for those who excersize what is your workout routine?
I don't disagree with you regarding the one-axis machines; but clean and press would probably rate a 7/10 as far as difficulty goes when you could start with a progression such as

Stability (planks and bosu ball work)>>
Body Weight, elastic bands, and cable machines>>
Dumbell and Barbell work (Could include Clean and Press broken down into constituent movements)>>
Compound Power Movements
This will be of no use to you gentlemen whatsoever, but I go to Curves.  I dislike conventional gyms and free weights because a) it takes so long, b) I'm not going to pay for a trainer, and c) I think it's boring.  I always find it amusing to listen to men talk about working out.  My dad does CrossFit, and he talks with his buddies the exact same way you are here.  I wonder if women talking about babies and the like sound to men the way men talking about exercise sound to women.

More on topic, my dad went from being very out of shape to being able to lift 135 lbs. in about two years.  He got rid of the little belly he had going on and feels a lot better.  Good luck getting in shape!

(04-21-2009, 09:10 PM)Tiny Wrote: I don't disagree with you regarding the one-axis machines; but clean and press would probably rate a 7/10 as far as difficulty goes when you could start with a progression such as

Stability (planks and bosu ball work)>>
Body Weight, elastic bands, and cable machines>>
Dumbell and Barbell work (Could include Clean and Press broken down into constituent movements)>>
Compound Power Movements

Clean and press with a 15 lb dumbbell is well within the abilities of most adult males. An olympic clean and press with maximum weight would be very hard, but the movement is very easy.
A person starting with 15 lbs and graduating to 115 doing the movement over a continuous period is likely too familiar with the exercise.
(04-23-2009, 12:12 AM)Tiny Wrote: A person starting with 15 lbs and graduating to 115 doing the movement over a continuous period is likely too familiar with the exercise.

I'm not sure I follow. I was referring to one armed lifts with the 15 lbs quote. Also, there is no such thing as "too familiar". Strength is a skill as any other.

Building muscle is far easier than all this: Steroids.

Prices are down, some as affordable as posh gym memberships.

Low effort, guaranteed results-- FAST!

Come to Iuvi's Personal Training today for your 2 minute session, bring cotton swabs, rubbing alcohol, and your bum.
First in line.
I run when it isn't chilly, too warm or raining, when it's not dark outside, when I haven't given up my ipod for Advent or Lent, and when I'm trying to catch the bus.
(04-23-2009, 12:18 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(04-23-2009, 12:12 AM)Tiny Wrote: A person starting with 15 lbs and graduating to 115 doing the movement over a continuous period is likely too familiar with the exercise.

I'm not sure I follow. I was referring to one armed lifts with the 15 lbs quote. Also, there is no such thing as "too familiar". Strength is a skill as any other.

On the contrary, do the same routine for six months straight and there will be no gains; periodize or work on some sort of progression, and you'll max your gain.
(04-23-2009, 10:31 AM)Tiny Wrote: On the contrary, do the same routine for six months straight and there will be no gains; periodize or work on some sort of progression, and you'll max your gain.

There are more variables than the lift performed.