Bishop Sanborn responds to the "rupture theology" article
(06-04-2009, 10:33 PM)newschoolman Wrote:
(06-04-2009, 10:27 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(06-04-2009, 10:19 PM)newschoolman Wrote:
Quote:"obeying the moral law" CANNOT include practicing a false religion.

That's not correct.  Even an honestly erroneous conscience is binding under pain of sin.  The moral law commands that we obey it -- and failure to do so is a sin.  Now, the law cannot command and forbid the same thing -- and that is why there is a correlative right to do our moral duty. 

I must be mistaken. I'm not asking this sarcastically or cynically; I'm asking this seriously: how can a conscience be "erronious"? Where is this in Catholic theology? The conscience is directed by God to always seek Objective Truth. If a conscience is misled, it is the product of the rejection of grace.

Conscience must still rely on the intellect to make a correct judgement regarding the objectively true and good.  Here is a little something:

Quote:If a man is not obliged to follow an invincibly erroneous conscience; then he is not obliged to follow a correct conscience. Precisely because the error is invincible a man has no means of detecting it. Hence he cannot distinguish between a correct conscience and an invincibly erroneous conscience. Both are the same to him. Hence if he must obey in one case, he must obey in the other.
The same conclusion follows from a consideration of the will act.  The will act becomes good or bad inasmuch as it embraces an object, not as the object is in itself, but as the object is presented by the intellect as good or bad.  (Higgins, Man as Man, The Science and Art of Ethics, 1958, TAN Reprint 1992, p. 135)

Thank you, too.

Edit: I don't claim to be the author of Truth, so maybe I can learn something here.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Bishop Sanborn responds to the "rupture theology" article - by INPEFESS - 06-04-2009, 10:42 PM