Best Pizza
I made gnocchi tonight for the missus, made a little gorgonzola sauce as well for it. Those little gnocchi were a little mushier than I like (not mushy, but not al dente like I like it). Italian gnocchi no less, they usually use good flour, ...hmph.

Anyway, a little off topic, but the pizza discussion musta been part of my decision to whip up gnocchi.
(04-18-2009, 12:24 PM)Satori Wrote: Now I've decided to make pizza for supper tonight. Any particularly good crust recipes? (No bread machine recipes, please, as I don't have one.)

Yes, Magnificat, I make my own sauce, although I'm not as "scratchy" as I'd like to be since I use canned tomatoes and paste. I plan to change that, though, this summer when the tomatoes in the garden come into their glory. (I will not buy non-canned tomatoes at this time of year unless I have to. I don't believe in them ...)

I really don't get your resistance to a bread machine; they're the best. You should reconsider.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(04-20-2009, 04:56 AM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(04-18-2009, 12:24 PM)Satori Wrote: Now I've decided to make pizza for supper tonight. Any particularly good crust recipes? (No bread machine recipes, please, as I don't have one.)

Yes, Magnificat, I make my own sauce, although I'm not as "scratchy" as I'd like to be since I use canned tomatoes and paste. I plan to change that, though, this summer when the tomatoes in the garden come into their glory. (I will not buy non-canned tomatoes at this time of year unless I have to. I don't believe in them ...)

I really don't get your resistance to a bread machine; they're the best. You should reconsider.

Argh. I couldn't have a bread machine if I wanted one, because I have a very small kitchen that's already crammed to the gills with my equipment. There is literally no room for a bread machine.

I DO NOT WANT ONE. For me the point of making bread is to do it myself, hands-on -- to knead it, to feel the dough and discern its readiness, to smell it and taste it, not to listen to the machine happily grinding away. Besides, I like a good crisp crust, and bread machines don't deliver in that regard.

If bread machines are so great, why does my local thrift store have a whole row of them, all different models? I'll stick to making bread by hand for now, but I won't judge you for your attachment to ye old machine!
(04-20-2009, 09:55 AM)Satori Wrote:
(04-20-2009, 04:56 AM)Jacafamala Wrote:

Argh. I couldn't have a bread machine if I wanted one, because I have a very small kitchen that's already crammed to the gills with my equipment. There is literally no room for a bread machine.

I DO NOT WANT ONE. For me the point of making bread is to do it myself, hands-on -- to knead it, to feel the dough and discern its readiness, to smell it and taste it, not to listen to the machine happily grinding away. Besides, I like a good crisp crust, and bread machines don't deliver in that regard.

If bread machines are so great, why does my local thrift store have a whole row of them, all different models? I'll stick to making bread by hand for now, but I won't judge you for your attachment to ye old machine!
I can get a good crust from the machine; the crustiest. You just need the right recipe, Satori. Regarding why your local thrift store have a whole row of them, all different models? Well, that's because some people are very stupid, silly.  :P Surely you know this already.  But OK, I surmise that we have different reasons for making bread, so I'll let it go at that.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(04-18-2009, 10:50 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(04-18-2009, 10:33 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-18-2009, 09:08 PM)DrBombay Wrote: There's this place locally that makes the pizzas fresh then you take it home and cook it yourself.  Very tasty, but rather pricey.  Can't think of the name at the moment.

Do you mean Papa John's?  Probably not because that's a chain.  I've never had it.  The point of pizza is that I don't have to cook; otherwise I'll get the frozen kind.

Nope, it's called Papa Murphy's.  Very good.

Papa Murphy's is pretty good, and less expensive than places like Pizza Hut, too.  I like the fact that it's made fresh, right before your eyes, and you can it made to order- you're not bound by what's offered on the menu board.
As far as chains go Sbarro's.

As far as regular pizzeria's go, Brooklyn Pizza on Church Avenue in Brooklyn, New York (The one near the Church Ave train station.) and from what I have heard Di Fara's in Brooklyn.
(04-17-2009, 05:02 PM)dakotamidnight Wrote: Call me crazy, but my faves are Pizza Hut {Got addicted to it as a kid thanks to Book-It} and CiCi's

But for the price, the pizzas at sams club are good too.

You live in TX. There is NO GOOD PIZZA here.

I make my own. Same with bagels.

I've heard rumors from other NY metro area transplants of a couple pizza places to try.
I'm going back to Jersey in July/August. I can't wait to eat really good pizza!!!
(04-21-2009, 08:12 PM)mom Wrote:
(04-17-2009, 05:02 PM)dakotamidnight Wrote: Call me crazy, but my faves are Pizza Hut {Got addicted to it as a kid thanks to Book-It} and CiCi's

I've heard rumors from other NY metro area transplants of a couple pizza places to try.
I'm going back to Jersey in July/August. I can't wait to eat really good pizza!!!

I grew up in Houston. My church youth group used to go every week to Mr. Gatti's Pizza. It was awful, awful. I thought I hated pizza till I moved here.
Mr. Gatti's=  :puke:
(04-21-2009, 08:16 PM)Satori Wrote:
(04-21-2009, 08:12 PM)mom Wrote:

I grew up in Houston. My church youth group used to go every week to Mr. Gatti's Pizza. It was awful, awful. I thought I hated pizza till I moved here.
Awful pizza?! That's really, really sad. I like the idea of the delicious mail-order pizza. You can get it wherever you may roam.