds like you do have a bad batch.  I've only ever had that problem if they were a little too old.  I've used home-made tortillas, and they're not exactly paper-thin, and I've not seen that problem, unless they were cold, or not exactly fresh.

You could also try putting them in the hot oil for just a second, or two, kinda like when making entomatadas (now, I'm getting hungry), and fold them while in the pan, then take them out while folded, and let them drain until you fill them.  Then, you put them back in the oil, and fry them as you would normally.

Oh, I've found that microwaving can be counterproductive.

And Satori, lard works great, when making tacos.  Gives them better flavor, too.

Mmmm... entomatadas.... [Image: gimmefood.gif]

What's an entomada?

I know NOTHING about Mexican food.

You know that really mild stuff they put on tables in Mexican restaurants?

Makes me cry.

I KNOW I KNOW I'm wimpasoidal.
libby Wrote:What's an entomada?

I know NOTHING about Mexican food.

It's rather simple, really.  In a nutshell, you take a tortilla, and you put it in  pan with hot oil for a few seconds, just to warm and soften it.  Then, you dip that tortilla into another pan that contains a spiced (not hot) tomato sauce.  Pull it out from that, and fill it with crumbled queso freco, then roll it up and serve it with some more queso fresco sprinkled over the top, along with some finely dice onion, if desired. 
Delicious, and great for Lent.

Quote:You know that really mild stuff they put on tables in Mexican restaurants?

Makes me cry.

I KNOW I KNOW I'm wimpasoidal.
Pobrecita... [Image: awww.gif] 

Don't worry, entomatadas are like a mild(er) version of the enchilada.  Some people like to add meat to them, but I prefer to make them with cheese only.
Libby,
if you don't like the lamb because of the strong flavor, make sure that you remove as much excess fat from the meat.  Also, like Paloma suggested, you can try lamb from New Zealand, since they, along with most of the rest of the world, prefer younger animals, unlike in the USA, were we slaughter older animals, which have a stronger flavor.

Roy
Texican Wrote:Libby,
if you don't like the lamb because of the strong flavor, make sure that you remove as much excess fat from the meat.  Also, like Paloma suggested, you can try lamb from New Zealand, since they, along with most of the rest of the world, prefer younger animals, unlike in the USA, were we slaughter older animals, which have a stronger flavor.

Roy

I will!

But until I can afford it, I was thinking of making a mashed potato sculpture of a lamb.... cute, cheap, and kinda gross.

I think lamb has GOT to be good, though, if it doesn't even have to be marinated.

If you like garlic, you can take some garlic cloves and slice them in half, lengthwise, then take a sharp, pointed knife and pierce the meat, then place a piece of garlic in there.  Repeat as desired.

Afterwards, season with sea salt and black pepper. 

Oh, Libby... I'm also trying my hand at your lentil recipe...  wish me luck!

That, and some 'asparagos a la plancha',  and calçots, just for good measure.