How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending?
(04-30-2009, 11:04 PM)Baskerville Wrote: I am wondering what you all think. Lately I have been getting really bad panic attacks and I cant drive all the way across town without getting one. So I have to attend the nearest Mass to me because I cant drive until I get this taken care of with therapy. Anyway the nearest Mass is in a new round Church with no stained glass no statues one eastern style Icon and an avant garde modern art Crucifix. The Priest is horrible he says things that border on heresy has publicly attacked the Pope for the Motu Proprio and ad libs the Mass and wont elevate or genuflect at the sacred host or Chalice.
My Question until I get my problem taken care of should I go to this hippie Mass or just skip it until I can get back to the SSPX and my reverent NO Church? Any thoughts at all would be helpful.

To date, have not  walked out, though parents have in past.........always a first time.....
Prayers for you, obviously! Have you tried contacting either the SSPX priest or the reverent NO priest to see if they can arrange a ride for you? Back when I couldn't drive, my pastor kindly found someone to help me out; it's worth a try!
(04-30-2009, 11:04 PM)Baskerville Wrote: I am wondering what you all think. Lately I have been getting really bad panic attacks and I cant drive all the way across town without getting one. So I have to attend the nearest Mass to me because I cant drive until I get this taken care of with therapy. Anyway the nearest Mass is in a new round Church with no stained glass no statues one eastern style Icon and an avant garde modern art Crucifix. The Priest is horrible he says things that border on heresy has publicly attacked the Pope for the Motu Proprio and ad libs the Mass and wont elevate or genuflect at the sacred host or Chalice.
My Question until I get my problem taken care of should I go to this hippie Mass or just skip it until I can get back to the SSPX and my reverent NO Church? Any thoughts at all would be helpful.

Not knowing the extent of your panic attacks (nor the detail), is it possible for you to get a ride from someone, and then attend the good parishes?
If the priest is refusing the elevate the sacred host or chalice...there is a high chance that he doesn't believe in the Real Presence, in which case the Mass he says would not be valid due to lack of proper intent.  In which case, it is no better than no "Mass" at all...in fact, it might be worse because it is misleading people into thinking that the are getting the grace they would if they were taking communion in a valid Mass.
(05-01-2009, 03:17 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: If the priest is refusing the elevate the sacred host or chalice...there is a high chance that he doesn't believe in the Real Presence

There isn't a high chance.  The only thing that can be said is he's a lousy priest who ignores the rubrics.
I'd say such a Mass is inappropriate to attend out of devotion (weekday Masses), but on Sunday an obligation is an obligation. If it's pretty bad though (and I know what that's like, I've seen some whoppers), maybe you can just sit in the back and pray a 15 decade Rosary- which usually takes 45 minutes to an hour, just enough to get through the Mass.
(05-01-2009, 04:58 PM)NonSumDignus Wrote: I'd say such a Mass is inappropriate to attend out of devotion (weekday Masses), but on Sunday an obligation is an obligation. If it's pretty bad though (and I know what that's like, I've seen some whoppers), maybe you can just sit in the back and pray a 15 decade Rosary- which usually takes 45 minutes to an hour, just enough to get through the Mass.

You know, that seems like a valid option, but I want to point something out just for the sake of argument.

One of the big points of the Novus Ordo Missae was to be inclusive with the laity.  It calls for people to respond and stuff.  For example, when I find that I have to be at a Novus Ordo, I do the responses.  Why? Because that's the rubrics, that's what we're supposed to do even though I hate it.  I hate TLM dialogue Masses, too.  But I say the black, do the red.

If we go to a Novus Ordo and sit there like lumps, it seems to me in many ways we are not fulfilling our obligation, really, and in some ways are no better than the priest who ignores the rubrics.

Something to think about at least.

(05-01-2009, 04:58 PM)NonSumDignus Wrote: I'd say such a Mass is inappropriate to attend out of devotion (weekday Masses), but on Sunday an obligation is an obligation. If it's pretty bad though (and I know what that's like, I've seen some whoppers), maybe you can just sit in the back and pray a 15 decade Rosary- which usually takes 45 minutes to an hour, just enough to get through the Mass.

This whole situation is so sad. It's a shame that upon approaching the communion rail at one of these churches, it is likely we are stepping on the Body of Christ which has been carelessly dropped onto the floor and never properly removed. You have to bring your umbrella just in case the "Eucaristic minister" decides to draw a supersoaker from his arsenal of religious weapons and soak the crowd with Holy Water. I can't even strike my breast during the Confiteor without distracting everyone from the Mass - I'd feel like standing up in the middle and saying: "What?! So I chastise myself with my own fist. What's it to you?!" as they stare, wide-eyed, at my display of Catholicism. I am most concerned about receiving the Body of Christ worthily while standing in line for Communion because I can't even look down to the floor without fear of sinning as I see more flesh than clothing of the girl in front of me.

Ok, so I'm being a little dramatic, but who ever thought that the ... Catholic Church ... would host such atrocities? If I had said this 100 years ago, I would have been laughed to scorn and labeled "heretic". Ok, so maybe things wouldn't be so different...  ;)
Thanks for the advice and prayers everyone. I think I will see if I can get a friend to take me to the other Mass he's a lukewarm Catholic but I might get him to go with me. The Mass I originaly mentioned is pretty bad the Priest says instead of "behold the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world" . "Behold Jesus who we recognize in the breaking of the bread and the drinking of the cup behold him who reconciles the poor how blessed are we to come to the lords supper. He also never mentions sacrifice at all[i][/i]. In the part of the Mass that goes "Pray bretheran that this our sacrifice" He say Pray sisters and Brothers that these our gifts etc." The whole thing is ad libbed. Back in my non Catholic days I have been to Anglican services that are more in line with the dogmas of real presence and sacrifice.
(05-01-2009, 04:57 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: If you have the time and stomach, you should probably write the Bishop as well.  Just don't sound like a nutjob when you're doing it.  EWTN can give you some suggestions on how and what to write if you decide to make the effort.  The bishop may not know and might fix it.  If he does know already or ignores your letter, it's on his head.  You did your part.

I thought about this Quis I went so far as to look up my dioceses web site. Want to guess what I found? This Priest Father X (and it is a very unique last name so there ain't two of them, the first name is also the same) is President of our diocese liturgy commision. This explains that for the 4th largest state Montana we have one approved TLM.  >:(