How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending?
(05-14-2009, 12:08 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: What about presider? What about cause and effect? If the change of the word (cause) results in a dangerous effect, wouldn't rationalization be wrong? If you get too involved in the specifics and technicalities, you can justify almost every evil. You have to step back and look at the effect that these technical interpretation can have on Christianity around the world.

presider == Rocket Launcher and Energy Sword

The change of the word didn't actually change. It is using the exact Latin term (well, without any Latin inflection). If they stray from the pool of existing appropriate terms, then we are back to a death match.

Priest has been used Middle English and is probably the best word for it and has been the English word for it and still is. Occasionally, other words will be used with the understanding it is referring to a priest (like celebrant in the missal). If, however, they supplant the word entirely (which, I don't think the Church will do), then I have a problem.

They can tap dance all they way and try to use as much variety as possible. Human antics and discomfort don't bother me. If the rubrics want to avoid the word "sacrifice" and try to emphasise the other aspects, that isn't a grave problem because they cannot change what it is. It makes it a half-arsed attempt and insulting and likely to cause others to become lukewarm or even heretics, but it is not a heresy by itself. It is like the Pope's errors in their private lives. They have them and they do not have good effects, but the Pope is still the Pope.

The hippies will pass in time. There is nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster.

Messages In This Thread
Re: How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? - by Historian - 05-14-2009, 12:19 PM