What's for dinner?
Making a weekly menu plan helps all of this stuff.  I promise.  We do it every week. 

I'm a bachelor for a few days while the lovely Mrs. WRC visits some friends out of town.  So last night, I had 3 hot dogs and 2 pints of beer, some leftover cole slaw and 4 powdered sugar donettes.  Lunch today is PB&J, leftover cole slaw and a granola bar.  Tonight will be microwaved tilapia covered in that lemon-pepper stuff.  I might heat up a can of corn with it, we'll see.  Forecast for Saturday includes more hot dogs and beer.  Does relish count as a vegetable?  Bachelor life requires very few vegetables.  Cigar tobacco comes from plants, so I'm going to smoke a vegetable while I mow the lawn tomorrow too.

Our weiner dog, Frank, eats 2 daily meals of Science Diet (lamb kibble) and he complains very little.  When I started devising ways for him to go meatless on Fridays (like good Catholic dogs should), Mrs. WRC complained very much.  She's never been on board with the Friday-abstinance thing.
Dad's Stuffed Bell Peppers

INGREDIENTS
4 green or red bell peppers
Salt
5 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 lb of lean ground beef
1 1/2 cup of cooked rice or 3/4 cup of raw instant rice
1 cup chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp of dried oregano
Fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
Dash of Tabasco sauce

METHOD
1 Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, cut top off peppers 1 inch from the stem end, and remove seeds. Add several generous pinches of salt to boiling water, then add peppers and boil, using a spoon to keep peppers completely submerged, until brilliant green (or red if red peppers) and their flesh slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Drain, set aside to cool.
2 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat 4 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat, add meat, rice, tomatoes, and oregano, and season generously with salt and pepper. Mix well.
3 Drizzle remaining 1 tbsp. Oil inside peppers, arrange cut side up in a baking dish, then stuff peppers with filling. Combine ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, and 1/4 cup of water in a small bowl, then spoon over filling. Add 1/4 cup of water to the baking dish. Place in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes (or longer, depending on how big the peppers are that you are stuffing), until the internal temperature of the stuffed pepper is 150-160°F.
Serves 4.
Nobody wants to eat what we're having for two reasons.  First, we're vegan.  Second,  I've switched to cold summer suppers because it's going to be TOO HOT to cook or eat hot food until October.  Tonight we're having muesli, soy yogurt, flax seeds, and mixed berries.   Last night we had salad (mixed greens, tomato, cuke, carrot, sunflower seeds, alfalfa sprouts, dried cranberries, garbanzo beans, a little pasta, scallions and homemade garlic vinaigrette) with a fresh bagel.  Maybe tomorrow I'll do a stir fry with tofu but only if it's overcast - if not, it's gazpacho.

My mom was an awesome cook (she only eats out now), and about half the time she used recipes - the other half of the time she served fresh food with minimal preparation like roasted meat, baked potato, salad.   If she could figure out how to use the internet she'd probably tell all y'all to eat cassoulet (sub chicken for duck).  Here's a recipe:

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/03/ca...in_10.html

She'd also tell you to eat paella:

http://www.spain-recipes.com/simple-paella-recipe.html

She'd probably tell you to have chicken cacciatore:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada...index.html

For dessert at this time of year you can get some fresh berries and cream and serve them over biscuits or angel food cake.
(05-22-2009, 09:18 AM)Magnificat Wrote: Nobody wants to eat what we're having for two reasons.  First, we're vegan.  Second,  I've switched to cold summer suppers because it's going to be TOO HOT to cook or eat hot food until October.  Tonight we're having muesli, soy yogurt, flax seeds, and mixed berries.   Last night we had salad (mixed greens, tomato, cuke, carrot, sunflower seeds, alfalfa sprouts, dried cranberries, garbanzo beans, a little pasta, scallions and homemade garlic vinaigrette) with a fresh bagel.  Maybe tomorrow I'll do a stir fry with tofu but only if it's overcast - if not, it's gazpacho.

