Licit to attend weekly NO Masses with abuses?
(04-17-2009, 07:03 PM)NonSumDignus Wrote: Hello all,

I have the incredible fortune of being able to attend a TLM every Sunday and Holy Day of Obligation, and for that I am grateful. However, the TLM is only offered on Sundays; if I want to receive the Eucharist during the week, I have to attend the NO (at a different Church). The problem is, the Masses there are abusive (glass chalices for the Precious Blood, lots of EM's, etc.) and in general hard to sit through- you've all been there.

A few things to consider: Glass, wood, copper and brass chalices are forbidden by Canon Law. So if you see one, it is not the fault of the so-called "Novus Ordo" but of a particular priest. Notify the bishop and let the ball be in his court.

Secondly, most "Novus Ordo" weekday Masses lack the usual Sunday extravaganza. They are low-keyed and quieter, have fewer or no EEM's, no music, no processionals, no bringing up of the gifts, etc. There are fewer people (most of them elderly) and less distractions. So it should be more tolerable.

Thirdly, whether the item(s) of distraction for you are liturgically proper or improper, if you're going to allow them to distract you to the point of sin, then you'd be better off staying home, imho (weekday Mass is not obligatory anyway). But remember WHY you are feeling the desire to go and WHO you are there to receive! Keep your focus on CHRIST as much as you can.

Finally, when you return to your pew after receiving Holy Communion, bow your head and close your eyes tight and keep them closed. This way you won't see what others are wearing (or not wearing), how they're receiving, whether on the tongue or in the hand, etc.. Use that time to talk to Jesus and everything else will disappear. You might even come away blessed.

- Lisa

Messages In This Thread
Re: Licit to attend weekly NO Masses with abuses? - by SCG - 04-23-2009, 05:25 PM