Catholic Wine List
What kind of Wine do you people recommend?
[Image: pipe.gif]

Jarrod

Personally, I am a huge fan of sherry - it is nutty, crisp, and complex without that acrid taste that a lot of wines have, it comes in elegant little glasses, and matches my favorite Spanish cuisine.  Sherry's not just for old ladies anymore!

My favorites, ranged from lightest to darkest:

Tio Pepe (Fino) - this is the epitome of class - serve this svelte little number as an apertif, or with anything really!  It is quite versatile and is always refreshing, like an ocean breeze.

La Gitana (Manzanilla) - this is fantastically good, and has a beautiful gypsy woman on the bottle.   Best drunk with seafood - like garlic shrimps - this tastes like the sea and fresh moss with herby, almondy overtones.

Napoleon (Amontillado) - another cool bottle, with the conqueror himself pictured on a yellow background.  This is rich and dark, extremely nutty and carmelly - picture it with salty pork tapas or roasted tomatoes.  See Edgar Poe's Cask of Amontillado to get an idea of the dangerous allure of this sherry!   

I like all of these cold, but I've found that the lighter ones *need* to be cold whereas chilling is more optional with the darker ones.  The darker ones tend to be sweeter, more like a port, and there are also cream sherries that are very sweet (too sweet for me!)

The types I listed are not cheap, but not *terribly* expensive either.  Somewhere between 10-20$ a bottle (and twice as strong as regular wine!).  Perfect for special occassions.
"Svelte little number"??? LOL LOL  You crack me up. That's hilarious! Write some ad copy somewhere, Bee!
Thanks to Historienne, I've had the Napoleon, and it IS nutty -- freakily so. I took a sip, swallowed, and all of a sudden, a second or two later, there's an explosion of nuttiness in the mouth. I loooooved that stuff.

Historienne's also right about the "elegant little glasses." I love those, too. I also like those teeny tiny glasses used for "cordials" -- too cool!

Must add: Whatever happened to cordials (or liqueurs, if you prefer) anyway? I love the idea of having cordials and coffee after a meal. They need to make a comeback!
Well, first thing I'd recommend is try any local wines you may have. Dunno where you live, but there's a good chance you'll have some local wineries within a couple hour's drive.

Store-bought: get on the mailing list of any local liquor store. Some of them do wine tastings.  Great chance to try some new things.

Get a copy of the book WINE FOR DUMMIES.  I usually steer away from books that call me names, but in this case I'll make an exception. EXCELLENT book.

Now for the wines.

Moscato d' Asti.  Same grape that Asti Spumante is made from, but not nearly as insipidly sweet.  Lightly bubbly.  A sweet, fun wine.

Beaujolais.  Nice red. Usually released in the fall, and usually a special release.  Easy drinking red, good with just about anything.

Pol Roger Champagne.  ONLY French champagne can be called champagne.  If it's made anywhere other than the Champagne region of France, it AIN'T champagne.  [Image: censored.gif][Image: nono.gif]    (Pet peeve of mine)  Pol Roger was Winston Churchill's favorite.  Lovely stuff.

Domaine St. Hilaire sparkling wine.  French sparkler, but not champagne.  Good imposter though. Good stuff, fairly inexpensive.

Above all, go out and try it. Only way to learn.  Fun too!!!!
Mmmmmm! I love sparkling wines and champagne! I don't know anything about either, but I love 'em. I like them on the sweet side, like Asti Spumante... I only had The Expensive Real Deal (Dom Perignon) once, when I was married to my first husband, R.I.P., and I liked some of the more sugary sparkling wines that I've had better.
I love merlot with a big fat rare steak on the side.

Has anyone ever tried Cold Duck? It is a Thanksgiving tradition in my family. My parents (RIP+) always had it, and once the shindig landed in my lap, one of my siblings always brings a few bottles. My sister came up from St. Louis one year and brought it with her. She said they laughed at her in the liquor store. [Image: laff.gif] 
Pick up a copy of CHAMPAGNE FOR DUMMIES.  That's where it all started for me.  Try Moet & CHandon Demi Sec.   MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. 

VoxClamantis Wrote:Mmmmmm! I love sparkling wines and champagne! I don't know anything about either, but I love 'em. I like them on the sweet side, like Asti Spumante... I only had The Expensive Real Deal (Dom Perignon) once, when I was married to my first husband, R.I.P., and I liked some of the more sugary sparkling wines that I've had better.