Pope "Refrains" from Visiting Gaza
(04-22-2009, 05:10 PM)tucherb Wrote: I'm not so sure what is so inaccurate  in this article. the Pope is Not going to Gaza
a quick check here  http://www.holyland-pilgrimage.org/?categoryId=37175  suggests he wont be visiting Gaza Strip

Schedule of the Papal Visit to the Holy Land

Monday, 11 May, 2009: Arrival and Official Welcome

* Arrival at Ben-Gurion International Airport (from Jordan). Official welcoming ceremony headed by President Shimon Peres
    * Official welcoming ceremony and meeting with President Shimon Peres
    * Visit Yad Vashem, the Holocaust Martyrs' and Heroes' Memorial

Tuesday, 12 May, 2009: Jerusalem and Mass at Kidron Valley

* Visit the Temple Mount and meet with the Grand Mufti
    * Visit the Western Wall accompanied by the Chief Rabbis of Israel
    * Visit the Chief Rabbis at the Heichal Shlomo Synagogue
    * Visit Mount Zion and the Coenaculum (the site of the Last Supper). Celebration of the Eucharist
    * Visit Gethsemane Church and a solemn afternoon Mass at the Kidron Valley

Wednesday, 13 May, 2009: Visit Bethlehem

* Celebration of Mass at Manger Square

Thursday, 14 May, 2009: Visit Nazareth

* Public morning Mass at Precipice Mountain
    * Visit the Basilica of the Annunciation

Friday, 15 May, 2009: Departure

* Visit the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in the Old City of Jerusalem
    * Official farewell and ceremony at Ben-Gurion International Airport, including speeches by President Shimon Peres and Pope Benedict XVI

Upon close examination of this schedule, one cannot argue that his visit is purely a religious pilgrimage.  Otherwise, he would not be visiting Jewish and Muslim holy sites, as well as the Holocaust memorial.  This is certainly a diplomatic visit, which makes his refraining from visiting Palestinian areas, such as the West Bank and Gaza, a glaring omission.  What is also noteworthy is that he won't be visiting those areas containing the highest concentrations of Christians, i.e. among the Palestinians.

I love this pope, and I always try to defend him and give him the benefit of the doubt, but I am ashamed of his decision to keep the people of Gaza at arm's length.
It seems all very ecumenical to me lots of meetings with Rabbis and terrorists but some of the places he will be visiting are gonna be cool. Celebrating Mass where the last supper was held that will be awesome to watch.
(04-22-2009, 08:59 PM)Texican Wrote:
(04-22-2009, 06:08 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(04-22-2009, 06:02 PM)tucherb Wrote: "This is a terror supporter and warmonger that acts against the national interests of the state in which he serves as mayor, and I call on the Holy See to abstain from meeting with him," Misezhnikov said.

Um, is this person Israeli or not? It is hard to tell.
Are you asking about the mayor, or Misezhnikov?

The mayor.
the mayor is Palestinian

Re-phrase:  Israeli-Arab
(04-22-2009, 10:57 PM)Texican Wrote: the mayor is Palestinian

Re-phrase:  Israeli-Arab

I know, but the description given could have gone either way. After their (Israeli) attacks in Gaza, I've become very critical of Israel. The past is one thing, which I would be willing to let slide, but that shows nothing has changed.
(04-22-2009, 11:14 PM)Rosarium Wrote: I know, but the description given could have gone either way. After their (Israeli) attacks in Gaza, I've become very critical of Israel. The past is one thing, which I would be willing to let slide, but that shows nothing has changed.

I see your point.  That article wasn't very clear, but I had heard about it, elsewhere.

