One *primary* and *fundamental* Protestant error
Hey folks, your opinions please....

What, in your estimation, is the single, most significant, fundamental Protestant error?

And why?

One, only one, the big one. Please.
"Not without sorrow can we hear people continually claiming to love Christ but without the Church; to listen to Christ but not to the Church; to belong to Christ but outside of the Church. the absurdity of this dichotomy is clearly evident in this phrase of the Gospel: “Anyone who rejects you, rejects me."
Pope Paul VI

Sums it up perfectly for me.
(05-19-2009, 12:50 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Hey folks, your opinions please....

What, in your estimation, is the single, most significant, fundamental Protestant error?

And why?

One, only one, the big one. Please.

Sola scriptura.

It is the most serious because it is the bedrock of protestants.

They ignore history, tradition and truth for their fantasy that the Bible is somehow the only source, it was meant to be the only source, it is infallible and the words it has without accepting the Church. This is the hinge of the heresy I think. It is so fragile, yet so strong.
Pride. Everything revolves around this capital sin.
(05-19-2009, 05:39 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Pride. Everything revolves around this capital sin.

I agree with this. Ultimately, they failed in their obedience to the Holy See.
(05-19-2009, 06:51 PM)Melita Wrote:
(05-19-2009, 05:39 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Pride. Everything revolves around this capital sin.

I agree with this. Ultimately, they failed in their obedience to the Holy See.
+2
I agree with Rosarium: Sola Scriptura. It's a barefaced denial of the very nature and purpose of the Church which Christ founded, which is to save souls.

- Lisa
All of the above. But personally, I believe Protestantism to be a movement inspired by the devil to make its followers feel comfortable in sin all the while believing they are saved. And this, I believe, is the source of their fundamental error. The devil knows that he can't supplant the conscience inherent in God's human creation. Protestantism alleviates the guilt of sin by replacing it with an endorphin-based love for God, contentment in the world, and presumption of forgiveness.  It is a genius deception but not devoid of the most unfathomable evil.  The error, then, is their misconception of their love for God.
Everything that everyone else has mentioned, boils down to pride, I think.

Just where is Sola Scriptura in the Bible?  I still haven't found it.  I even looked in the KJV.  Anybody?
(05-19-2009, 11:29 PM)Texican Wrote: Just where is Sola Scriptura in the Bible?  I still haven't found it.  I even looked in the KJV.  Anybody?

It isn't. The Bible wasn't even a single book until the Catholic Church put it together and approved it four hundred years after Christ walked the earth.

2 Timothy 3:15-17 Wrote:And because from thy infancy thou hast known the holy scriptures, which can instruct thee to salvation, by the faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice, That the man of God may be perfect, furnished to every good work.

They use the bold (verse 16) as the justification, and they ignore the following verse!

Anyone who can read can see that that verse does not advocate sola scriptura, but they use it to mean that. I've even had Baptists say that the Catholic Church was the "original" Church, but it had erred and they, somehow, were the true church.