Best Pizza
Now I've decided to make pizza for supper tonight. Any particularly good crust recipes? (No bread machine recipes, please, as I don't have one.)

Yes, Magnificat, I make my own sauce, although I'm not as "scratchy" as I'd like to be since I use canned tomatoes and paste. I plan to change that, though, this summer when the tomatoes in the garden come into their glory. (I will not buy non-canned tomatoes at this time of year unless I have to. I don't believe in them ...)
Yeaaaaaaaaah, we're having pizza tonight, too, and I'm probably saucing it with a combination of organic tomato paste and some canned basil and oregano tomato chunks which were on BOGO this week. 

As for a crust, I think I've posted this link here before so I a-pologize if I'm being redundant.  It really is foolproof:

http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/2002...068_1.html

Sometimes I rush the yeast with a pinch of sugar and it doesn't seem to change the taste or texture of the final product.
(04-18-2009, 02:25 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: hopefully she made it to Solano and had Zachary's

I live half a mile from Zachary's. It's good but I don't really like it. Sometimes on Fridays I stop and get a slice, but why do they put the veggies under the cheese?
Now I want pizza.

Little Caesars is pizza I feed to kids because they don't care.  I'm not above eating it.  It just isn't my fave.  It is also cheap ($5) and ready immediately for carryout.

I didn't know Red Brick was related to Little Caesars.  I like Red Brick.  Their crust is really really good.  It almost tastes like really good sourdough.  I always get the vegetarian pizza and gelato but we don't go there too often because they are kinda pricey.  

I forgot about Hungry Howie's.  We have those around here.  I think they are pretty good and I like the flavored crusts.

We have a local place here called Tino's.  It had closed for a while because the original owner died but it reopened a few years ago with a new owner but he bought the original recipe.  Tino was a mexican guy so there is a mexi-spin on the taste.  It is wood-fired and thin crust but the sauce is really really good.  I can't put my finger on it.  It is thin (no tomato paste) and spicy without being hot.  Really good.  I try to patronize them as much as I can ( I don't think my husband is crazy about it)  because I want him to stay in business.  I don't think I can deal with there never being a Tino's.

The big local place around here is called Topper's.  It is really popular but I don't know why it is so good.  It is like crack.  I read a review of it that said it tasted like frozen and the sauce tasted like spaghetti-o's.  That description ruined it for me because it was accurate.  That being said.  I don't know why it is so good.  I do like the fact that I can get an individual pizza there so I can have my anchovies.

We usually order from a place called Ameci's because they have a big menu, their pizzas are huge, and they are cheap.  For being a franchise, they make a really good antipasti salad too.

I used to work at California Pizza Kitchen and though I think their "normal" pizzas suck...their specialty pizzas are to die for.  The Sicilian Pizza, The Potato pizza (discontinued,) Wild Mushroom pizza, and Tostada Pizza are my favorite.

After all this...Pizza for lunch today!

(04-18-2009, 01:31 PM)Paloma Wrote: The Potato pizza (discontinued,)
Okay, I'll bite. What on earth is a Potato pizza? Do I even want to know?  :laughing: And is that why it is discontinued?
The potato pizza - If I remember correctly it was a pizza that had a white wine /bourdelaise butter/garlic/shallot sauce instead of tomato sauce.  Then it had cheese and was layered with rosemary chicken and roasted yukon gold potato slices.  It had a lemony, rosemary flavor.

They discontinued it because California Pizza Kitchen is ran by a$$ clowns.  It was one of the original pizzas there but they do test kitchens where they invite people from the public to taste and rate pizzas.  Even if a pizza is rated high across the board but not a "5" - it can get the axe to make room for stupid pizzas like the Reuben Pizza (a pizza with thousand island, caraway seeds, pastrami, and saurkraut - not bad but kinda horrifying.  Luckily it didn't last long.)  They change their menu a lot and customers get ticked.

It is a good company and a good company to work for (pretty good benefits for working a min of 25 hours and/or 5 days a week if anyone is interested) but those in power make really stupid decisions when it comes to what they think is in the customer's best interest.

There's this place locally that makes the pizzas fresh then you take it home and cook it yourself.  Very tasty, but rather pricey.  Can't think of the name at the moment.

And I like Little Caesars too.  Pizza, Pizza!  ;D
(04-18-2009, 09:08 PM)DrBombay Wrote: There's this place locally that makes the pizzas fresh then you take it home and cook it yourself.  Very tasty, but rather pricey.  Can't think of the name at the moment.

Do you mean Papa John's?  Probably not because that's a chain.  I've never had it.  The point of pizza is that I don't have to cook; otherwise I'll get the frozen kind.
(04-18-2009, 10:33 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-18-2009, 09:08 PM)DrBombay Wrote: There's this place locally that makes the pizzas fresh then you take it home and cook it yourself.  Very tasty, but rather pricey.  Can't think of the name at the moment.

Do you mean Papa John's?  Probably not because that's a chain.  I've never had it.  The point of pizza is that I don't have to cook; otherwise I'll get the frozen kind.

Nope, it's called Papa Murphy's.  Very good.
The best pizza is antipasto. No crust!  :wine:

[Image: Antipasto-Tray.jpg]