Napoleon, my new hero
I think he is a pretty cool guy, I would definitely be a Bonapartist in the 1800s. Down with England, long live the Emperor!

[Image: Napoleon_Great.jpg]

I shall never call "a pretty cool guy" the man who crystallised the principles of the Revolution, then went about warring all around Europe for no good reason. Pretty cool soldier? Yes. Pretty cool guy? No way. As regards French rulers of the 19th century, give me Charles X over Napoleon any day.
Are you being sarcastic?  This is the hero of the facistoïd French revolution, his troops pillaged and ransacked churches everywhere, desecrated the remains of the saints and martyrs and Napoleon invaded Rome, ended the papal states and put the pope in exile.
veritatem_dilexisti Wrote:I shall never call "a pretty cool guy" the man who crystallised the principles of the Revolution, then went about warring all around Europe for no good reason. Pretty cool soldier? Yes. Pretty cool guy? No way. As regards French rulers of the 19th century, give me Charles X over Napoleon any day.

lets take a look at the times, Robespierre and bunch of self-indulgent "enlightened "monarchs in Austria (Leopold II and Franz II), despots in Russia and George III in England, I choose Napoleon myself.

Archangelum Wrote:Are you being sarcastic? This is the hero of the facistoïd French revolution, his troops pillaged and ransacked churches everywhere, desecrated the remains of the saints and martyrs and Napoleon invaded Rome, ended the papal states and put the pope in exile.
Napoleon defeated the jacobin revolutionaries and brought order to chaos

[Image: 198289556qvxOyw_ph.jpg]
Stefan,

Please look at how Napoleon treated the Pope.  Think of the colossal folly of his invasion of Russia.  You ask us to look at the self-indulgent enlightened monarchs -- Napoleon outranks all of them as a self-indulgent "enlightened" despot -- more self-indulgent, more "enlightened" (he isn't called the "crowned Jacobin" for nothing), and despotic than any of them, installing his relatives as new monarchs all over Europe.  George III in England couldn't possible hold a candle to Napoleon in terms of being drunk on power.  The Brits helped the Spaniards reclaim their independence, by the way.
Edit:  how can you be opposed to the European Union and in favor of Napoleon?

Bonifacius Wrote:Edit: how can you be opposed to the European Union and in favor of Napoleon?

come on now friend, look at this pictures and tell me napoleon is not really cool

[Image: Napoleon-rivoli.jpg]

[Image: NapoleonBike.jpg]
Nero was a "cool guy" as well, but he was also an Antichrist. Killing off every single major intellectual of your era is worth something, no?
Stefan Wrote:[Image: NapoleonBike.jpg]

Stefan, I'm no Napolean fan, but this picture makes me want to be. Would you mind if I used this for my avatar? This is possibly the most awesome picture I have ever seen.
Ozzy Osbourne is cool, but I wouldn't make him my hero.  Heroes should be men of virtue like the Saints.  Napolean was most definitely not a man of virtue.  He had some honor, give-or-take, but he was not virtuous.

St. Joseph - now, there's a hero.