Licit to attend weekly NO Masses with abuses?
(04-23-2009, 07:53 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: In all fairness (as it has come to my attention due to someone who was nice enough to send me a private message), I have to make a retraction and clarification for a comment I made earlier.

StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:A few things to consider: Glass, wood, copper and brass chalices are forbidden by Canon Law. So if you see one, it is not the fault of the so-called "Novus Ordo" but of a particular priest. Notify the bishop and let the ball be in his court.

It looks like in the U.S., the sacred vessels needn't be gold if authorized by the Bishop - after having obtained permission from the Holy See.

Quote: 329. In the Dioceses of the United States of America, sacred vessels may also be made from other solid materials that, according to the common estimation in each region, are precious, for example, ebony or other hard woods, provided that such materials are suited to sacred use and do not easily break or deteriorate. This applies to all vessels which hold the hosts, such as the paten, the ciborium, the pyx, the monstrance, and other things of this kind.
http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current/chapter6.shtml

Further, from the Vatican website, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacrament: Redemptionis Sacramentum - includes the exception, which I'll bold.

Quote: [117.] Sacred vessels for containing the Body and Blood of the Lord must be made in strict conformity with the norms of tradition and of the liturgical books.[205]The Bishops’ Conferences have the faculty to decide whether it is appropriate, once their decisions have been given the recognitio by the Apostolic See, for sacred vessels to be made of other solid materials as well. It is strictly required, however, that such materials be truly noble in the common estimation within a given region,[206]

So, NonSumDignus, I would wait before firing off that angry letter to the bishop.  :laughing:  But I still stand in amazement at how the US Bishops keep doing their best to make the "American Catholic Church" the exception to every rule - in almost what seems to be an effort to distance themselves as far as possible from Rome. As this person in PM pointed out - and I agree - it appears the document was referring to "exceptions" being applied to Third World nations who are a lot less affluent than we are. In my opinion there is no excuse for something like this in the United States.

- Lisa

I hesitate to call wine glasses "noble in our common estimation". Glass is relatively cheap, considering that the standard is gold. I wonder if anyone could se if glass has been approved? I would be really surprised, given that the GIRM specifically points out glass as a bad vessel.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Licit to attend weekly NO Masses with abuses? - by NonSumDignus - 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM