Community Supported Agriculture
Is anyone a member of a CSA or a food circle?  I'm interested, but would like to know more. 

Where do you live, how much does your share cost, what types of food you receive (somewhat depends on your region), have you been satifsied with the quality of what you receive, do they deliver or do you pick it up from the farm/self pick/distribution center, how many seasons have you been a member, etc.

I don't even know what I don't know, so what do I need to know about joining a CSA?
WRC:

LocalHarvest.org

Look around the site and you'll find anything you have questions about, or keep asking here.

The problem with shares is that they get filled really quickly and are highly coveted.

There are different ways of doing them - if you luck into a really good one, it's like your birthday when your box of goodies arrive ( or you pick up).

If you are not so lucky, prepare to eat squash 3 weeks in a row.

also:

some of the good coops around here will sub fresh flowers or organic honey for the fruits and vegs. when there isn't enough selection.

and, raw milk is illegal in GA - so people sell "shares" in a cow - 5 people will own her, and that way the farmr lets you come and pick up your milk, that you can legally drink, because it's YOUR cow.

honey, soaps, all sorts of foods - my little brother got an entire cow.... grass fed, organic beef .... for less than $2.oo  a pound, butchered and wrapped.

So, some of these things are way too expensive, but others are much healthier, as well as cheaper than the grocery stuff!

Also, this is one of my favorite periodicals:

http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086...28,00.html

it comes biweekly, and it's wonderful!

I've purchased blueberry plants for a 1$ each...there is a man I found in there that hasa pick your own blueberry farm on the honor system, right next to a beautiful river - for THREE DOLLARS a gallon...organic.

I'm sure that your state should have something similiar - just look for Market Bulletin.
[i]

http://foodcircles.missouri.edu/

try this, too -

hey wait a minute - you're not in MO...... but you can look there anyway.[/i]

;D
My husband and I just joined a CSA a few months ago and have loved our experience. What you will get changes weekly, depending on where you live and the season. Last week we got apples, blood oranges, swiss chard, strawberries, new potatoes, purple and yellow onions, lettuce, cilantro, and carrots. This week we are supposed to get oranges, blush apples, zucchini, lemons, leeks, strawberries, swiss chard, carrots, radishes and lettuce. We pay about $30 a week for our box, which is delivered to our house every Friday, and it is enough for four adults (we split with our in-laws). We rarely have to buy outside produce, and when we do it's things like garlic, which are staples. It's fun because we get things we would not normally eat like green garlic, radicchio, and pea shoots, which gives us a better variety of nutrients, and a chance to experiment in the kitchen. Our farm provides recipes in our box so that we know how to cook everything that arrives.

We live in the Bay Area, so our growing season is year round. We have been very satisfied with the quality of our produce, and we can suspend our membership or choose another "plan" anytime we like, so it's very flexible. Our farm also holds open houses where you take tours, enjoy free organic snacks, and pick goodies to take home. You pack a picnic and they have a bluegrass band play while you eat. Our farm is all organic, and although we were terribly skeptical at first, I have never tasted better produce. Their website is www.farmfreshtoyou.com
A conspiracy to make communism platable among the American people. It must be stopped. :laughing:
There's nothing better than growing your own stuff. Although it's my grandfather who does most of the growing and it's usually turnips.
(04-22-2009, 10:19 PM)Hotspurcantresistposting Wrote: A conspiracy to make communism platable among the American people. It must be stopped. :laughing:

I guess from your emoticon that you're joking.  So please read this kindly: these kinds of jokes are part of the problem.  Communists aren't the only ones that deserve good vegetables grown well.
(04-23-2009, 09:00 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(04-22-2009, 10:19 PM)Hotspurcantresistposting Wrote: A conspiracy to make communism platable among the American people. It must be stopped. :laughing:

I guess from your emoticon that you're joking.  So please read this kindly: these kinds of jokes are part of the problem.  Communists aren't the only ones that deserve good vegetables grown well.
I'd have been better off with saying 'a hardcore capitalist would say...', as that would have telegraphed my point better, as what I had said has been interpreted as mockery. Time to obliterate one-liners from my life, completely.