Best Pizza
I made my last pizza crust with a lot of cornmeal in the dough. It was good and crunchy.
(05-08-2009, 01:23 PM)Satori Wrote: I made my last pizza crust with a lot of cornmeal in the dough. It was good and crunchy.

I didn't discover the value of cornmeal in my pizza dough for a long time.  I am still trying to get the amount right and I've been generally unsatisfied with any recipe that I come across.  The cornmeal gives the crust some texture and body without weighing down the rest of the dough.  But it always seems like I've added too much-- even when I'm staying conservative.  I need a crust that has some structure to it for deep-dish pizza, but one that is not too stiff or dense.
Later I'll send you the recipe I used if you want, but it was just a regular pizza, not pan.
(05-08-2009, 01:35 PM)Satori Wrote: Later I'll send you the recipe I used if you want, but it was just a regular pizza, not pan.

I don't really want to make a pan pizza (in the pizza hut sense), but more like a deep-dish pizza.  I need a crust that can line a pizza pan (ok, so maybe it's a pan pizza.  I think a lot of pizzas suffer from a lack of good and clear terms) and stand up the sides.  The technique is kind of like a pie crust that lines the bottom of the pan and climbs the sides.  I pre-bake the crust then bake it again with the cheese/toppings.

I've got the crust about 80% figured out.  So.  Close.
Joe, are you talking about something like the old Pizza Hut priazzo?
(05-08-2009, 01:48 PM)Texican Wrote: Joe, are you talking about something like the old Pizza Hut priazzo?

Doesn't ring a bell.  We might have not had that in KC.

I mean something more like a Chicago style pizza.  Something you'd find at Uno/Due/Gino's.

Pizzaria Uno:
[Image: birth-american-dishes-09-g.jpg]

Giordano's:
[Image: Pizza_2.jpg]
(05-08-2009, 12:02 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: I've always liked Pizza Hut's pan pizza. That crispy yet greasy crust is so gooood. And now they have chocolate dunkers! They're greasy breadsticks covered with partly melted white and milk chocolate and served with chocolate dipping sauce.
Oh. My.

Mm, I'm going to have to make another Pizza Hut trip soon!  You know, I always liked their stuffed crust.  Of course, I am always looking for the most efficient way of cramming the maximum amount of cheese into my body.
(05-08-2009, 02:05 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Doesn't ring a bell.  We might have not had that in KC.

I mean something more like a Chicago style pizza.  Something you'd find at Uno/Due/Gino's.

Oh, I see...  The priazzo was something like that, only more like a regular pie with a thin crust on the bottom, filled with cheese and stuff, then another crust on top, which was topped with more cheese.  It was great-  I wish Pizza Hut would bring it back.
(05-08-2009, 03:09 PM)Texican Wrote:
(05-08-2009, 02:05 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Doesn't ring a bell.  We might have not had that in KC.

Oh, I see...  The priazzo was something like that, only more like a regular pie with a thin crust on the bottom, filled with cheese and stuff, then another crust on top, which was topped with more cheese.  It was great-  I wish Pizza Hut would bring it back.

I remember that! It was my favorite -- all those thin layers soaked with sauce and cheese. I was just a young pup then. I wish Pizza Hut would bring it back.
Hmm...  I wonder if I can get Papa Murphy's to make me one of those?