Garabandal visionary dies
(04-22-2009, 07:28 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Did the seers get any kind of monetary compensation or other benefits or did they suffer as a result of the visions?

None of them got anything of any significance.  The odd trip to Rome perhaps shortly after the visions ended - paid for by a benefactor.  They all live pretty normal, modest and reserved lives now.  The odd thing is that almost nobody in the Garabandal movement and none of the seers is a Tridentine Rite attending Catholic.  And most Trads I know probably disbelieve in the events of Garabandal with the notable exception of Bishop Richard Williamson who firmly believes in them and wrote about them even very recently.

Mari-Loli suffered with Lupus and Fibrosis for the better part of 20 years I think.  She was seriously ill for a VERY long time.  I believe that Our Lady told her in 1966 that she would suffer for the sins of Cardinals and Bishops.
(04-22-2009, 07:30 PM)ggreg Wrote: If they had walked fast forwards up those hills would you believe the apparition was from God or would you simply conclude that there was not enough evidence of supernaturality because peasant mountain girls might well by fit enough to sprint up the mountains.  At least by doing this backwards the good willed can at least agree that it is not a human fraud or delusion.

I'm yet to meet a person who is against Garabandal that understands it in any depth and has read the major published literature on it.  Until you've at least read the three part book, She went in Haste to the Mountain (an early publication) you really cannot credibly comment.  There is an enormous amount of internet regurgitated rubbish spewed up on this site and AQ everytime Garabandal comes up.   Read credible published sources not blog sites.

Case closed? http://www.ewtn.com/library/bishops/garaband.htm

That being the case, why did EWTN have Joey Lomangino on 4 times well after the date of that letter to discuss Garabandal?

Are EWTN not subject to the same obedience to the local bishops decision as the rest of the Church?

Why are they promoting on the TV channel what they are telling us on the website is a dodgy apparition?
(04-22-2009, 07:48 PM)ggreg Wrote: That being the case, why did EWTN have Joey Lomangino on 4 times well after the date of that letter to discuss Garabandal?

Are EWTN not subject to the same obedience to the local bishops decision as the rest of the Church?

Why are they promoting on the TV channel what they are telling us on the website is a dodgy apparition?

I meant to only post the letter. This is not about EWTN unless that letter is their fabrication. I know or care little about Garabandal. I am listening the Bishop in this case, which is the proper thing to do.
For those who are  concerned about the Bishops' pronouncements it is worth considering the following:http://www.garabandal.org/vigil/interview.shtml
(04-22-2009, 07:51 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(04-22-2009, 07:48 PM)ggreg Wrote: That being the case, why did EWTN have Joey Lomangino on 4 times well after the date of that letter to discuss Garabandal?

I meant to only post the letter. This is not about EWTN unless that letter is their fabrication. I know or care little about Garabandal. I am listening the Bishop in this case, which is the proper thing to do.
Yes, I saw him on that Mother Angelica Show, maybe about 13/14 years ago. I've also seen EWTN promote Medg. But not in a long while. They simply don't anymore. Every once in while there might be some sort of side mention on a rerun that slips in under their radar, so to speak, but other then that, they've stopped promoting unapproved apparitions entirely.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Which Bishops?  Let's face facts, none of us on this forum show universal deference, respect and obedience to all bishops at all times.  Just about every Novus Ordo Catholic would ignore much of what Bishop Williamson said and most of us would take what Cardinal Mahoney said with a bag of salt.  The big issue with the enquiry done at Garabandal was it was clearly a fix-up from the word go.  The only interviewed the people who were negative about the apparitions to arrive at their conclusion.  Read the book written at the time called The Villiage Speaks available free on the web.  The bishop cannot ignore all natural justice and legal procedure and then insist that his pronouncements is followed anymore than a Pope can squash the old mass at a whim.

Many priests, bishops and Cardinals are on the road to perdition.  Whoever appeared - they sure got that right.
(04-22-2009, 08:08 PM)EIRCOMNET Wrote: For those who are  concerned about the Bishops' pronouncements it is worth considering the following:http://www.garabandal.org/vigil/interview.shtml

More Orwellian doublespeak.  When will God rid us of these two-faced men so yes can mean "yes" and no "no".  Confusion piled upon confusion and zero unity.

What ever it wasn't it was CLEARLY supernatural.  That can be seen from the cine-films made at the time.  There is footage of one of the seers leaning backwards at an impossible angle for a person to kiss the Crucifix she is holding.  I defy you to watch it and no conclude that she is defying gravity.  Either the Devil or God, but to conclude there is not enough evidence of the supernatural is only something a person who refuses to believe in the supernatural could do.
tradmaverick Wrote:FRUITS: Conchita entered a convent but received a message that she should not become a nun. She is now married to a much older man, who was married before and had children from a former wife or wives.  Not one of her relatives went to her wedding.  

When someone brings up the personal life of a seer in order to discredit his or her experience (not YOU Tradmaverick - but the writer of said article), I feel compelled to bring up the case of Mariette Beco, the visionary of Banneux - an approved apparition. The following comes from a study of Marian Apparitions from Dayton University.

Quote: Mariette Beco, a somewhat uneducated girl, married a restaurant owner. She had conjugal difficulties from which she suffered a great deal.  She left her husband, and for a long time lived with a handicapped person in irregular cohabitation.  Mariette cared for him with much devotion until his death.  She practiced her religion very little, and violently refused to respond to enquirers.  Yet sometimes she would go in secret to pray at the place of the apparitions.

This is what the same study has to say about the seers of Garabandal:

Quote: Four successive bishops of Santander have taken a stand against the supernatural character of Garabandal.  The seers, submitted to prolonged interrogations, have retracted themselves under heavy pressures.   Nevertheless, Jacinta reaffirmed the reality of the apparitions to Bishop del Val, in a letter of March, 1971.  Today, the seers have lost their evidence and almost the remembrance of these extraordinary states.  Conchita and Mari-Loli said independently from each other:  "It is as if that had been a dream, and as if all that had happened to another person."  Nowadays, prayer groups gather in the homes of the seers, but without apparitions or any relationship with Garabandal.  Three of the four seers are married and living in America; they remain pious and radiant: Conchita, the eldest, has three daughters and one son.  Jacinta has no children.  Mari-Loli has a boy and a girl (the latter was born April 28, 1980).  Only Maria Cruz, who lives in Aviles (Asturias), has continued to deny the apparitions since January 1963 (except for some answers given in particular cases, especially to correct an error of her mother).  Conchita seems to have no doubt about a miracle announced as yet to come and about her duty to make known the date to the world eight days in advance.

It must be remembered that Joan of Arc recanted under torture - before she recanted her recant. I believe it is very possible these young girls were pressured beyond their tolerance level, to the point that now some of them doubt their own experiences.

- Lisa
Moreover Our Lady told them at the time, that the time would come when they would deny what they had seen?  I've seen this documented in the earliest Garabandal publications.

Confusion defines our modern age.  Why not these seers also?  Are they living in a parallel world?