Fast Food Is Protestant?
I hate cell phones too. I resisted texting until only this year. I was forced to do it only because people were texting me with important info and I had to respond. I still do it like an old woman and only when I have to. I only got a cell phone because my mother insisted and thought if I didn't have one my car would break down and I would be forever lost to her.  ::)
We did not have T.V. growing up either. We always had a monitor with a VCR though, so our watching was limited. We still don't have any channels though. But I do have a decent amount of shows that I follow, but I do it when I want to on my computer or rent a season at blockbuster. I despise commericals and don't want to be a slave to the station's programming time slots.

The only entertainment related technology I must have is my ipod-I love my music. 
(05-23-2009, 06:08 PM)didishroom Wrote: I hate cell phones too. I resisted texting until only this year. I was forced to do it only because people were texting me with important info and I had to respond. I still do it like an old woman and only when I have to. I only got a cell phone because my mother insisted and thought if I didn't have one my car would break down and I would be forever lost to her.  ::)
We did not have T.V. growing up either. We always had a monitor with a VCR though, so our watching was limited. We still don't have any channels though. But I do have a decent amount of shows that I follow, but I do it when I want to on my computer or rent a season at blockbuster. I despise commericals and don't want to be a slave to the station's programming time slots.

The only entertainment related technology I must have is my ipod-I love my music. 

I would not know how to text,,even at the threat of death...

I also do not like cell phones, except in emergency. Someone who forgets tot turn theirs off during mass
Is the understudy to the village idiot.
Cell phones are my link to the world!  Voice, e-mail, internet, and messaging, along with a bunch of different applications.

You don't always have to be reachable, though.  You can press the little OFF button, and voilà, you disappear!
(05-23-2009, 08:50 PM)Texican Wrote: Cell phones are my link to the world!  Voice, e-mail, internet, and messaging, along with a bunch of different applications.

You don't always have to be reachable, though.  You can press the little OFF button, and voilà, you disappear!

The problem, though, is that people tend to get p-o'ed when you do this...sure, it's nice for a while, while the phone is off, but after you turn it back on...a flood of voicemails and texts chastizing you for not answering the phone. It's barely worth it to turn the phone off because the effects of doing so are worse than just leaving the durned thing on.
Quote:I only got a cell phone because my mother insisted and thought if I didn't have one my car would break down and I would be forever lost to her.  Roll Eyes

My car not starting in a parking lot in the middle of February with a baby and a 5 year old, without a payphone to be seen is what prompted me to get a cell phone.  I just have one of those pre-pay Tracfone things nothing fancy, no internet or camera... and I like texting now because it's cheaper than an actual phone call.
(05-14-2009, 01:11 AM)libby Wrote:
(05-09-2009, 06:30 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Anyone seen Babette's Feast? :)

- Lisa

oh, yes.

:asianbow:

I loooooooooooove Babette's Feast! It's awesome!!!
(05-14-2009, 12:48 AM)tflinn Wrote: Actually, buffets are protestant.  There is everything you could possibly want and you can pick and choose as you please.
:laughing:
(05-24-2009, 01:00 AM)AgnusDei1989 Wrote:
(05-14-2009, 01:11 AM)libby Wrote:
(05-09-2009, 06:30 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Anyone seen Babette's Feast? :)

- Lisa

oh, yes.

:asianbow:

I loooooooooooove Babette's Feast! It's awesome!!!

isn't it?

what a great story..... and a great sacrifice.

And, man..... the food.

I'm assuming you've seen Like Water for Chocolate?

In Spanish?

sigh...... I can see that movie over and over.

oh, and [i]Big Night
?[/i]
(05-23-2009, 05:46 PM)IVSTINIVS Wrote:
(05-14-2009, 08:33 AM)Magnificat Wrote: My paternal family are all Yankee Protestants (except the ones we've converted!) and they scowl upon fast food and also expound about "the idiot box."   Yes, still.   I don't have cable, and they're so proud!  My one aunt had a box by the door where people were meant to put their cell phones whenever they arrived at her house.  I might reinstate that, it was a good idea. 

Even before I decided to convert to Catholicism I had this notion that the TV was almost inherently evil, ha...I haven't had television for years - when I visit someone who has it (which is everyone else in the civilized world) I find it to be a massive distraction. Not to mention all the imprudent stuff one is almost forced to be subjected to. I not especially prude, and I'm only 22 so it's not like I am nostalgic about the good ol' days, but seeing scantily-clad women in commercials or on virtually every mainline TV station's programming doesn't assist in me remaining chaste. To top it off, the shows on now should be embarrasing to us as a culture as well as our methods of advertising.

I'm also not fond of cell phones either, ha. (Maybe I was born on the wrong side of the century) I'd rather not be available 24/7 with everyone expecting you to always have your phone on you.

I'm with you on most of this.  I only got a cell a couple of years ago when my PT appointments ran so late people would worry.

However, I was the type to do EVERYTHING from scratch: mayonnaise, bagels, croissants.  Now that I'm doddering around I am grateful for fast food so I can has cheezburger.    :laughing:
Do you think the traditional family can be saved through good meals? I happen to think it's is a fact. You have the extended family and friends over for Sunday dinner once or twice a month, say grace together, eat, talk and the family stays united. It's really not so hard on if each person brings a part of the meal. But most of the time,  it's really up to a woman to orchestrate the whole deal. To set the table, to anticipate what all will be needed: the little things, like the lemon for someone's seltzer, who should sit where. God is in the details at such an event.

Really, it's women are responsible for the refinement of civilizations.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.