Cupcake SOS!!!
Wow, they're really pretty!  I will certainly try that - last year I did "decorate your own cupcakes" and it sure was easier than trying to do them all myself!!!

What I ended up doing was making vanilla ones with plain ole piped-on icing, and sprinkled some sugar flowers on top.  They were cute and the little monsters sucked them down in record time - nobody realized they were vegan.  They were nice and firm, too.  Right now I'm making two dozen more for her  "real" party tomorrow - I used this recipe, coincidentally from the same author who wrote that vegan cupcake book

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/magazi...t-001.html

The first batch is done, and they're a little bland, probably because I had to sub whole wheat flour.  I am putting monkey heads from the craft store on top, and that's it!  Next time I'll do some cupcake rehearsals in advance of the big day.  Do you have her Vegan Vengeance?  It's one of my favorite cookbooks,
No, I don't have her VWAV book but I do have the Veganomicon.  Great book! 

ETA:  Yeah, that's pretty much the recipe in the book.  I used chocolate soy milk (steeped with Earl Grey tea, per my preference), added chocolate and almond extracts and a splash of Grand Marnier.  I also added a bit more oil to keep them from drying out.  They are moist, chocolatey and plain fabulous.  I doubled the recipe and tried it as a cake.  Best chocolate cake I've made from scratch, ever.  (I've always been a boxed-mix kinda gal).  Topped it w/a vegan ganache and voila, a cake gone in two days.  No complaints from non-vegans.
[Image: n1383829262_401030_6313343.jpg]
(05-22-2009, 11:26 PM)nicollette Wrote: No, I don't have her VWAV book but I do have the Veganomicon.  Great book! 

ETA:  Yeah, that's pretty much the recipe in the book.  I used chocolate soy milk (steeped with Earl Grey tea, per my preference), added chocolate and almond extracts and a splash of Grand Marnier.  I also added a bit more oil to keep them from drying out.  They are moist, chocolatey and plain fabulous.  I doubled the recipe and tried it as a cake.  Best chocolate cake I've made from scratch, ever.  (I've always been a boxed-mix kinda gal).  Topped it w/a vegan ganache and voila, a cake gone in two days.  No complaints from non-vegans.
[Image: n1383829262_401030_6313343.jpg]

I want some... :( :( :(
(05-23-2009, 10:57 AM)DeiMateralma Wrote: I want some... :( :( :(

Me, too.   :cake: :cake: :cake:
(05-22-2009, 01:55 PM)nicollette Wrote: I realize that this is a little late but Wilton's fondant is vegan as is their prepared buttercream frosting (it uses margerine I believe). The fondant is very easy to work, it takes on color very nicey and is easy to shape.  You could use cookie cutters to come up with the design asked for.  Wed. was my youngest child's first birthday and we had some friends come over for a cupcake decorating party.  We made 3 dozen vegan cupcakes (used the chocolate and vanilla recipes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World), slapped some vegan buttercream made with Earthbalance and Powdered sugar on top and set them out on a table for people to add fondant or anything else they wanted to the cupcakes.  Our friends are non-vegan and tend to give us a hard time (in good fun) about it but they were actually very impressed that everything they used and ate was vegan. 

You can make almost anything:

[Image: 4544_1156025945852_1383829262_412677_7781141_n.jpg]

[Image: inside.jpg]