Rule/Martyrology
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for May 29:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

We are thus forbidden to do our own will, since the Scripture saith to us: "And turn away from thy evil will" (Sir 18:30). And thus, too, we ask God in prayer that His will may be done in us (cf Mt 6:10). We are, therefore, rightly taught not to do our own will, when we guard against what Scripture saith: "There are ways that to men seem right, the end whereof plungeth into the depths of hell" (Prov 16:25). And also when we are filled with dread at what is said of the negligent: "They are corrupted and become abominable in their pleasure" (Ps 13[14]:1). But as regards desires of the flesh, let us believe that God is thus ever present to us, since the Prophet saith to the Lord: "Before Thee is all my desire" (Ps 37[38]:10).

Martyrology-May 30th
Roman Martyrology-May 30th- on this date in various years-

Pope St. Felix I, martyr, whose birthday is commemorated on the 30th of December.

At Torres in Sardinia, the holy martyrs Gabinus and Crispulus.

At Antioch, Saints Sycus and Palatinus, who endured many torments for the name of Christ.

At Ravenna, St. Exuperantius, bishop and confessor.

At Pavia, St. Anastasius, bishop.

At Caesarea in Cappadocia, the Saints Basil and his wife Emmelia, parents of St. Basil the Great, St. Gregory of Nyssa, St. Peter of Sebastopol, bishops, and St. Macrina, virgin. They lived in exile in the deserts of Pontus during the reign of Galerius Maximian, and after the persecution they died in peace, leaving their children as heirs of their virtues.

At Seville in Spain, St. Ferdinand III, king of Castile and Leon. He was surnamed the Saint on account of his eminent virtues; he was celebrated for his zeal in spreading the faith. After conquering the Moors he left his kingdom on earth to pass happily to that of heaven.

At Rouen, St. Joan of Arc, virgin, called the Maid of Orleans. After fighting heroically for her fatherland, she was at the end delivered into the hands of the enemies, condemned by an unjust judge, and burned at the stake. The supreme Pontiff Benedict XV placed her name on the canon of the saints.

And elsewhere in divers places, many other holy martyrs, confessors, and holy virgins.
R. Thanks be to God.
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for May 30:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

We must, therefore, guard thus against evil desires, because death hath his station near the entrance of pleasure. Whence the Scripture commandeth, saying: "Go no after thy lusts" (Sir 18:30). If, therefore, the eyes of the Lord observe the good and the bad (cf Prov 15:3) and the Lord always looketh down from heaven on the children of men, to see whether there be anyone that understandeth or seeketh God (cf Ps 13[14]:2); and if our actions are reported to the Lord day and night by the angels who are appointed to watch over us daily, we must ever be on our guard, brethren, as the Prophet saith in the psalm, that God may at no time see us "gone aside to evil and become unprofitable" (Ps 13[14]:3), and having spared us in the present time, because He is kind and waiteth for us to be changed for the better, say to us in the future: "These things thou hast done and I was silent" (Ps 49[50]:21).

Martyrology-May 31st
Roman Martyrology-May 31st- on this date in various years-

For 2009 The day of Pentecost, when the Holy Ghost came down upon the disciples at Jerusalem in the form of fiery tongues.

St. Angela Merici, virgin of the Third Order of St. Francis. She was the foundress of the Nuns of St. Ursula, and was called by her heavenly Spouse on the 27th of January in order to receive an incorruptible crown.

At Rome, St. Petronilla, virgin, disciple of the blessed apostle Peter. She refused to marry Flaccus, a nobleman, and was granted three days for deliberation. She spent these days in fasting and in prayer, and on the third day, after having received the Sacrament of the Body of Christ, she yielded up her soul.

At Aquileia, the holy martyrs Cantius, Cantian, and Cantianilla, members of one family, which belonged to the illustrious line of the Anicii. For their attachment to the Christian faith, they were condemned to capital punishment with their tutor, Protus, in the time of Emperors Diocletian and Maximian.

At Torres in Sardinia, St. Crescentian, martyr.

At Comana in Pontus during the reign of Emperor Antoninus, St. Hermias, a soldier. Being miraculously delivered from many horrible torments, he converted his executioner to Christ, and made him partaker of the crown which he was first to receive by being beheaded.

