Easter dinner ideas.....

Good, Roy!

They're good all year round.... Jesus food, as my boy says.

:)

what is a calcot?
libby Wrote:what is a calcot?

It's just a green onion, grilled over a hot fire, then served with a sauce on the side, like Romesco, for dipping. Actually, in Catalonia, it's a slightly larger kind of green onion, but I'm not going to try to import some, when what I've got on hand works fine. ;-)

Roy
The Dreaded Lamb Cake: A Tale of French Cookery Gone Wrong

Again I tried my hand at making a pound cake in my lamb-shaped cake mold, and again it has proved disastrous. I tried a recipe called "quatre quart," the idea being that you use equal parts butter, eggs, sugar and flour. I had 2 cups of eggs leftover from my egg-blowing experiment, so I proceeded to mix them with 2 cups of flour, 2 of sugar, and 2 of butter. Oh, horrors! What an eggy travesty! I can only gather that the eggs in the shell were to equal the weight of the other ingredients. (On this point the recipe was not clear, and my way made sense to me.) Oh, this year the "cake" came out of the lamb in one piece (more or less) and still has a face (of sorts), but it's like some weird dessert souffle. It's ... chewy. It ... wiggled ... coming out of the pan. My kitchen smells strongly of eggs. It's ... funky. Oh, what am I to do? All those wasted eggs and butter. I am sore grievous.
Satori Wrote:The Dreaded Lamb Cake: A Tale of French Cookery Gone Wrong

Again I tried my hand at making a pound cake in my lamb-shaped cake mold, and again it has proved disastrous. I tried a recipe called "quatre quart," the idea being that you use equal parts butter, eggs, sugar and flour. I had 2 cups of eggs leftover from my egg-blowing experiment, so I proceeded to mix them with 2 cups of flour, 2 of sugar, and 2 of butter. Oh, horrors! What an eggy travesty! I can only gather that the eggs in the shell were to equal the weight of the other ingredients. (On this point the recipe was not clear, and my way made sense to me.) Oh, this year the "cake" came out of the lamb in one piece (more or less) and still has a face (of sorts), but it's like some weird dessert souffle. It's ... chewy. It ... wiggled ... coming out of the pan. My kitchen smells strongly of eggs. It's ... funky. Oh, what am I to do? All those wasted eggs and butter. I am sore grievous.

let it cool off first - maybe it won't be so nervous then and it'll calm down and stop wiggling.

frosting is like the confession of the cake world.... very forgiving and you feel better about all the disasters that you ( me) come up with.

ooo....that egg smell.

stand at the sink and smoke a cigar and cuss - that'll get rid of it.
The restaurant is off.  Now I have to cook salmon!

*shuffles off dejectedly to sulk with the cats*

frerejacques Wrote:The restaurant is off.  Now I have to cook salmon!

Yeah, the cats are going to be real disappointed that you're cooking salmon. [Image: tongue.gif]

no, no!

don't be dejected!

now's your chance to make that weird mashed -potato lamb sculpture I'm envisioning....

I know it'll be a hit.
Marc Wrote:

Yeah, the cats are going to be real disappointed that you're cooking salmon. [Image: tongue.gif]

Oh yeah, they'll be having a happy fishEaster  [Image: laff.gif]
frerejacques Wrote:
Marc Wrote:

Oh yeah, they'll be having a happy fishEaster  [Image: laff.gif]

[Image: fish.gif]

took me a second.

;)
Tale of a Lamb Cake, Part II

Actually, it turned out okay.

It didn't taste like pound cake, and it utterly lacked that velvety pound cake texture. However, it was like a giant muffin with a slightly crispy brown coating. My guests liked it and didn't notice that anything was wrong, perhaps because I didn't tell them that it was meant to be pound cake. But I will do things differently next time, you'd better believe! And a kitchen scale is to be my next purchase.

Paloma, are you reading this? My main course was fantabulous. I melted quite a bit of vegetable shortening in my pan for frying the tacos. (No lard. I forgot that one of my guests is a vegetarian.) I had never made my own taco shells before, and I will never buy them again. Mine came out a golden brown, crispy Heaven, and the mashed potato filling was simple yet delicious. Silence during lunch; guests munched intently. "This is soooo good," someone said occasionally. "I got the recipe from a real Latina," I said proudly.