Licit to attend weekly NO Masses with abuses?
(04-23-2009, 09:44 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I don't think glass/crystal is noble... and I don't think they're allowed because they are breakable. I was clarifying my post which implied that material other than precious metals could never be used.

For a short time our church - under a lax pastor - used glass chalices until we got a new pastor who put an end to that. Keep in mind too that a lot of priests received crystal chalices as gifts before the rules changed. They may have permission from their bishops to use them on occasion.

- Lisa

Believe me, I think there are two problems with, oh we'll call them church accouterments.

Firstly, people say they prefer wood and glass altars (or chalices) because gold and marble are too expensive and extravagant.  I believe these people are actually only interested in appearances, because some of the wooden and glass constructions I've seen (altars, ambos, lecterns etc) are obviously expensive hand crafted one-of pieces.

Secondly, I'm sure some pastors are left with the white-elephants from the previous pastors.  If a load of money was recently spent on something ugly, I'm sure the parishioners would be up in arms if they were to be replaced.  A prime example of this would be the L.A. Cathedral.

Not only that, but there are also a few pieces where a parishioner will drop large money on some renovation, and it will turn out to be brutal; would the pastor be able to un-renovate it in his lifetime?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Licit to attend weekly NO Masses with abuses? - by Tiny - 04-24-2009, 10:20 AM