Are midwives safe?
Are they? I've heard that it can be dangerous? I don't really know anything about the subject. I am just curious, because my wife and I are thinking about having our child via midwife.
Yes. The good ones. Just like obstetricians/hospitals in that respect.

Always double-check the back up obstetricians, too. You can get stuck with a real turkey if he's on call when the time comes.
Unless you have serious complications, they tend to be safer. A midwife is more likely to allow labor to progress naturally and not rush into interventions, which are potentially risky.
safer than hospitals IMO.

If I had it to do over again I would have GLADLY paid out of pocket for a midwife to not go through the trouble I had at a local hospital.
It depends on the midwife. I have had four homebirths and my last midwife was much better than the other two.
I would suggest checking with the local La Leche League moms. They tend to know who the best midwives are in the area, plus it is extremely beneficial to attend a series of meetings (used to be four in a series) before the baby is born.
  The midwifery model of care is perfectly safe for mom and baby and arguably safer than the medical model for a low risk healthy mom and baby. Most first world countries that have lower infant mortality rates than the US have midwives as the default caregivers for healthy pregnant women, obstetricians are reserved for complicated pregnancies and births.
  There are different 'kinds' of midwives. Certified nurse midwives (CNM) are registered nurses with Master's degrees. They work in hospitals and in some states do birth center and homebirths. Certifed Professional Midwife (CPM) are women who go through a training program and sit for the NARM exam and fulfill other requirements-these midwives run birth centers and do homebirths. Lay midwife (LM) is a woman who has probably done some sort of internship and taken some classes but has no oversight from a certifying organization.

Like any profession there are bad midwives and good midwives and you need to be responsible and get references, ask about education, backup, contingency plans in an emergency, fees etc.....
i have had all my 4 live babies with midwives.  my best births have been with the CNM.  If your wife is healthy and baby is fine, then go for it!
There's no reason anyone should have to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a doctor to put out his hands and say, "it's a girl/boy!"
Childbirth is NOT a disease or sickness. It's natural.
But things can happen that are NOT natural/normal.  THAT would be my greatest concern in using a midwife.

Also, not everything you see a doctor for is disease/sickness.  Women see a doctor yearly to make sure they're HEALTHY.  Same with the dentist.
(04-23-2009, 12:40 AM)JesusFreak84 Wrote: But things can happen that are NOT natural/normal.  THAT would be my greatest concern in using a midwife.

Also, not everything you see a doctor for is disease/sickness.  Women see a doctor yearly to make sure they're HEALTHY.  Same with the dentist.

::)  Midwives are trained to handle basic complications, and to know when they require the assistance of  a surgeon.  An obstetrician is first and foremost a surgeon, which is why the US has a c-section rate of almost 30%.  Also most obstetricians do not believe that birth is usually a healthy process and they actually encourage practices that lead to complications (laboring lying down on one's back, epidurals, etc)