I'd be interested in your vegan recipes.  Our family just recently became vegan to see if it would clear up a few health issues.  I can only eat so much seitan...

Since there are a few vegans on the board perhaps a Vegan Food Thread would be appropriate?

As for something that almost everyone likes, how about good old pasta?  Spaghetti is quick to make and the sauce can be changed up very easily.  We typically make a big dutch oven full of very basic to last us a week and warm up what we need.  While warming up our portion we'll change it up by adding different veggies and such.  You could switch up it up by adding a little hamburger one night, some grilled chicken the next time, etc.  If there is much left over by the end of the week I typically turn it into Tomato Gravy by adding roux and spicing it up.  Tomato gravy is served over rice.

I'm in a cooking rut too, but it's not my fault  :laughing:  It's everyone else's fault.  Every dinner has to follow a million rules:

No dairy
No eggs
No nuts
No pasta
No tomato sauce

I've been getting way too much take out because I just can't handle this anymore.  All I want is a nice plate of lasagna.  Sigh.
(05-22-2009, 10:51 AM)ErinIsNice Wrote: I'm in a cooking rut too, but it's not my fault  :laughing:  It's everyone else's fault.  Every dinner has to follow a million rules:

No dairy
No eggs
No nuts
No pasta
No tomato sauce

I've been getting way too much take out because I just can't handle this anymore.  All I want is a nice plate of lasagna.  Sigh.
That's part of my problem, too. My 9 yo daughter has just decided that all she really wants IS lasagna (or any other cheese, pasta, sauce combo).

I really like the idea of vegetarian (ovo-lacto, sorry, not ready to go vegan). I could be perfectly happy to serve green salad and fruit for dinner, with a side of good, dark bread and butter, but then I might have a mutiny on my hands.

edited to add: yes, I've explained to family that I'm not a short-order cook and they eat what I serve. I do try to involve the family, though, but with 7 of us, it's getting tricky.
(05-22-2009, 12:16 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: My 9 yo daughter has just decided that all she really wants IS lasagna

Is your daughter secretly Garfield?
[Image: 447.jpg]
(05-22-2009, 08:54 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Making a weekly menu plan helps all of this stuff.  I promise.  We do it every week. 

I'm a bachelor for a few days while the lovely Mrs. WRC visits some friends out of town.  So last night, I had 3 hot dogs and 2 pints of beer, some leftover cole slaw and 4 powdered sugar donettes.  

If my children would have read the above, their only comment would be "Lucky."
ResRev -

Easiest thing in the world:

Chicken with Lime in it's Butt

(really, it goes in the other side, but I didn't name this dish)

Get a chicken.

get a lime.

get 2 beef bullion cubes.

Rinse off a whole chicken, unwrap the beef bullion cubes, wash off the whole, uncut, unpeeled lime.

put the cubes and the whole lime inside the chicken.

Cover.

Bake.

Three minutes of prep, cheap, and it's really, really good.

Serve with rice or mashed potatoes and a salad.
How about grilling a pair of steaks?  Or some pork medallions?  Make a steamed vegetable and some white rice, and it's a meal ... and your husband will probably want to do the grilling anyway, so it divides up the work.

Marinate the steaks or pork in a mixture of balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, chopped or ground garlic, and a little olive oil.  Leave the pork in for most of the day; the beef you can leave for an hour before cooking.

Get the grill really hot, and slap the meat on it.  The heat will sear the surface, sealing in the juices.  Once each side has been seared, move the meat to a cooler part of the grill, and cover it.  Let it stand until it reaches your preferred level of doneness.  The pork should be fully cooked.

Or you could make a stir-fry with a side of rice.

Or you could make grilled sandwiches, like panini.  Slice some leftover meat or use lunch meat, cheese, and maybe sliced mushrooms or bell peppers to stuff the sandwiches.  Press them by putting a foil-wrapped brick or a heavy pot on top of them as you cook them on a skillet.  For a side dish, fries (you can buy them frozen) or pasta salad, or veg salad.