At Verona, St. Lupicinus, bishop.

At Rome, St. Paschasius, deacon and confessor, who is mentioned by blessed Pope Gregory.

And elsewhere in divers places, many other holy martyrs, confessors, and holy virgins.
R. Thanks be to God.
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for May 31:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The second degree of humility is, when a man loveth not his own will, nor is pleased to fulfill his own desires but by his deeds carrieth our that word of the Lord which saith: "I came not to do My own will but the will of Him that sent Me" (Jn 6:38). It is likewise said: "Self-will hath its punishment, but necessity winneth the crown."

Martyrology-June 1st
Roman Martyrology-June 1st- on this date in various years-

At Rome, St. Juventius, martyr.

At Autun, the Saints Reverian, bishop, and Paul, a priest, along with ten others, who were crowned with martyrdom under Emperor Aurelian.

At Caesarea in Palestine, blessed Pamphilus, priest and martyr, a man of remarkable sanctity and learning, and great charity to the poor. In the persecution of Galerius Maximian, he was tortured for the faith of Christ, under Governor Urbanus, and thrown into prison. Later he was again subjected to torments under Firmilian, and he completed his martyrdom with others. At the same time, there suffered Valens, a deacon, and Paul, and nine others, whose commemoration occurs on other days.

In Cappadocia, in the time of Emperor Alexander and the prefect Simplicius, the holy martyr Thespesius, who, after undergoing many torments, was beheaded.

In Egypt, under Emperor Diocletian, the holy martyrs Ischyrion, a military officer, and five other soldiers, who were put to death in various ways for the faith of Christ.

Also, St. Firmus, martyr , who was scourged most severely, struck with stones, and finally beheaded during the persecution of Maximian.

At Perugia, the holy martyrs Felinus and Gratinian, soldiers under Decius, who were tortured in several ways, and by a glorious death won the palm of martyrdom.

At Bologna, St. Proculus, martyr, who suffered under Emperor Maximian.

At Amelia in Umbria, in the reign of Diocletian, St. Secundus, martyr, who fulfilled his martyrdom when thrown into the Tiber.

At Tiferno in Umbria, St. Crescentian, a Roman soldier, crowned with martyrdom under the same emperor.

In the monastery of Lerins, the abbot St. Caprasius.

At Burgos in Spain, in the monastery of Onia, St. Eneco, Benedictine abbot, made illustrious by his sanctity and miracles.

At Montefalco in Umbria, St. Fortunatus, a priest renowned for his virtues and his miracles.

At Treves, St. Simeon, a monk, whom Pope Benedict IX numbered among the saints.

R. Thanks be to God.
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for June 1:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The third degree of humility is, that for the love of God a man subject himself to a Superior in all obedience, imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle saith: "He became obedient unto death" (Phil 2:8).

Martyrology-June 2nd
Roman Martyrology-June 2nd- on this date in various years-

At Rome, the birthday of the holy martyr Marcellinus, priest, and Peter, exorcist, who instructed in the faith many persons kept in prison. Under Diocletian, they were loaded with chains, and after enduring many torments, were beheaded by Judge Serenus, in a place which was then called the Black Forest, but which was in their honour afterwards known as the White Forest. Their bodies were buried in a crypt near St. Tiburtius, and Pope St. Damasus composed an epitaph in verse for their tomb.

In Campania, during the reign of Decius, St. Erasmus, bishop and martyr, who was first scourged with leaded whips and then severely beaten with rods. He also had resin, brimstone, lead, pitch, wax, and oil poured over him, without receiving any injury. Afterwards, under Maximian, he was again subjected to various and most horrible tortures at Mola, but still was preserved from death by the power of God in order to confirm others in the faith. Finally, celebrated for his sufferings, and called by God, he closed his life by a peaceful and holy death. His body was afterwards transferred to Gaeta.

At Lyons, many holy martyrs (Photinus, a bishop, Sanctus, a deacon, Vetius, Epagathus, Maturus, Ponticus, Biblis, Attalus, Alexander, and Blandina, with many others), whose many valiant trials in the time of Marcus Aurelius Antoninus and Lucius Verus are recorded in a letter from the church at Lyons to the churches of Asia and Phrygia. St. Blandina, one of these martyrs, was weaker by reason of her sex, more infirm in body, and of a lower station in life, and yet she encountered longer and more terrible trials than the rest. But remaining unshaken, she was put to the sword, and followed those whom she had exhorted to win the palm of martyrdom.

