For Those Who Only Go To The Novus Ordo, When A TLM Is Avaialble, A Question
(05-29-2009, 08:28 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(05-24-2009, 03:27 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: Ok, I really don't want this to sound rude as I know it is going to, but ... that has absolutely nothing to do with my post. I am not disputing any of what you posted. My reply simply stated that the purpose of the Mass was the propitiatory Sacrifice of Christ. I showed this by explaining that a Mass is still a Mass even if the laity are present but do not receive, present but do not understand the Word of God, and present but do not advance spiritually. Masses were said over and over again by the Missionaries in North America (to Native Americans) and it was no less the Mass in those circumstance than it is today. The Mass subsists in the Sacrifice. This is its purpose. All else is the subsidiary effects or contributing elements of the Sacrifice. We could not even receive the Eucarist without it. Because the Mass subsists in the Sacrifice which is meant to please God, it is the reverence of the Sacrifice which should be most important to us; and because we are there to please God rather than ourselves (desiring to please God will be pleasing to us), we must be certain that God is being pleased and not defiled.

Well, friend, I guess we don't understand each other or maybe we just disagree. Let me erase the drawing board and start over: There would be no Mass – no Calvary – no need to please God with a sacrifice bloody or unbloody if MAN had not sinned in the first place. Had Adam and Eve remained in their original innocence we would all be continuously and perpetually “pleasing to God.”

But we sinned. And it was in God’s Divine Plan to save us in the manner that He saved us. Jesus came to reconcile sinners to the Father – to bridge the gap between heaven and earth. And so in this sense the Mass is for us – that we may receive the Body of Christ and be in union with Him and thus with the Father. Are we still on the same page?

And it is precisely because the Father is focused on (and pleased with) the Sacrifice of His Son, that the externals of the Mass (given a legitimate priesthood, form, matter, and intent) are probably not as important to God as we like to believe they are. Do I think God is displeased with a Mass offered in the vernacular? My answer is No. Do I think God is displeased with Latin? Greek? Aramaic? No. No. No. Do I think God is upset because a Eucharistic prayer is said once as opposed to three times? No. Do I think God is looking down into the congregation and counting all the mantillas or lack of mantillas? No, in fact I think He’s probably concerned with the state of their hearts, not their heads.

BUT… if you are asking me if the prayers and hymns and overall reverence of the Latin Mass makes THE PEOPLE more predisposed to grace? My answer would be “Probably Yes.” And that would be more pleasing to God, obviously.

That said, there’s no gain in belaboring this “we-are-there-to-please-God-and-not-ourselves” business. You know why you attend a Latin Mass. And it is you who are "displeased" with the Novus Ordo. Can we be certain that “God is defiled” at a valid Mass be it Extraordinary Form, Ordinary Form, or any one of the many Eastern rites? No, we can never be certain. We have stated our liturgical preferences so let’s leave it go at that.

- Lisa

Lisa, though I strongly disagree with much of what you said (and with good reason), especially this statement:

Quote:Can we be certain that “God is defiled” at a valid Mass be it Extraordinary Form, Ordinary Form, or any one of the many Eastern rites? No, we can never be certain.

...I won't burden you anymore with my posts as I know they can be tedious; I'll do you a favor and "...leave it go at that."  :)

God bless you, Lisa, et benedicamus Domino!
(05-29-2009, 08:57 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: ...I won't burden you anymore with my posts as I know they can be tedious; I'll do you a favor and "...leave it go at that."  :)  God bless you, Lisa, et benedicamus Domino!

I don't think your posts are tedious. :)  God bless you too, Inpefess.

- Lisa
(05-29-2009, 09:44 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(05-29-2009, 08:57 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: ...I won't burden you anymore with my posts as I know they can be tedious; I'll do you a favor and "...leave it go at that."  :)  God bless you, Lisa, et benedicamus Domino!

I don't think your posts are tedious. :)  God bless you too, Inpefess.

- Lisa

Thank you and please pray for me.
(05-29-2009, 11:03 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: Thank you and please pray for me.

I sure will.. Please pray for me too.
(05-29-2009, 11:23 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(05-29-2009, 11:03 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: Thank you and please pray for me.

I sure will.. Please pray for me too.

Of course I will.