One *primary* and *fundamental* Protestant error
Fear of a lot of things - any particular thing in Catholicism that scared them so much that they couldn't deal with it. And the original founders found enough scared people to make a religion out of it.
(05-22-2009, 03:55 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: To study history is to become a Catholic (paraphrase of +Fulton Sheen) and it appears they simply refuse to do the former, therefor not the latter.

Brilliant. Well, to study true history, absolutely. What is taught by contemporary history books is not even remotely accurate. Taking a science class through a college a few years ago, I learned what the world is teaching as it pertains to Galileo's discoveries and the Catholic Church. To them, the Church is this big parasite that sucks up anything it disagrees with - inlcuding Galileo. Oh yes, and Christopher Columbus was an evil man who raped the Native Americans and pillaged their homes. He, along with his soldiers, torturned and brutally murdered these innocent Natives in order to satisfy his insatiable greed.
(05-22-2009, 03:55 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: To study history is to become a Catholic (paraphrase of +Fulton Sheen) and it appears they simply refuse to do the former, therefor not the latter.

"To be deep in history is to cease to be a Protestant." — John Henry Cardinal Newan
(05-22-2009, 09:15 AM)veritatem_dilexisti Wrote:

"To be deep in history is to cease to be a Protestant." — John Henry Cardinal Newan

Of course, as a Catholic himself, he was a little bias. I think Martin Luther's quotes about his own "reformation" speak for themselves.
(05-22-2009, 09:27 AM)INPEFESS Wrote:

Of course, as a Catholic himself, he was a little bias. I think Martin Luther's quotes about his own "reformation" speak for themselves.

But Cardinal Newman had been a Protestant before he was a Catholic.
(05-22-2009, 10:15 AM)PaxVobiscum Wrote:
(05-22-2009, 09:27 AM)INPEFESS Wrote:

But Cardinal Newman had been a Protestant before he was a Catholic.

Come to think of it...yeah. Good point! Check your tally: +1.
(05-20-2009, 02:26 PM)DJR Wrote:
(05-19-2009, 12:50 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Hey folks, your opinions please....

What, in your estimation, is the single, most significant, fundamental Protestant error?

And why?

One, only one, the big one. Please.
Permitting Tammy Faye to wear all that makeup.

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.

:laughing:
(05-19-2009, 05:39 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Pride. Everything revolves around this capital sin.
ditto
(05-20-2009, 02:26 PM)DJR Wrote:

What, in your estimation, is the single, most significant, fundamental Protestant error?

And why?

Permitting Tammy Faye to wear all that makeup.

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.

Oh, Tammy Faye,...she was hot.

Hey, has anyone noticed that Tammy Faye is being reincarnated in Pam Anderson?

And why?

Once saved, always saved.

With all their Bible study, how can they miss Paul's worrying that despite all his work, he might lose his salvation?

1 Corinthians 9

26 I therefore so run, not as at an uncertainty: I so fight, not as one beating the air:
27 But I chastise my body, and bring it into subjection: lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway.

What about Matthew 7:21?  Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven.

"Doth the will." That would imply more action than just hitting your knees and saying the sinner's prayer, Jack Chick-style.

The final score in life ain't decided until the last second, like a basketball game. To say you're saved before you actually stand in Judgment is totally wrong.