Make Your Own Deodorant
(06-29-2009, 02:56 PM)Deidre Wrote: I "went natural" with my shampoo (using baking soda and vinegar rinses), and it turned out great,

what is your recipe for this?
Yeah, but does it work? Not so much the stink, I'm sure it would work that way, but the antiperspirant part.
nope -

it's just a deodorant - but that works for some people.

I think that even the natural deodorant crystals have aluminum in them, for dryness.
(07-01-2009, 10:12 PM)libby Wrote: nope -

it's just a deodorant - but that works for some people.

I think that even the natural deodorant crystals have aluminum in them, for dryness.

They do contain alum, which is sometimes but not exclusively aluminum sulfate.They do not contain Al4, which has some documented health risks associated with it.
When I stopped using deodorant, I started getting compliments on my aroma.  I'm a big, sweaty guy, too, and my wife isn't the least bit shy about telling me if I stink, so this was a bit of a surprise.  I don't claim to know for sure why it worked that way, but I think there's a theory that deodorants tend to clog the sweat glands, so the sweat sort of festers there under the surface, and when it does seep through, it stinks worse than if you perspire freely.

On a related note, after discovering that baking soda makes a good shampoo, I tried a test.  For a couple months, I used nothing but baking soda in the shower.  I'd scrub my entire body every day with a rough washcloth or brush covered with baking soda, and maybe once a week do my hair too.  Apparently I was just as clean and sweet-smelling as ever.  The downside is that it takes longer to scrub yourself thoroughly than to run a bar of soap across your skin, so I've gradually gone back to using soap just to save time.  But if money gets really tight, I know I'll be able to stay clean for a long time with a big $2 box of baking soda.
3 T Coconut oil
3 T Soda
2 T Shell Butter
2 T Arrowroot (optional)
Essential oils (optional)
Dissolve Shea Butter and Coconut Oil in a Double Burner on a Moderate Fire until a Dissolved UPDATE :. Combine a 1 liter glass ceramic vessel with a lid place and place it in a small jiyu aluminum saucepan of water until it does not melt It will save your bowl and you. Just fix this container for these types of projects, even the need to wash it.
Remove from heat and add edible soda and arrowroot (If you do not have arrowroot, use more food soda)
Mix well
Add essential oils and pour into a glass storage container. It may not be stored in a refrigerator.
If you want, you can let it cool down and put it in an old deodorant stick for ease of use, even though it can dissolve in the summer!
kingpanel, it's hard to milk a shell, let alone turn it into butter.

...I'll see myself out.  :grin:
(07-01-2009, 09:29 PM)Spooky Wrote: Yeah, but does it work? Not so much the stink, I'm sure it would work that way, but the antiperspirant part.

As a person with Hyperhidrosis, I've literally tried everything known to man including the homemade stuff. 

The gentle, natural, homemade products are nice as de-ODERANT.  They do not a darn thing for sweat.

I've found the Dove Dry Spray is excellent for daily use.  For high-stress situations, it is the pharmacy grade stuff + dress shields.
I have an allergy to propylene glycol, which is in many toiletry products, including many brands of deodorant, which results resulting in skin peeling, cracking, and bleeding. I wonder if there may be some genetic component, since a family member had a reaction to "vaping" a solution including propylene glycol. Note that many of the so-called natural brands still contain propylene glycol and will still trigger a reaction if you have a sensitivity.