Gaining weight....
Ok I'm trying to gain some weight. Now that I have a lot of free time I'm exercising regularly again. However my diet is not very good or consistent. Everyone tells me I have to eat healthy and alot to gain weight. But I have trouble with that. For example: on Monday I had a great workout and for the next two days I was eating everything in sight, whether it was good or not. But then yesterday I worked out again, had a brief lunch and spent the rest of the day doing physical activities with outdoor chores and had NO appetite. Same thing today. I spent several hours moving furniture and doing yard work, yet I had no appetite at all. Do you know why this might be?

And I have trouble knowing what I should be eating? Are there certain foods I should be concentrating on? Do you find it inconvenient? How do you manage?
(05-21-2009, 08:20 PM)didishroom Wrote: Ok I'm trying to gain some weight. Now that I have a lot of free time I'm exercising regularly again. However my diet is not very good or consistent. Everyone tells me I have to eat healthy and alot to gain weight. But I have trouble with that. For example: on Monday I had a great workout and for the next two days I was eating everything in sight, whether it was good or not. But then yesterday I worked out again, had a brief lunch and spent the rest of the day doing physical activities with outdoor chores and had NO appetite. Same thing today. I spent several hours moving furniture and doing yard work, yet I had no appetite at all. Do you know why this might be?

And I have trouble knowing what I should be eating? Are there certain foods I should be concentrating on? Do you find it inconvenient? How do you manage?

First, if you have no health concerns, ignore "weight". Look at ability first. Focusing on external appearance is not only futile (physical appearance is a reflection of genetics and ability) but can lead to vanity and doing stupid things.

So, focus on ability. For body mass, intense activity at a relatively high volume with amble rest results in increased muscle mass.

For exercise, I recommed this book: http://www.dragondoor.com/b31.html

Do not get books designed for "bodybuilding" or bulking up! They focus on externals to the detriment of the body's ability.

Also, accept there is a limit and give thanks to God for what you have been given :)
Everybody's body is different, and what works for some won't necessarily work for others. Grains are what  I need to gain weight, or slow the loss from nursing which I'm barely managing to do. Adding fat works for some people, some can put an unsaturated fat on their food (douse everything in EVOO) and it works, others need saturated fats. You'll have to figure out which kind of person you are.

I lose my appetite with exercise as well, especially in the heat. I don't know what to suggest except maybe force down a lightweight snack to keep up your blood sugar and make up for it in the evening when you're feeling munchier?
(05-21-2009, 08:31 PM)matut Wrote: Everybody's body is different,
Technically, everyone's body is the same.

Quote: and what works for some won't necessarily work for others.
The same general principals apply. The application of them can vary.

Quote: Grains are what  I need to gain weight, or slow the loss from nursing which I'm barely managing to do. Adding fat works for some people, some can put an unsaturated fat on their food (douse everything in EVOO) and it works, others need saturated fats. You'll have to figure out which kind of person you are.
Assuming metabolic processes are human...it won't matter.

Maybe you should try eating more interesting food.
(05-21-2009, 08:36 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(05-21-2009, 08:31 PM)matut Wrote: Everybody's body is different,
Technically, everyone's body is the same.

Quote: and what works for some won't necessarily work for others.
The same general principals apply. The application of them can vary.

Quote: Grains are what  I need to gain weight, or slow the loss from nursing which I'm barely managing to do. Adding fat works for some people, some can put an unsaturated fat on their food (douse everything in EVOO) and it works, others need saturated fats. You'll have to figure out which kind of person you are.
Assuming metabolic processes are human...it won't matter.

With all due respect, that is untrue. Metabolisms vary greatly and are influenced by our unique genes and mutations there of. At the very least, no two adults have the exact same composition of gut flora. Combine that with varying levels of functionality of the vilii of the intestines, methylation, liver function, unrecogized Igg/IgA food sensitivities, etc. and you end up with different foods digesting and metabolizing differently.  If you need resources I'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction when I have a little more time.
Sure, there are differences in exactly how each person's metabolism works, but there are major similarities in biology that we can count on too.  We all process the three macronutrients for energy, we all use insulin to control blood sugar, etc.  Often, "Everyone's body is different," really means, "I don't want to do what it takes to fix mine."  (Not speaking for anyone here.)

If you want to gain weight, eat grain.  Farmers have been fattening animals with it for thousands of years, and it works like a charm on humans too.  Of course, fattened livestock only have to survive a few months to years....
Quote:First, if you have no health concerns, ignore "weight". Look at ability first. Focusing on external appearance is not only futile (physical appearance is a reflection of genetics and ability) but can lead to vanity and doing stupid things.
Well it's not weight in of itself. I feel, because of my bad eating habits and odd metabolism, that I'm not giving my body proper fuel after putting it through the stress of exercising. I know I'm not eating right, because I'm not gaining weight or retaining strength. It's almost random. One week I can do so much, but then the next I'm even further behind than I was before.

Quote:Do not get books designed for "bodybuilding" or bulking up! They focus on externals to the detriment of the body's ability.
I learned that the hard way in high school.

Quote:Also, accept there is a limit and give thanks to God for what you have been given Smiley
Oh believe me, I'm not aiming for a Hollywood/model body. I'm just frustrated by my body's inconsistencies and I feel it's largely related to diet. I know I've no where reached my potential and I just want to get healthy and take good care of my body. That's all, really.
(05-21-2009, 09:30 PM)Mhoram Wrote: Sure, there are differences in exactly how each person's metabolism works, but there are major similarities in biology that we can count on too.  We all process the three macronutrients for energy, we all use insulin to control blood sugar, etc.  Often, "Everyone's body is different," really means, "I don't want to do what it takes to fix mine."  (Not speaking for anyone here.)

Sure but if the ol' calories-in/calories-out was working for the OP, I assume she wouldn't have posted.

When I say "every body is different" I mean the exact opposite of what you said. If you assume every body is the same, there is the idea that once you've tried the standard advice, you can accept whatever results that gave you and go no further.

Sorry for hijacking - I'm quite finished
Quote:Sure but if the ol' calories-in/calories-out was working for the OP, I assume she wouldn't have posted.

I'm all man, honey!  :)