Licit to attend weekly NO Masses with abuses?
(04-17-2009, 07:30 PM)Rosarium Wrote: Before deciding if you should attend this mass with its abuses, I think you should be sure it is the only option. Are there any other churches around? Look for eastern rites as well, they often are not as obvious.

I am very against those who say to miss mass when obligated because of the NO mass, however, I find it very hard to justify the attendence of a mass with abuses when one doesn't have a reason to go there.

Perhaps you could notify the bishop about these abuses? (Or if the bishop is involved, work your way up the chain).

I'm on the same boat that if it's an obligatory Mass (Sundays and Holy Days), abuses or no, one should attend Mass. But as to this, it seems more complex. After all, I feel like my attendance at these Masses is approval of what is going on, especially as it is not obligatory to be there.

And it pretty much is my only option due to school- most local daily Masses are in the morning. I could attend a 6:15 AM Mass that is marginally better, but I always have to leave that Mass right after communion (or I'd be late to class), and I don't like having to do that.

I would notify the Bishop, but he doesn't mind these sorts of things.

(04-17-2009, 07:30 PM)Credo Wrote: Go.

As such things go, those abuses seem rather minor. It would be a shame to withdraw yourself form the daily assembly those reasons. You may wish to bring your concerns to the priest after a few years, once you get to know the man.

To me the Sacred Species (I forgot to add the Sacred Hosts are kept in glass too) deserve proper vessels. I may not be well versed as many on here about liturgical matters, but to me that seems kind of big.

And I have talked to the priest about it, but he only said "The Bishop does it." Can't really get much more out of him than that.

(04-17-2009, 07:44 PM)tradmaverick Wrote: I understand you believe certain things about the New Mass, and I want to say something to you in charity and with the fullest respect for you and youre very commendable desire to receive the Eucharist daily, I think you should do a bit of reading into the New Mass, try googling the Ottaviani Intervention, or read the book the Great sacrilege, or anything by Michael Davies on the New Mass. There is plenty of evidence available to show that not only is the New Mass illicit, but it is immoral, and is indeed is a sin to attend it. It is not so much a matter of the abuses that (do indeed) go on during a new mass, it is the prayers of the New Mass itself (and the lack therof).

Again I dont mean to offend or cause a fight or something heated, but in fraternal charity and with the greatest respect for you I have to point that out.

God bless
Tradmav

I've read those critiques, but I'm not sold on them. I've been to some NO Masses that were quite edifying- the Roman Canon, all the proper vestments (including maniples and chalice veils), Latin, Communion kneeling and on the tongue, only distributed by priests, etc. It didn't seem much different than an organically developed TLM.  I think the prayers of the TLM are superior (especially the Offertory), but I don't see anything in the New Mass that is inherently bad if celebrated in an orthodox fashion.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Licit to attend weekly NO Masses with abuses? - by NonSumDignus - 04-17-2009, 08:18 PM