In the island of Marmara, in the Sea of Marmara, St. Nicephorus, bishop of Constantinople. In defence of the traditions of the Fathers and of the veneration of sacred images, he set himself firmly against the Iconoclast emperor Leo the Armenian, by whom he was sent into exile. There he underwent a long martyrdom of fourteen years and then departed for the kingdom of God.

At Rome, Pope St. Eugene I, Confessor.

At Trani in Apulia, St. Nicholas Peregrinus, confessor, whose miracles were recounted in the Roman Council under Pope Urban II.

R. Thanks be to God.
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for June 2:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The fourth degree of humility is, that, if hard and distasteful things are commanded, nay, even though injuries are inflicted, he accept them with patience and even temper, and not grow weary or give up, but hold out, as the Scripture saith: "He that shall persevere unto the end shall be saved" (Mt 10:22). And again: "Let thy heart take courage, and wait thou for the Lord" (Ps 26[27]:14). And showing that a faithful man ought even to bear every disagreeable thing for the Lord, it saith in the person of the suffering: "For Thy sake we suffer death all the day long; we are counted as sheep for the slaughter" (Rom 8:36; Ps 43[44]:22). And secure in the hope of the divine reward, they go on joyfully, saying: "But in all these things we overcome because of Him that hath loved us" (Rom 8:37). And likewise in another place the Scripture saith: "Thou, O God, hast proved us; Thou hast tried us by fire as silver is tried; Thou hast brought us into a net, Thou hast laid afflictions on our back" (Ps 65[66]:10-11). And to show us that we ought to be under a Superior, it continueth, saying: "Thou hast set men over our heads" (Ps 65[66]:12). And fulfilling the command of the Lord by patience also in adversities and injuries, when struck on the one cheek they turn also the other; the despoiler of their coat they give their cloak also; and when forced to go one mile they go two (cf Mt 5:39-41); with the Apostle Paul they bear with false brethren and "bless those who curse them" (2 Cor 11:26; 1 Cor 4:12).

Martyrology-June 3rd
Roman Martyrology-June 3rd- on this date in various years-

At Arezzo in Tuscany, during the persecution of Decius, under Governor Tiburtius, the holy martyrs Pergentinus and Laurentinus, brothers, who being as yet children, were put to the sword after they had endured cruel torments and performed many miracles.

At Constantinople, the holy martyrs Lucillian and four boys, Claudius, Hypatius, Paul, and Denis. Lucillian, formerly a pagan priest, but now a Christian, was cast with them into a furnace after undergoing many torments, but the flames were extinguished by the rain and all escaped injury. Finally their lives were ended under the governor Silvanus, Lucillian by crucifixion, the children by beheading.

At Cordova in Spain, blessed Isaac, a monk who was slain by the sword for the faith of Christ.

At Constantinople, St. Paula, virgin and martyr, who was arrested while gathering the blood of the martyrs just mentioned. She was beaten with rods and thrown into the fire, but was delivered from it. She was at length beheaded in the same place where St. Lucillian had been crucified.

At Carthage, St. Caecilius, the priest who converted St. Cyprian to the faith of Christ.

In the diocese of Orleans, St. Lifard, priest and confessor.

At Lucca in Tuscany, St. Davinus, confessor.

At Anagni, St. Olive, virgin.

At Paris, St. Clotilde, queen, by whose prayers her husband, King Clovis, was converted to the faith of Christ.

R. Thanks be to God.
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for June 3:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The fifth degree of humility is, when one hideth from his Abbot none of the evil thoughts which rise in his heart or the evils committed by him in secret, but humbly confesseth them. Concerning this the Scripture exhorts us, saying: "Reveal thy way to the Lord and trust in Him" (Ps 36[37]:5). And it saith further: "Confess to the Lord, for He is good, for His mercy endureth forever" (Ps 105[106]:1; Ps 117[118]:1). And the Prophet likewise saith: "I have acknowledged my sin to Thee and my injustice I have not concealed. I said I will confess against myself my injustice to the Lord; and Thou hast forgiven the wickedness of my sins" (Ps 31[32]:5).

