High Fructose Corn Syrup
Honey in tea is best. It's antimicrobial, an excellent antioxidant and It did Saint Ambrose plenty of good  ;D

(05-14-2009, 03:07 PM)Satori Wrote: So what's the way to go if you enjoy sweets but aren't ready to just eat fruit all the time? I mean for someone where at least one person in the family is willing to make desserts instead of buying them. Regular white sugar is one option, of course, but is there another option for the more health-conscious -- preferably one that isn't too expensive?

I cook a lot and I have to say that in general I don't care for corn syrup. It doesn't have much of a taste other than its extreme sweetness. I have replaced it with molasses for some recipes.

One option which is becoming more readily available is Stevia - it's a natural plant-based sweetener that is much sweeter than sugar (thus you use much less).  Also better for those with blood sugar problems. 

My husband tends to be hypoglecemic, so I make muffins and such for him with molasses, honey, and/or apple juice concentrate - the type that comes in a soda-type can.  I use it straight instead of sweetener and liquid.

Christina
(05-14-2009, 10:16 PM)Melita Wrote: Honey in tea is best. It's antimicrobial, an excellent antioxidant and It did Saint Ambrose plenty of good  ;D

Perfect for a sore throat too  (I usually add a little lemon to mine too).
(05-14-2009, 11:30 PM)DeiMateralma Wrote: Perfect for a sore throat too  (I usually add a little lemon to mine too).

A cup of water with a dash of honey and apple cidar vinegar will clear up any congestion and fix most sore throats as well.
(05-14-2009, 11:30 PM)DeiMateralma Wrote:
(05-14-2009, 10:16 PM)Melita Wrote: Honey in tea is best. It's antimicrobial, an excellent antioxidant and It did Saint Ambrose plenty of good  ;D

Perfect for a sore throat too  (I usually add a little lemon to mine too).

1/4 tsp honey
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1C Irish Whisky
fill with ice, drink quickly.

Cures many 'an ailment.  Makes you stronger, better looking and funnier too.  Sometimes richer.  Always funnier.  I have empiracal proof.
I use stevia for drinks, especially lemonade and iced tea, but I don't like the results in baking. I usually use raw sugar in those cases. Has anyone tried agave syrup? Trader Joe's was selling a 1/2 and 1/2 formulation of pure maple syrup and agave syrup a while ago that looked promising, but I never got around to trying it.
Does raw sugar substitute 1/1 with white sugar, or do you have to adjust the amounts for baking? (I always wonder the same about white and wheat flour...)

WRC, lol :laughing:
Avoid it like the plague.
(05-12-2009, 09:59 PM)Tinuviel Wrote: Has any one looked at the ingredients on Mountain Dew lately?? :o

Woot!  Concentrated orange juice.  8)