The Mass of 1965
(05-06-2009, 09:30 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(05-06-2009, 09:27 AM)glgas Wrote:
(05-06-2009, 02:06 AM)Baskerville Wrote: Credo buddy if it was up to me we would return everything to 1400 ad. Your right Pius X shouldnt be given a pass. I think everything should have been left as it was.

So no books, no internet, flies and mosquitoes everywhere, high child and birth mortality etc.

If the Liturgy is living, then it has to be changed with the changes in the world.

Somebody loses a fish point.

And I gave him back a fish point. Glgas does not deserve to lose any points for his answer. The liturgy is living. I'm guessing Glgas was not referring to m0dernist changes in the liturgy itself or silly pop culture novelties. I believe he's referring to those who think we shouldn't even have electric lights in the church - or fans or air  conditioning, etc.. But even if he's referring to the liturgy itself, well, there were many revisions throughout the centuries.

In fact, if you were to sit down at a table with St. Augustine, St. Ambrose and the early Church Fathers - and if you were to start talking about the "Prayer of the Faithful" and "the Responsorial Psalms" and "the Sign of Peace" -- they would know exactly what you were talking about .. That was their Mass! Now ........ why those items were gradually phased out (over the course of many centuries) and whether or not they should have been restored ( overnight) is totally debatable. But to say the liturgy can't change is just not true.

- Lisa
(05-06-2009, 09:27 AM)glgas Wrote:
(05-06-2009, 02:06 AM)Baskerville Wrote: Credo buddy if it was up to me we would return everything to 1400 ad. Your right Pius X shouldnt be given a pass. I think everything should have been left as it was.

So no books, no internet, flies and mosquitoes everywhere, high child and birth mortality etc.

If the Liturgy is living, then it has to be changed with the changes in the world.
I thought it was pretty obvious that I meant the liturgy since that is what the thread is about. Though the middle ages were not as bad as some make them out to be.
(05-06-2009, 09:27 AM)glgas Wrote: [quote='Baskerville' pid='362604' dateline='1241589979']

Cause thats worked out soooo good now. Pius the V said the Mass is to stay the way it, is no major deviations and that is exactly what has happened. Organic development is one thing but a complete revisioning like the Mass of 69/70 is something altogether different.