Holding to Tradition-way to honor God and avoid, possibly, germs too!!
Was listening to the news this weekend with the fear mongering of swine flu.Several news reports noted the fear is in churches too, they made a special report just on how the Catholic Churches in Raleigh were taking precautions with the common cup and the Grope of Peace.Some reports were more detailed how they Eucharistic ministers were having to wash hands,etc.

Most on report, not surprising, were simpleton looking and syrupy.

Here's a good health practice:

1.Eucharist handled by one person only, the priest,persona Christi
2. No "common cup". You get both either in the blood or host…you can return to Tradition by allowing the priest only to handle species.Byzantines have both in chalice and spoon it out on tongue..nicely eliminating need for man-or often women-handling……
3. Grope of peace…..no need to disrupt Mass being grabbing at each other, esp when it has devolved to priest flying off altar and going up down isles, people, same thing….it is man focused, not eyes front on Christ….led in front by priest….
4. Washing, the priest cleanses hands prior to Mass, the handling is largely done of things by altar acolytes…….he also does the cleansing o nthe altar…

THE LAVABO
Lava is Latin for for wash or bathe. In the early days of the church the priest would clean his hands after being brought gifts of oil, food and other goods. In the past it has been symbolic of Pilate washing his hands of Jesus' blood.
The priest then begins to recite Psalm 26 with "I shall wash" while the server pours water from a cruet over his fingers. He then prays the Gloria Patria and moves to the center of the altar and recites the seventh offertory prayer, in which he asks the Holy Trinity to accept our sacrifice in commemoration of our Lord's passion and resurrection and in remembrance of our Blessed Virgin Mother and the saints.

•Going to the Epistle side, the priest washes his fingers and says:                       

P:  Lavabo inter innocentes      P:  I will wash my hands among

manus meas:  et circumdabo        the innocent,  and will

altare tuum Domine.  Ut audiam    compass Thine altar,  O Lord. 

vocem laudis:  et enarrem        That I may hear the voice of

universa mirabilia tua.          praise,  and tell of all Thy

Domine dilexi decorem domus      wondrous works.  I have loved, 

tuae,  et locum habitationis      O Lord, the beauty of Thy

gloriae tuae.  Ne perdas cum      house,  and the place where

impiis Deus animam meam:  et      Thy glory dwelleth.  Take not

cum viris sanguinum vitam        away my soul,  O God,  with

meam.  In quorum manibus          the wicked;  nor my life with

iniquitates sunt:  dextera        men of blood.  In whose hands

eorum repleta est muneribus.      are iniquities:  their right

Ego autem in innocentia mea      hand is filled with gifts. 

ingressus sum:  redime me,  et    But as for me,  I have walked

miserere mei.  Pes meus stetit    in my innocence;  redeem me, 

in directo:  in ecclesiis        and have mercy on me.  My foot

benedicam te Domine.  Gloria,    hath stood in the right way; 

etc.                              in the churches I will bless

Thee,  O Lord. 

Glory be to

the Father, and to the Son, 

and to the Holy Ghost.  As it

was in the beginning,  is now, 

and ever shall be;  world

without end. Amen

So, returning to Tradition, will not only offer a Mass in true worship of Christ, but also, would cut down on germs!.

2 Thessalonians 2 :14 Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle

Quote:3. Grope of peace…..no need to disrupt Mass being grabbing at each other, esp when it has devolved to priest flying off altar and going up down isles, people, same thing….it is man focused, not eyes front on Christ….led in front by priest…

How about priests who make the peace sign during the Sign/Grope of Peace?
Oh, come on. Enough with the old out-dated theory of "germs" being evil or bad. God created everything that He created good. This is our Catholic Faith. It is us who make bacterial organisms bad for ourselves. Pasteur is even quoted as saying on his deathbed, "[Claude] Bernard was right. the germ is nothing, the terrain is everything". This I believe should be taken with a two-fold meaning: (1) the terrain of the blood stream, which is vital for fighting disease; and (2) the terrain of our earth's soil, which must have the mineral nutrition if our blood is to have it also.
It is a valid question though.

I always received both the Body (Host) and Blood (Cup) at Communion. I am not at this point yet, but if it looks like there were a spread of any dangerous disease at my parish, is it okay to receive only the Body (Host) until the disease issue cleared up?

