Antidepressants and nursing
(05-26-2009, 10:17 AM)mom Wrote: I can give you the heirarchy of anti-depressants and breastfeeding from Hale if you want, I just don't have it handy right now.
Zoloft is number 1 but it doesn't work for everyone and is often useless against anxiety which can be a major issue in PPD.
I will PM with some more personal information

Look above! Hale's hierarchy is right  up there.  :laughing:
(05-27-2009, 01:43 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote:
(05-26-2009, 10:17 AM)mom Wrote: I can give you the heirarchy of anti-depressants and breastfeeding from Hale if you want, I just don't have it handy right now.
Zoloft is number 1 but it doesn't work for everyone and is often useless against anxiety which can be a major issue in PPD.
I will PM with some more personal information

Look above! Hale's hierarchy is right  up there.  :laughing:

After I posted that I saw it. :D :pazzo: What I get for not reading the entire thread before hitting reply.
That list is missing a few though like Cymbalta, Lexapro and Wellbutrin. Odds are that if she chooses the SSRI route she will be given Zoloft anyway.

I, for one, am super grateful for his research and books. It has saved my bacon more than once. I am planning on buying a copy of his book for medical professionals for my GP. She, like most docs, knows almost nothing about medications and breastfeeding but unlike many docs, is very willing to learn. Ironically, the most educated doc I ever ran into regarding breastfeeding and meds. A gastroenterologist. :shrug:

I sent Paloma a loooonngggg PM. Hope it helps. If she has insomnia reading it may help :D
Luvenalis - Thank you for the link and info.

Mom - I did get your PM and it was very helpful.  Not at all boring.  Thank you.  :laughing:

I really need to get the Dr. Hale book. I've never heard of it until recently.  Numerous times in the past, I've been told by doctors that I would have to stop breast feeding in order to take medications (painkillers and even antibiotics) only to find out much later that it wouldn't have been a problem or that there was a suitable substitute.  I never gave up breastfeeding, I just put off the medication which probably wasn't a good thing.