Martyrology-June 4th
Roman Martyrology-June 4th- on this date in various years-

At Agnone in Abruzzo, St. Francis of the noble Neapolitan family Caracciolo, confessor, and founder of the Congregation of Minor Clerks Regular. He burned with an admirable love of God and of neighbour, and a most ardent desire to spread devotion to the Most Holy Eucharist. His body was taken to Naples in Campania, where it is religiously honoured. He was inscribed in the catalogue of the saints by Pius VII.

At Rome, the holy martyrs Aretius and Dacian.

At Sissek in Illyria, in the time of Governor Galerius, St. Quirinus, bishop. Prudentius relates that for the faith of Christ he was thrown into a river with a millstone tied to his neck. But the stone floated, and he for a long time exhorted the Christians who were present not to be terrified by his punishment, nor to waver in the faith, and then obtained of God by his prayers that he should be drowned in order to attain the glory of martyrdom.

At Milan, in the reign of Emperor Nero, St. Clateus, bishop of Brescia and martyr. By order of the prefect of the city he was arrested, and when he would not deny Christ he was cruelly scourged and beheaded.

In Hungary, the holy martyrs Rutilus and his companions.

At Tivoli, St Quirinus, martyr.

At Arras in France, St. Saturnina, virgin and martyr.

At Constantinople, St. Metrophanes, bishop and renowned confessor.

At Milevi in Numidia, St. Optatus, bishop, celebrated for his learning and holiness. The holy Fathers of the Church, Augustine and Fulgentius, prasied him highly.

At Verona, St. Alexander, bishop.

R. Thanks be to God.
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for June 4:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The sixth degree of humility is, when a monk is content with the meanest and worst of everything, and in all that is enjoined him holdeth himself as a bad and worthless workman, saying with the Prophet: "I am brought to nothing and I knew it not; I am become as a beast before Thee, and I am always with Thee" (Ps 72[73]:22-23).

Martyrology-June 5th
Roman Martyrology-June 5th- on this date in various years-

In Friesland, St. Boniface, bishop of Mainz, and martyr. He went from England to Rome, and was then sent by Pope Gregory II to Germany to preach the faith of Christ to the people of that country. After converting large multitudes to the Christian religion, especially in Friesland, he merited the title Apostle of the Germans. His martyrdom was fulfilled by being put to the sword by the furious heathens, along with his fellow bishop Eobanus and some other servants of God.

At Tyre, St. Dorotheus, a priest, who suffered greatly under Diocletian, but survived until the reign of Julian, under whom his venerable age of one hundred and seven years was crowned with martyrdom.

In Egypt, the birthday of the holy martyrs Marcian, Nicanor, Apollonius, and others, who suffered a glorious martyrdom.

At Perugia, the holy martyrs Florentius, Julian, Cyriacus, Marcellinus, and Faustinus, who were beheaded in the persecution of Decius.

At Cordova in Spain, blessed Sancho, a youth brought up in the royal court, who did not hesitate to undergo martyrdom for the faith of Christ during the persecution by the Arabs.

At Caesarea in Palestine, the martyrdom of the Saints Zenaides, Cyria, Valeria, and Marcia, who joyfully attained martyrdom through many torments.

R. Thanks be to God.
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for June 5:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The seventh degree of humility is, when, not only with his tongue he declareth, but also in his inmost soul believeth, that he is the lowest and vilest of men, humbling himself and saying with the Prophet: "But I am a worm and no man, the reproach of men and the outcast of the people" (Ps 21[22]:7). "I have been exalted and humbled and confounded" (Ps 87[88]:16). And also: "It is good for me that Thou hast humbled me, that I may learn Thy commandments" (Ps 118[119]:71,73).

Martyrology-June 6th
Roman Martyrology-June 6th- on this date in various years-

At Magdeburg, St. Norbert, bishop of that city, confessor. He was the founder of the Premonstratensian Order.