Also, as one who normally goes to face-to-face Confession (at my parish, the Confessionals are designed so that one side is face-to-face and the other side has a screen/partition so it is the individual's choice), would it be okay to do behind-the-screen Confession if: A) I start to get sick (so as to minimize the risk of getting the Priest sick) or B) The Priest looks ill.

EDIT: If I did behind-the-screen Confession, I would still tell Priest who I am. They all know me because I go to Confession so much and tend to be Scrupulous in my Confessions (i.e. details, etc.).
(05-05-2009, 03:22 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I always received both the Body (Host) and Blood (Cup) at Communion. I am not at this point yet, but if it looks like there were a spread of any dangerous disease at my parish, is it okay to receive only the Body (Host) until the disease issue cleared up?

Yes.  Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is wholly present, body, blood, soul and divinity in both species.  In this way, to receive him in the host is to receive his precious blood.
(05-05-2009, 03:25 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(05-05-2009, 03:22 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I always received both the Body (Host) and Blood (Cup) at Communion. I am not at this point yet, but if it looks like there were a spread of any dangerous disease at my parish, is it okay to receive only the Body (Host) until the disease issue cleared up?

Yes.  Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is wholly present, body, blood, soul and divinity in both species.  In this way, to receive him in the host is to receive his precious blood.

Well, you see what the Novus Ordo religion does? People can get confused even on such basic facts of the Holy Catholic Faith as the one you explained to nsper7. It was precisely because of Utraquism that the Church started holding the Precious Blood from the laity. It seems, though, that Utraquism is back en force (along with so many other heresies).
(05-05-2009, 06:46 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

Well, you see what the Novus Ordo religion does? People can get confused even on such basic facts of the Holy Catholic Faith as the one you explained to nsper7. It was precisely because of Utraquism that the Church started holding the Precious Blood from the laity. It seems, though, that Utraquism is back en force (along with so many other heresies).

I know that, doctrinally, the Body and Blood are present in either species. Should we allow the Swine Flu or anything else like that to alter our spiritual actions?
(05-05-2009, 10:55 PM)nsper7 Wrote:

I know that, doctrinally, the Body and Blood are present in either species. Should we allow the Swine Flu or anything else like that to alter our spiritual actions?

It's not just "doctrinally". The Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ are "really", "truly" and "substantially" present in both eucharistic species.

As for your question, I'm afraid I didn't quite get it, nsper7. If there is some sort of epidemic that justifies withholding Holy Communion from the laity, then it can be done so. However, the concern for the soul always comes first than the concern for the body. Receiving the Host is the normative way for the laity to receive Holy Communion in the western Church and you would be receiving the Host alone if you were attending the TLM.

The fact that you have expressed concern and doubts about receiving "only" the Body, shows how dangerous and prone to heresy the Novus Ordo religion really is.
(05-05-2009, 11:16 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(05-05-2009, 10:55 PM)nsper7 Wrote:

It's not just "doctrinally". The Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ are "really", "truly" and "substantially" present in both eucharistic species.

As for your question, I'm afraid I didn't quite get it, nsper7. If there is some sort of epidemic that justifies withholding Holy Communion from the laity, then it can be done so. However, the concern for the soul always comes first than the concern for the body. Receiving the Host is the normative way for the laity to receive Holy Communion in the western Church and you would be receiving the Host alone if you were attending the TLM.

The fact that you have expressed concern and doubts about receiving "only" the Body, shows how dangerous and prone to heresy the Novus Ordo religion really is.

I guess I was being a little humorous in a straw mannish sort of way (sorry).

I prefer to receive under both species, but I know that it is acceptable/possible to receive under only one.
(05-05-2009, 06:46 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Well, you see what the Novus Ordo religion does? People can get confused even on such basic facts of the Holy Catholic Faith as the one you explained to nsper7. It was precisely because of Utraquism that the Church started holding the Precious Blood from the laity. It seems, though, that Utraquism is back en force (along with so many other heresies).

Actually, it is the other way around. Utraquism developed after Communion in one kind only had been in use for some time. And even so, the laity received Communion only a few times a year; certainly not every Sunday.

To add to the error of Utraquism, it's also an error to believe that the laity "need" to receive Communion at all, however beneficial it may be.