J.R.R. Tolkien's Newest Publication
Didishroom i believe this is the first time i have agreed with you. i respect tokien and all that but i found him to be so boring so wordy so so so so so dry. i could sip enough to quench the dryness i felt i hardly got through the first lotr.
i know im in a minority here. but really im no fan.
the movies did a great job thats for sure though a bit long.
(05-13-2009, 09:22 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Didishroom i believe this is the first time i have agreed with you. i respect tokien and all that but i found him to be so boring so wordy so so so so so dry. i could sip enough to quench the dryness i felt i hardly got through the first lotr.
i know im in a minority here. but really im no fan.
the movies did a great job thats for sure though a bit long.

I am the exact opposite.  I loved the books, but even though I enjoyed the movies, thought they did a bad job on translating to screen very critical elements of the book.

The two biggest that come to mind is that Aragorn doesn't really want to become king and has a deep angst about it.  Give me a break, existentialism in LOTR.  Crazy

Then that Faramir is tempted by the ring.  Oh, come on.  In the book, he was the "Wizard's pupil" and was tought not to be tempted by such things, and was not.  He had a true nobility that his brother did not have.

So glad they cut the scenes where Arwen helps fight with Aragorn at the Battle of Helm's Deep.  Only after the Tolkein fans cried out in outrage after they heard of it.

Here is to hoping that the Hobbit movie is not another bad tranlation, but the same writers are on it.  Ugh.
I just found these great illustrations for 'the Hobbit', by Tove Jansson.
(05-11-2009, 07:51 PM)didishroom Wrote: Umm don't hate me, but who here think he's overrated? The Hobbit is one of my favorite books but LOTR was soooooo boring. The movies did a fantastic job of extrapolating all the meat of the books. I admit Tolkien does have good stories but presents them in the driest way possible. Maybe I'm too spoiled by movies but I just can't get into his stuff. I quit halfway through The Silmarillion. Not that there wasn't intersrting stuff, but again, it was so dull. And his stories are all based heavily on pre existing mythology so how much of a genius can he be?
All literature is derivative, that's just the way it is. The genius is taking all those previous stories and using them to create a new story.

When I was in high school, my friend was a total fan of Tolkein but I could never get into his books. A couple of years later when I was very sick, all I had to read was the Hobbit and the first LotR book. I read those two and then had to go out to get the other two and ended up reading them all in just a few days. I think you have to be in the right "place" mentally to read them--if I have a lot going on, there are some types of books I just can't read (like the recently found Dumas book)

OTOH, you might indeed be "spoiled" by movies, which present everything in a way in which you don't really have to do any of the work. I worry about myself when I can't focus on a good book, but it's usually just because I have too much going on to settle in.
I'm a big fan of the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, but I will need to put of getting the new work until I have finished LoTR's.  I have been stuck at the chapter just leaving Lothlórien for the past few days.
Can anyone recommend a good and simple article or book geared towards a teenager that underscores the implicit Christian themes of J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion?  My fear is that this generation's young fantasy readers may see the works of Tolkien, Lewis, etc. as little different than the pagan pantheons and mythos fiction that makes up the bulk of the genre today.