Napoleon, my new hero
Master_P Wrote:Stefan, I'm no Napolean fan, but this picture makes me want to be. Would you mind if I used this for my avatar? This is possibly the most awesome picture I have ever seen.

It would be more awesome if it were a Harley. ;)
Quote:
come on now friend, look at this pictures and tell me napoleon is not really cool

The Satanic archetype. The heroic failure.
Master_P Wrote:Stefan, I'm no Napolean fan, but this picture makes me want to be. Would you mind if I used this for my avatar? This is possibly the most awesome picture I have ever seen.

feel free, i just found it on some website, but its not like they are going to track you down or anything :)

QuisUtDeus Wrote:Ozzy Osbourne is cool, but I wouldn't make him my hero. Heroes should be men of virtue like the Saints. Napolean was most definitely not a man of virtue. He had some honor, give-or-take, but he was not virtuous.

St. Joseph - now, there's a hero.
agreed, "my new hero" was a bad choice of words, I do and always will admire what he did though, especially for France and Poland. He did have some dishonorable like not liberate my Hungary from the Austrian yoke (where is your empire now Austria? bwahahahaha) and sack and rape northern Italy, but all that aside he still is a pretty cool guy.
I thought you meant this guy at first...

[Image: gallery_Napoleon_Dynamite_1.jpg]
(04-15-2009, 06:18 PM)Tulkas Wrote: I thought you meant this guy at first...

[Image: gallery_Napoleon_Dynamite_1.jpg]

Dynamite is a more worthy hero tha Bonaparte.

Just sayin'.
(04-12-2009, 10:55 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
Master_P Wrote:Stefan, I'm no Napolean fan, but this picture makes me want to be. Would you mind if I used this for my avatar? This is possibly the most awesome picture I have ever seen.

It would be more awesome if it were a Harley. ;)

You go to war with the motorcycle you have, not the motorcycle that you want! Or something like that.
The man was a scoundrel.
Napoleon used the Church to suit his ends and when it didn't he would ignore it or imprison the Holy Father. In that way he is the patron saint of Nancy Pelosi and other pro abortion "Catholic" politicians.
He was a character, that's for sure. But he had no respect for God, the Church or human life. He set himself up as a God, raped the Church, and thought of wonderfully inventive ways of ripping through enemy lives. A bit like Hitler, but more intelligent and romantic. But unlike Hitler, Stalin etc, his death story isn't too bad, and who knows what can happen at the hour of death.
For some reason, both my previous post and the post I quoted from the old forum are not here, but this re-posting should contribute to the discussion some:

WanderingPenitent Wrote:He did not wish to rule under God but snatched the crown from the Pope's hands to say he no longer needed God's approval, just his own.

Just FYI, this is an anti-Bonapartist myth. In reality, every detail of the 1804 coronation was meticulously planned, including that Napoleon would pick up the crown himself from the high altar, where it rested. Napoleon absolutely did not take it from Pius VII's hands.

Another common mistake is the idea that the crown is the most important part of the ceremony, as in the English/British understanding. In the French tradition, it is not. The French call the royal/imperial coronations the "sacre", i.e. the holy anointing. Just as the kings of Israel were anointed to their office with oil, so were the kings of France. Napoleon was anointed using the exact same ritual used for the kings of France, but by the Pope rather than the Archbishop of Reims.