Good Wifey
Everyone has cute pet names....I call my husband dude, he calls me woman...LOL thankfully neither of us are too sensitive!
I love it when Mexican couples (and other Spanish speakers) call each other "vieja/viejo"  (old lady/old man.) To my ears, it sounds mean, but it is really a term of endearment. 
(04-23-2009, 11:52 PM)Paloma Wrote: I love it when Mexican couples (and other Spanish speakers) call each other "vieja/viejo"  (old lady/old man.) To my ears, it sounds mean, but it is really a term of endearment. 

[i]I've always thought so too!

Also, gorda/gordo ( fatman/fatwoman), china/chino, negro/negra.

I've always heard them, and they always bothered me.

But like Paloma said, they're endearments.

I prefer mi amor ( my love), mi vida ( my life) , mi cielo ( my heaven ).

Not always used in the romantic sense - I call my kids those pet names, when I'm not saying " why, you.........!
[/i]
I don't think I can repeat what my parents call each other. Lol.

One of my teachers related when she was in school the nun asked her to write down her parents' names. She responded she didn't know what her father's was. The nun asked her, "Well what does you mom call him?" "Sombitch" she replied. She was in the first grade.
(04-21-2009, 07:22 AM)smith Wrote: so b4 marriage and kids i was one of those feminist idiots who thought stay at home moms and obedient wives were all outdated. Thank God i must have received graces from starting my family b/c now i want more than ever to be an obedient wife and excellent catholic mommy. However i sometimes struggle with my old feminist ideals when it comes to dealing with my husband. are there any books that can give me pointers on how to be a good catholic wife? I know the bible has set the rules which i want more than anything to follow, i was just looking for maybe modern day examples, to show me when i just have to shut up and realise he is the head of the household and its just my job to support his decisions.

I'm actually super glad someone brought this up. Does anyone have a good example of what this looks like in real life? Is it like, you two can't agree on which car to buy, so the wife just goes with what he wants? I find this concept puzzling sometimes. My parents weren't traditional Catholics, so maybe that's why I'm confused. When it came to making big family decisions, they usually just talked (or sometimes fought lol) and traded off on stuff. I'm sure this concept extends beyond disagreements, but I just don't really get it. Would anyone care to explain?
I don't think that's how it's supposed to work, as with the case with the car. If the husband has a legitimate reason for a specific car but the wife wants a different one for a superfluous reason then you sumbit to hubby. The doctrine doesn't mean a woman's opinions, preferences or thoughts are less worthy than her husband's.
Quote:If the husband has a legitimate reason for a specific car but the wife wants a different one for a superfluous reason then you sumbit to hubby.

9 times out of 10 it's usually the man who wants a car for 'superfluous reasons'. "But honey, that Corvette is suh-WEET! So what if it only holds 2 people?"
(04-24-2009, 12:52 AM)ophelia Wrote:
(04-21-2009, 07:22 AM)smith Wrote: so b4 marriage and kids i was one of those feminist idiots who thought stay at home moms and obedient wives were all outdated. Thank God i must have received graces from starting my family b/c now i want more than ever to be an obedient wife and excellent catholic mommy. However i sometimes struggle with my old feminist ideals when it comes to dealing with my husband. are there any books that can give me pointers on how to be a good catholic wife? I know the bible has set the rules which i want more than anything to follow, i was just looking for maybe modern day examples, to show me when i just have to shut up and realise he is the head of the household and its just my job to support his decisions.

I'm actually super glad someone brought this up. Does anyone have a good example of what this looks like in real life? Is it like, you two can't agree on which car to buy, so the wife just goes with what he wants? I find this concept puzzling sometimes. My parents weren't traditional Catholics, so maybe that's why I'm confused. When it came to making big family decisions, they usually just talked (or sometimes fought lol) and traded off on stuff. I'm sure this concept extends beyond disagreements, but I just don't really get it. Would anyone care to explain?

There's a really good thread on this topic here already,

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...364.0.html
(04-24-2009, 03:01 AM)Spooky Wrote:
Quote:If the husband has a legitimate reason for a specific car but the wife wants a different one for a superfluous reason then you sumbit to hubby.

9 times out of 10 it's usually the man who wants a car for 'superfluous reasons'. "But honey, that Corvette is suh-WEET! So what if it only holds 2 people?"

Ha.  Lies.

"Oh, what if we got a Mini?!!  They're so CUTE!  A Volkswagon beetle!  Maybe a Miata?  Wouldn't that be CUTE?"

Bah.
(04-24-2009, 09:36 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(04-24-2009, 03:01 AM)Spooky Wrote:

Ha.  Lies.

"Oh, what if we got a Mini?!!  They're so CUTE!  A Volkswagon beetle!  Maybe a Miata?  Wouldn't that be CUTE?"

Bah.

And fuel efficient!