Bishop Sanborn responds to the "rupture theology" article
lamentabili sane Wrote:
Quote:LS, you are turning a blind eye on the facts.  Moral theology has been clear and consistent on this point for ever.  I think you wilfully choose not to see it.
It is false. Conscience is not a little voice in your head that tells you what you should do.

A man has a moral right to act in conformity with the moral law. He has no right, in the strict sense of the term, to violate that law. A divine precept revealed to man constitutes a divine positive law. It is not possible to speak of a man's moral right to disregard or disobey such a divine precept.
Could you both please give sources for the exact statements you are saying? There ought to be some moral theology manual that explains this. I thought as Catholics we are bound to follow our conscience and what our intellects present to our wills as good, whether or not it is objectively good or not. What man would go against his own conscience but a sinner anyways? And is not a sinner strictly speaking merely one who goes against what his own conscience tells him is right and good? My catechism says that if you do something objectively good, honestly thinking it was evil, then you have sinned anyway.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Bishop Sanborn responds to the "rupture theology" article - by GodFirst - 06-05-2009, 12:30 AM