High Fructose Corn Syrup
What's the deal with high fructose corn syrup? I noticed that a few posters had negative opinions of it in the "soothing beverage of choice" thread.
(05-12-2009, 09:40 PM)Tinuviel Wrote: What's the deal with high fructose corn syrup? I noticed that a few posters had negative opinions of it in the "soothing beverage of choice" thread.

They use it because it is cheap and "addictive" and it has no benefit at all, and has many negative effects.

Look at food products for it. It is shoved into almost everything without care. I don't know their intentions, but I do know its effects.
What are some of the negative effects? What are some good sources on this subject? Also, is there any nutritional benefit at all to sweeteners like honey or raw cane sugar? I always some honey to plain yogurt if I'm eating it with fruit.

A little while ago I was at a rest stop looking at the vending machine. They make Burger King "onion rings" in a bag now. I am afraid to know what ingredients or process that might actually entail. I can still eat fast food every now and then, but I'm getting more and more weirded out by food that I know can only come from labs, and I tend to avoid it.

Has any one looked at the ingredients on Mountain Dew lately?? :o

I find artificially low fat or sugar free versions of common foods to be similarly odd.  ???

On a more positive note, I just got a $2 copy of Ruth Reichl's Gourmet Cookbook on Amazon. Over 1000 simple, from-scratch dishes. Score. :-)
(05-12-2009, 09:59 PM)Tinuviel Wrote: What are some of the negative effects? What are some good sources on this subject?
The corn industry is quick to counter any claims and this means that any source is subject to doubt. You can find something to counter anything stated. One thing that can't be denied are the effects of sugar as a whole, and since HFCS is added to many things, it can be logically assumed to be not a good thing.

Also, it is artificially formed. When in doubt, go with what God made.

Quote: Also, is there any nutritional benefit at all to sweeteners like honey or raw cane sugar? I always some honey to plain yogurt if I'm eating it with fruit.
All are sugars and have high glycemic indices. However, honey and raw cane sugar may have other health benefits. No hard data here, but in societies where people eat raw cane sugar a lot, they don't have a lot of dental problems. Contrast this to the modern processed carbs dental effect.

Honey is healthy when raw and has many good properties besides its taste.

Quote:I find artificially low fat or sugar free versions of common foods to be similarly odd.  ???
Yes, that is odd. Instead of messing with natural foods, they should just not make artificially bloated foods.

(05-12-2009, 09:59 PM)Tinuviel Wrote: On a more positive note, I just got a $2 copy of Ruth Reichl's Gourmet Cookbook on Amazon. Over 1000 simple, from-scratch dishes. Score. :-)

$2?  Nice.  It's a good, encyclopedic cookbook.  It's not really "Gourmet", at least in the conventional sense of the word.  But it is COMPREHENSIVE.  You can find a recipe for just about anything you want to cook.
(05-12-2009, 09:40 PM)Tinuviel Wrote: What's the deal with high fructose corn syrup? I noticed that a few posters had negative opinions of it in the "soothing beverage of choice" thread.

There have been unfavorable study results for years.  Here's one:

Missing Link Between Fructose, Insulin Resistance Found

ScienceDaily (Mar. 9, 2009) — A new study in mice sheds light on the insulin resistance that can come from diets loaded with high-fructose corn syrup, a sweetener found in most sodas and many other processed foods. The report in the March issue of Cell Metabolism also suggests a way to prevent those ill effects.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...123802.htm
It's in almost everything - just like aspartame.
Nice pure refined white sugar is much better for you. 

Christina
So what's the way to go if you enjoy sweets but aren't ready to just eat fruit all the time? I mean for someone where at least one person in the family is willing to make desserts instead of buying them. Regular white sugar is one option, of course, but is there another option for the more health-conscious -- preferably one that isn't too expensive?

I cook a lot and I have to say that in general I don't care for corn syrup. It doesn't have much of a taste other than its extreme sweetness. I have replaced it with molasses for some recipes.
(05-14-2009, 03:07 PM)Satori Wrote: So what's the way to go if you enjoy sweets but aren't ready to just eat fruit all the time? I mean for someone where at least one person in the family is willing to make desserts instead of buying them. Regular white sugar is one option, of course, but is there another option for the more health-conscious -- preferably one that isn't too expensive?
"white sugar" is not white. It is brown. They make it white (one process involving bones of dead animals). Look for natural sugars such as honey.