At Caesarea in Palestine, the birthday of blessed Philip, one of the first seven deacons. He was renowned for miracles and prodigies. He converted Samaria to the faith of Christ, baptized the eunuch of Candace, queen of Ethiopia, and finally rested in peace at Caesarea. Near him are buried three of his daughters, virgins and prophetesses. His fourth daughter died at Ephesus, filled with the Holy Ghost.

At Rome, St. Artemius, with his wife Candida and his daughter Paulina. Artemius became a believer through the preaching and miracles of St. Peter the Exorcist, who was baptized with all his household by the priest St. Marcellinus. By order of Judge Serenus, he was scourged with leaded whips, and then slain with the sword. His wife and daughter were forced into a pit and covered with stones and earth.

In the district of Bologna, St. Alexander, bishop of Fiesole and martyr. While returning from the town of Pavia, where he had defended the title to the goods of his church before the Lombard king against those taking them away, he was seized by the usurpers, cast into the Rhine river, and drowned.

At Tarsus in Cilicia, in the time of Emperors Diocletian and Maximian, and the governor Simplicius, twenty holy martyrs, who, through various torments to their bodies, glorified God.

At Noyon in France, the holy martyrs Amantius, Alexander, and their companions.

At Milan, the death of St. Eustorgius II, bishop and confessor.

At Verona, the bishop St. John.

At Besançon, France, the bishop St. Claudius.

R. Thanks be to God.
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for June 6:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The eighth degree of humility is, when a monk doeth nothing but what is sanctioned by the common rule of the monastery and the example of his elders.

Martyrology-June 7th
Roman Martyrology-June 7th- on this date in various years-

For 2009The Feast of the most holy and undivided Trinity, and the Octave of Pentecost.

At Constantinople, the birthday of St. Paul, bishop of that city. For the Catholic faith, he was often driven out of his see by the Arians, but restored to it by the Roman Pontiff, St. Julius I. Finally the Arian emperor Constantius banished him to Cucusum, a small town of Cappadocia. There, by the intrigue of the Arians, he was barbarously strangled, and thus departed for the heavenly kingdom. His body was taken to Constantinople with the greatest honour during the reign of Emperor Theodosius.

At Cordova in Spain, the holy martyrs Peter, a priest, Wallabonsus, a deacon, Sabinianus, Wistremund, Habentius, and Jeremias, all of whom were monks. Their throats were cut at the time of the Arab persecution because they had confessed Christ.

At Hermopolis in Egypt, St. Licarion, martyr, who had his body lacerated, was scourged with heated iron rods, and endured other horrible torments, after which his martyrdom was completed by beheading.

At Placentia, St. Anthony Mary Gianelli, bishop of Bobbio, and founder of the Congregation of Sisters of our Lady of the Garden. Pope Pius XII numbered him among the saints of heaven.

In England, St. Robert, an abbot of the Cistercian Order.

R. Thanks be to God.
The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for June 7:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The ninth degree of humility is, when a monk withholdeth his tongue from speaking, and keeping silence doth not speak until he is asked; for the Scripture showeth that "in a multitude of words there shall not want sin" (Prov 10:19); and that "a man full of tongue is not established in the earth" (Ps 139[140]:12).

Martyrology-June 8th
Roman Martyrology-June 8th- on this date in various years-

At Aix in France, St. Maximin, first bishop of that city, who is said to have been a disciple of the Lord.

On the same day, St. Calliopa, martyr, who for the faith of Christ received the palm of martyrdom. Her breasts had been cut away, her flesh burned, she was rolled on broken pottery, and was at last beheaded.

At York in England, St. William, archbishop and confessor, who, among other miracles wrought at his tomb, raised three persons from the dead. He was placed in the calendar of the saints by Pope Honorius III.

At Soissons in France, the birthday of St. Medard, bishop of Noyon, whose life and precious death are commended by glorious miracles.

At Rouen, St. Gildard, bishop, brother of this same St. Medard. They were born on the same day, consecrated bishops at the same time, and were taken from this life on the same day, entering heaven together.

At Sens, the bishop St. Heraclius.

At Metz, the bishop St. Clodulph.

In Piceno, St. Severin, bishop of Septempeda.

In Sardinia, St. Sallustian, confessor.

At Camerino, St. Victorinus, confessor, the twin brother of St. Severin, bishop of Septempeda.

R. Thanks be to God.