Bishop Sanborn responds to the "rupture theology" article
(06-02-2009, 12:36 PM)Borromeo Wrote: Inpefess,

I would answer that as a Catholic I am bound to believe the Scriptures are inspired by God.  I am not bound to believe that my next door neighbor who lived in the 1930s as a Catholic is inspired by God or any other history book for that matter. 

My argument here is the same argument I had with a professor of physics.  To some extent, objective "truth" whether that be scientific truths or spiritual truths, will be tinged with subjectivity because the lens we are viewing from is tainted by our on perspectives and these perspectives are formed from our own lived experience, environment, conditioning.  I don't see any way around that.  Archbishop Lefebvre is a perfect example of this.  He was formed by his environment, post French Revolution, not to mention the "French" culture itself.  (If anyone has spent time in France with the French they will understand my meaning.)  That is not to demean him, it is merely to place his words into context. 

Having said that, this argument can be applied to Progressives in the Catholic Church today as much as Traditionalists.  Both are far too extreme, in my opinion, and need to find a balance. But since it doesn't seem likely they either side will do that anytime soon, I think it is up to each individual Catholic to form that balance within him or herself.  That is all I am trying to do. 

Pope Benedict XVI said it nicely in his book Credo.  He said (and I am paraphrasing) that both sides want to form their own church suitable to how they think she should be and that in doing so both sides merely want to prove they are "right."    The man is extremely wise and has tremendous insight into human nature.   We, as Catholics, are quite lucky to have him as Pope. 

You are really lost,  Borromeo. Btw, what was Fr. Joseph Ratzinger's "context"?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Bishop Sanborn responds to the "rupture theology" article - by lamentabili sane - 06-02-2009, 01:06 PM