Holy Food
:laughing: that is a pretty bad picture of it... though really it's not the most attractive of desserts anyway. It does taste delicious though and has been traditional here for ages. Though I like the thought of coming up with new ideas, your "St Lawrence grilled sandwiches" sound brilliant (if a little morbid...)

So far as approximating 'Qaghaq tal-Ghasel' into English, it would sound something like 'Aa-ka tal Aasel'. But with several glottal stops. 'Treacle Rings' (the name under which tourists buy them) is less authentic, but a lot easier to say!
I make a barbeque sauce that I call my "St. Lawrence Sauce".  It's good, but it takes a long time to make correctly.
Please give me your recipe, Joe. The old man and I dig a good barbecue.
I showed my husband this thread . . .  He and my daughter asked if communion donuts were possible!  Wow . . .  Pray for them both; they need it!  ???
Communion dounts?!!

Not since Paul VI.
I read up about different traditions of Epiphany cakes from different countries.  What they have in common is that something is that they are in the shape of a crown and something such as a figuring of the Christ child or other objects edible or not are baked in them.

What I have done the past few years to start our own family tradition is make a caramel cake in a bundt pan and put an almond for the "lucky" person to find.  My little girls just love Epiphany cake.
I always serve Sloppy St. Joseph's instead of Sloppy Joes.  It was a joke we started in grade school and I just love it.
How about making a brunch for St. Benedict and serve Eggs Benedict?
There's another traditional type of food we call them 'zeppoli'. They get served one day of the year on the feast of St Joseph. Here's a link to the Italian version: http://www.glamour.demon.co.uk/recipes/23.htm the Maltese version is filled with sweet ricotta rather than cream/cherries.

(04-29-2009, 03:35 PM)Melita Wrote: There's another traditional type of food we call them 'zeppoli'. They get served one day of the year on the feast of St Joseph. Here's a link to the Italian version: http://www.glamour.demon.co.uk/recipes/23.htm the Maltese version is filled with sweet ricotta rather than cream/cherries.

Melita, thank you. We will be making these. This sounds goooood.