Napolitano Defends Putting Pro-Life Advocates in Terrorism Report
Napolitano Defends Putting Pro-Life Advocates in Terrorism Report

Washington, DC -- In a Sunday interview, the head of the Department of Homeland Security defended including pro-life advocates in a new report the agency produced saying "opponents of abortion" are likely to engage in extremism or terrorism.

The report has caused a significant backlash with some calling for firing DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano.

See http://www.LifeNews.com/nat4922.html
Woohoo! I'm a terrorist!!! :angrywom:
We all knew it would come to this eventually! I guess I should start digging some catacombs.
I'm a pro-lifer, but how is this false? We've seen the abortion clinic bombings.
Opponents of abortion are more likely to engage in violent activities?
If that's the case, then darn it, I'm a proud radical right-wing extremist.  :amen:
(04-20-2009, 04:09 PM)JonathanCid Wrote: I'm a pro-lifer, but how is this false? We've seen the abortion clinic bombings.

How absurd.

That's like saying that high school students are terrorists because of Columbine.
Have you read the DHS report?
(04-20-2009, 04:40 PM)JonathanCid Wrote: Have you read the DHS report?

enlighten me.
(04-20-2009, 04:49 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(04-20-2009, 04:40 PM)JonathanCid Wrote: Have you read the DHS report?

enlighten me.

The entire report is based on potential threats that should be watched. If you actively laugh about and condone abortion clinic bombings, the Department by the name of Homeland Security is going to do their job and work on protecting the security of the homeland.
I've just looked at the brief report (only 9 pages), and there are only two references to abortion.

On a footnote on page 2, the report gives a broad overview of the different sorts of "rightwing extremist" organizations and individuals:
Quote:Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and
adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups),
and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or
rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a
single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration.
(my emphasis)

So, we have a general proposed tree of the extreme right:

Extremist individuals and organizations
1) Hate-oriented
  a- religious hatred
  b- racial hatred
  c- ethnic hatred
2) Antigovernment
  a- federalist, pro-autonomy
  b- anarchist

Within the two subsets, single-issue extremists may be present, the report suggests. It appears that opposition to abortion falls under "antigovernment," right? Because opposition to abortion emphasizes the state endorsement of abortion?

Wrong. The report's other reference to the pro-life movement casts a far more ominous image: the pro-life movement as characterized by hatred. In the section "Revisiting the 90s," the report slanders the pro-life movement that came to a head in the 1990s by suggesting that pro-life advocacy and the visibility of pro-life issues led directly to terrorist attacks against government offices, banks, and public infrastructure. It even suggests that there is an intimate link between white supremacist organizations and opposition to abortion! These are the same white supremacists who rejoice in knowing that most abortion facilities target minority segments of the population! This is absurd! How does being pro-life have anything to do with hatred?

Quote:Prominent among these themes were the militia movement’s
opposition to gun control efforts, criticism of free trade agreements (particularly those
with Mexico), and highlighting perceived government infringement on civil liberties as
well as white supremacists’ longstanding exploitation of social issues such as abortion,
inter-racial crimes, and same-sex marriage. During the 1990s, these issues contributed to
the growth in the number of domestic rightwing terrorist and extremist groups and an
increase in violent acts targeting government facilities, law enforcement officers, banks,
and infrastructure sectors.
(my emphasis again)

This report is a shoddily thrown-together slander of the pro-life movement, which has struggled tirelessly on behalf of minorities and women and families everywhere, and I can't fathom why the Department of Homeland Security would implicate the pro-life movement with militias and white supremacists. Have these people read their history? Do they have any contact with the real world?

You are patently wrong, JonathanCid. This is not just an attempt to list "potential threats that should be watched." The report categorizes motivations, sketches non-existent organizational links, and falsely implicates the pro-life movement in white supremacist violence and the murder of law enforcement officers. On top of that, it twists history to suit the political agenda of badgering the pro-life movement, which has been overwhelmingly peaceful and humane from its outset. The whole movement, the whole issue of abortion controversy, is suggested to be constitutive of a sort of hatred that finds natural fellowship among black-haters and gun nuts and serves as fodder to what violence they may commit.