Trad Dating/Marriage
(04-19-2009, 04:37 PM)phnuggle Wrote: Wow, this guy lives in my town. I didn't know there were OP trads. Nifty. That said, I think his Austen comparisons were terrible, but he does make great points. When the Catholic family—scratch that, the family in general—is in crisis like it is nowadays, we don't really have the luxury of looking for a "perfect match", if such a thing exists at all.
No kidding.  After all, I find myself to have a whole host of problems related to being raised in a secular society.  So, I had to find a husband who was messed up in a way that I could tolerate, while he can tolerate my shortcomings as well.
(04-19-2009, 03:05 PM)Credo Wrote: Traditional women who are single are insufferably snobby

Excuse me?
The individual who wrote this article says he's been dating for ten years - sounds like a candidate for the mortification thread down in the Pig Roast.  Ten years?!?!  This article is a cry for help, not a serious proposal about how Traditional Catholics should conduct themselves with regard to marriage. 
(04-19-2009, 06:25 PM)piabee Wrote:
(04-19-2009, 03:05 PM)Credo Wrote: Traditional women who are single are insufferably snobby

Excuse me?

LOL.  I have to disagree with Credo insofar as the presumed numbers are concerned (seriously dude, "all" of them or do you just mean the vast majority???) although it is true that I have known many single trad females to have rather high opinions of themselves (especially where superficiality is concerned...the prettier they think they are, the worse the snobbery, as though we should all make the world's idioc standards our own).  On the other hand, I have known a lot of single trad boys....ahem, guys...I mean, boys, who also have questionably high opinions of themselves.  Go figure...

As for me and my own...We both lucked out...er, I mean, we shall continue to serve the Lord.
(04-19-2009, 07:42 PM)Cassius_Longinus Wrote: LOL.  I have to disagree with Credo insofar as the presumed numbers are concerned (seriously dude, "all" of them or do you just mean the vast majority???) although it is true that I have known many single trad females to have rather high opinions of themselves (especially where superficiality is concerned...the prettier they think they are, the worse the snobbery, as though we should all make the world's idioc standards our own).  On the other hand, I have known a lot of single trad boys....ahem, guys...I mean, boys, who also have questionably high opinions of themselves.  Go figure...

As for me and my own...We both lucked out...er, I mean, we shall continue to serve the Lord.

I think this isn't unique. We are just getting a smaller sampling so it seems more. If 30 out of 100 people are not snobs, we don't notice much in a group of 3000, but it would stand out in a group of 200.
While waiting for the "ideal" spouse may make a man embark on a frustrating journey, I think if a man has an authentically Catholic view of married life he will be able to lead his future wife, who may fall short of these ideals, to holiness and she will gladly follow him. Beauty in a woman (and there are many beautiful traditional Catholic woman out there) should not give a woman a high opinion of herself but she should be thankful to God for this beauty because it is a means God has established for her to attract a man. It is perfectly natural. Nevertheless, the goal should always be "how will this man?" or "how will this woman?" help me become holy and help me establish a Catholic home. Is this too much to ask for in a future spouse?
(04-19-2009, 03:36 PM)libby Wrote: "That's because all the other Trad guys already have it all figured out. They want a girl who is:

1. Educated but untainted by a university.
2. Beautiful but who never gives a thought to her appearance.
3. Lively and entertaining but completely passive and submissive.
4. Very young but very mature.
5. Fragile and otherworldly but who can who can raise twelve kids while dad works a minimum-wage job.
6. Holy and pure but in every way as interesting and exciting as a modern girl."

So - a brainiac, beautiful, meek clown in a delicate condition that has the stamina to care for a pile of kids that are apparently only slightly younger than she is. Oh, and she should probably learn to ride a unicycle for a little excitement. I don't know - maybe they're not so much insufferably snobby as just plain old schizophrenic.

I don't think they care about #1 ("they" being the rad-trad he-boy types, NOT most trad men). As long as wifey knows just enough, somehow,  to homeschool the brood, university is frowned upon ("ideas aren't for girls").  And #2 is quite a trick, eh? LOL There are other requirements, too, though:

7. Never ever thinks of sex (and certainly never expects pleasure out of it), but is willing to let him do it often enough so they end up with the 18 children.
8. Has no intellectual, emotional, or artistic needs but exists solely to please Mr. Man and clean up after children. Any other desire on her part would be selfish.
9. Lives such a life as described above, but is always smiling or, at least, never shows discontent.
VoxClamantis Wrote:7. Never ever thinks of sex (and certainly never expects pleasure out of it), but is willing to let him do it often enough so they end up with the 18 children.
8. Has no intellectual, emotional, or artistic needs but exists solely to please Mr. Man and clean up after children. Any other desire on her part would be selfish.
9. Lives such a life as described above, but is always smiling or, at least, never shows discontent.

Ah, yes.. Something strange is happening in the town of Stepford..

[Image: stepfordwives.jpg]
I'm single & not snobby in the slightest. I run my own business & work inside the home as to be able to stay home and care for my daughter.

However I am a single mom {never married}, and I find most trad catholic men won't even consider it. I wish more men would remember that St. Joseph was a step father so to speak to Jesus - and keep that in mind when they look at single moms.
(04-19-2009, 08:39 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: 7. Never ever thinks of sex (and certainly never expects pleasure out of it), but is willing to let him do it often enough so they end up with the 18 children.

!!!!!!!!

I thought "put a flag over your face and do it for your country" was reserved for certain Protestants and Madeleine Khan ( may she rest in peace).

no way.