No, nothing has changed, nor will it change, in the near future.  The arabs will rattle the cage, and the bear will reach out and maul them- it's a vicious cycle.
(04-22-2009, 09:56 PM)rbjmartin Wrote:
(04-22-2009, 05:10 PM)tucherb Wrote: I'm not so sure what is so inaccurate  in this article. the Pope is Not going to Gaza
a quick check here  http://www.holyland-pilgrimage.org/?categoryId=37175  suggests he wont be visiting Gaza Strip

* Arrival at Ben-Gurion International Airport (from Jordan). Official welcoming ceremony headed by President Shimon Peres

* Visit Mount Zion and the Coenaculum (the site of the Last Supper). Celebration of the Eucharist

* Official farewell and ceremony at Ben-Gurion International Airport, including speeches by President Shimon Peres and Pope Benedict XVI

Upon close examination of this schedule, one cannot argue that his visit is purely a religious pilgrimage.  Otherwise, he would not be visiting Jewish and Muslim holy sites, as well as the Holocaust memorial.  This is certainly a diplomatic visit, which makes his refraining from visiting Palestinian areas, such as the West Bank and Gaza, a glaring omission.  What is also noteworthy is that he won't be visiting those areas containing the highest concentrations of Christians, i.e. among the Palestinians.

I love this pope, and I always try to defend him and give him the benefit of the doubt, but I am ashamed of his decision to keep the people of Gaza at arm's length.

Bethlehem and Nazareth I believe are in the West Bank are they not? I'm pretty sure they are, which also includes the Franciscan Foundation for the Holy Land.
(04-23-2009, 02:34 AM)Mac_Giolla_Bhrighde Wrote:
(04-22-2009, 09:56 PM)rbjmartin Wrote:

Bethlehem and Nazareth I believe are in the West Bank are they not? I'm pretty sure they are, which also includes the Franciscan Foundation for the Holy Land.

Yes, they are in the West Bank.  My mistake.

But another thought regarding this trip came to mind.  It does not appear that there is any sort of missionary purpose to this trip.  Shouldn't this be one of the primary functions of the successor of Peter?  Also, the promotion of works of mercy would be in order, and there is no greater place in the region in need of corporal works of mercy than Gaza.  The pope should be visiting the many Catholic hospitals in Gaza, supporting the Christian community there, and leading the poor, hungry, and oppressed infidels there to Christ.
(04-23-2009, 12:29 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: But another thought regarding this trip came to mind.  It does not appear that there is any sort of missionary purpose to this trip.  Shouldn't this be one of the primary functions of the successor of Peter?  Also, the promotion of works of mercy would be in order, and there is no greater place in the region in need of corporal works of mercy than Gaza.  The pope should be visiting the many Catholic hospitals in Gaza, supporting the Christian community there, and leading the poor, hungry, and oppressed infidels there to Christ.

I'm sure he'll take your suggestions under advisement.
http://www.maannews.net/en/index.php?opr=ShowDetails&ID=37353

Date: 25 / 04 / 2009  Time:  09:30
تكبير الخط تصغير الخط
[Ma'anImages]
Ramallah – Ma’an – Preparations for Pope Benedict XVI to visit Aida Refugee Camp will move forward despite Israeli attempts to interfere in the planning, officials from the Palestinian Authority said Friday.

The PA issued a statement late Friday night echoing concerns over an Israel attempting to shield the pope and the international community from seeing the oppressive and discriminatory practices meted out on the Palestinians.

Israeli troops stormed Aida camp Wednesday and raided a meeting of the preparatory committee for the Papal visit. Committee members were harassed and questioned then informed that because the camp is in Area C - i.e. under Israeli civil and military control - that organizers must get a special permit to hold celebrations for the pope.

The PA brushed aside the Israeli threat, saying preparations would continue unchanged.

Condemnations came from Bethlehem and Palestinian Legislative Council members immediately following the incident, and the PA made the official decision to stay the course after meetings during the weekend.

The PA also expressed concern over Israel’s decision to prevent the Christian community in Gaza from leaving the besieged strip to travel to Bethlehem and visit the Holy Father. The West Bank government said it would hold Israel responsible for any roadblocks in the execution of the pope’s visit.